Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Removed rear hubs, bearings seemed to stay intact.. suggestions?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bill Meyer
Installing new 5 lug hubs and upon removal of the old hubs the bearings stayed in place, hubs came out fairly easy really. Bearings have less than 5K miles on them and the hubs were greased a bit, so I assume that's why it came out so well.

...so, do I need to replace them as is always suggested? The inner races did slide out a touch, maybe 2mm, but slide right back into place and feel smooth. Is the fact that they moved at all mean they are trashed?

Thanks for any help!
underthetire
Run em. They are angular contact bearings, they will always move a little till tightened down. usually the inner race pops out of the outer completely, thats when they are trashed IMO.
sww914
agree.gif
Eric_Shea
Seriously? WTF.gif
Bill Meyer
Well, Eric seems to think I'm nuts I guess. sad.gif Maybe I'll just order some new bearings so I'm not asking him next year why my nearly new bearings failed..

Eric_Shea
I think the replies you got are nuts... The only stupid question is one that goes unasked, and, they're not cheap so, I don't blame you.

It's a split race (radial taper) bearing and it's not meant to be reused.
roadster fan
To remove the hub from the bearing did you beat on it with a hammer and socket, or draw it out with a puller?

If you hit it at all, dont run it. If you pulled it out, maybe.....your choice, but.....how much do they cost again?

new bearings is the right way to go, but it will be a few $.

Jim
Bill Meyer
I used a slide hammer to draw them out. They really seem fine, but what do I know. Cheap insurance I guess, I'll order some new ones.

Thanks all!
Elliot Cannon
I'm a little confused. Are these rear bearings you're talking about? If they are they're ball bearings and the race has to be removed with a puller. Well, I guess you don't HAVE to use a puller, but it sure is easier. If they weren't making any noise before you pulled the hubs, didn't sustain any damage when you pulled them and only have 5,000 miles on them, why not re-use them?
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ May 17 2011, 12:43 AM) *

I'm a little confused. Are these rear bearings you're talking about? If they are they're ball bearings and the race has to be removed with a puller. Well, I guess you don't HAVE to use a puller, but it sure is easier. If they weren't making any noise before you pulled the hubs, didn't sustain any damage when you pulled them and only have 5,000 miles on them, why not re-use them?

Because he hit them. This causes damage to the bearing race and or the balls. It may feel smooth by hand but noisy under load. Using a slide hammer is still using a hammer.
ChrisFoley
If the seals weren't damaged during hub removal I say don't change the bearings.
The bearing assembly cannot withstain much force before it comes apart, therefore whatever force was used with the slide hammer was likely insufficient to damage any of the balls.
Worry-warts.
76-914
My 2 cents and I'm not disputing what the guru's have said: I recently R&R'd my rear bearings. I forgot to install the bearing retainer plate before the hub so I removed the hub and reinstalled it after the retaining plate. Guess what? The new bearing was loose as a goose. I've still got it if anyone wants to use it. happy11.gif
stugray
I constantly hear "You cant beat on them" when the Haynes manual not only tells you to beat the hubs out, but shows a picture of a guy with a mallet.

I have two sets of trailing arms with what appear to be perfectly good bearings, but I bought new ones anyway.

Now I just need to find a shop that can press out the old & in with the new.

Stu
Eric_Shea
Now I just need to find a shop that can press out the old & in with the new.

It's really a nice drive. Come on over... biggrin.gif

I'd never reuse a split ring bearing but again, I'm not as smart as y'all. wink.gif
SLITS
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 17 2011, 08:24 AM) *

I'd never reuse a split ring bearing but again, I'm not as smart as y'all. wink.gif

Well, one thing is for sure .... you sure are a SMART assklown of the First Order.
underthetire
Still say it's a angular contact bearing. And they can be re-used if not damaged.
http://www.timken.com/en-us/products/beari...es/angular.aspx
sww914
If you don't replace them now and they prove to be bad, all you have to lose is the labor of pulling out the axles and hubs again. If you do replace them now you save that but you spend $150.00-$200.00 on bearings plus an hour or two more labor depending on your tools, skills, and work space.
I think it's worth the risk. On a customer's car I would replace them, no question. On my car I would run them without hesitation.
I blew the center races out of mine when I did my 5 lug conversion and I didn't have the money to buy new bearings. They were damaged and I knew it. I ran about 40 track days before I replaced them because they were getting noisy.
Bill Meyer
Looking at them closer today and the outer seal is slightly opened now, so stuff's gonna get in there. Might be ok for awhile, but I've convinced myself to replace. Ordering some today from Eric.

Thanks for all the replies.. and sorry to start a major bearing debate here. Bill
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Bill Meyer @ May 17 2011, 07:14 PM) *

Thanks for all the replies.. and sorry to start a major bearing debate here. Bill

1) Any thread that is complete in one page is not a major debate.
2) Any more, major debates is how we learn stuff...

No apology required...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.