Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where to Locate a Fuel pressure gauge-*got one
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DRPHIL914
I am going to install an in-line fuel pressure gauge and was wondering if it is better to locate the gauge in the line to the cold start valve, or between the rail and the pressure regulator on driver's side?

Thanks

PW
TheCabinetmaker
Small nipple on the drivers side fuel rail with a small bolt. Remove the bolt and hook pressure gauge there.
DRPHIL914
no nipple on my driver's side fuel rail , so ?
slu234
Mine is permanently mounted in line between the cold start valve and the driver's side fuel rail.

Brian
Cap'n Krusty
Why? Fuel pressure is rarely an issue, and adding something to the fuel loop only provides another couple of places to spring a leak.

The Cap'n
mrgjones
agree.gif Not that he needs a second, he is the Capn. If you suspect a problem, tee one in after the regulator then remove it once you're satisfied.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(mrgjones @ May 17 2011, 11:49 AM) *

agree.gif Not that he needs a second, he is the Capn. If you suspect a problem, tee one in after the regulator then remove it once you're satisfied.

sounds like a better idea- thanks-

Why? well while im going thru the whole system, (resurecting a car that sat a long time and after taking a lot apart and cleaning out, i replaced almost everyting, including a new regulator) so, i thought it would be good to make sure it was set right, i have no idea if the new regulator is set right unless it's tested.

PW.
StratPlayer
This is where I located my fuel pressure gauge..76 D-jet
euro911
Sweet looking drive train Jim smile.gif
jsayre914
QUOTE(slu234 @ May 17 2011, 09:50 AM) *

Mine is permanently mounted in line between the cold start valve and the driver's side fuel rail.

Brian

Mine is in the same place, never had a problem yet, and it has helped me to diagnose more than once

DRPHIL914
QUOTE(StratPlayer @ May 17 2011, 12:04 PM) *

This is where I located my fuel pressure gauge..76 D-jet

put mine in same place as yours saturday.

seems to be holding a steady 29.

now is running with new hotspark module and new coil.

can't get timing right(valves had been set and timing 500miles ago) and at that time idle was smooth at 1000 when warm, cant get it under 1500 with out loosing smooth idle and having the up and down surge.
no vacuum leak, - going off same mark as before tried setting timing at 3500 rpm but cant turn the distributor far enough to get it there.
should i adjust the dial on the timing light? should it be adjusted to a specific advance or be left at zero?

could it be the distributor was put in 180 off? it would't run then would it?

always something.

Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ May 18 2011, 11:58 AM) *

QUOTE(slu234 @ May 17 2011, 09:50 AM) *

Brian

Mine is in the same place, never had a problem yet, and it has helped me to diagnose more than once

And have you ever found a change in the operating fuel pressure from one time to the next?

The Cap'n
McMark
no vacuum leak,

That's a bold statement. I'm not sure I've ever been that confident of no vacuum leaks. wink.gif

Your distributor drive gear may be out of alignment. Check that first, using this thread.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(McMark @ May 23 2011, 01:24 PM) *

no vacuum leak,

That's a bold statement. I'm not sure I've ever been that confident of no vacuum leaks. wink.gif

Your distributor drive gear may be out of alignment. Check that first, using this thread.

Yea, i know what you are saying, so i will rephrase; i am fairly certain after having checked all connections that there is not a vacuum leak- i had the same thing going on last year, took it to a local shop had the valves set and he was able to get the idle down to @950 with no surging- so maybe have the valves rechecked again, but i will take a look at distributor alignment- first smile.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.