Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FS 914-6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
toolguy
OK My Homeowner Association, AKA the neighborhood Nazis, want me to stop the restoration of my car so unless I want a legal battle, it's for sale. . . this was a complete and running , original SIX, 4 months ago. . . Its now all apart and the chassis is on a rotisserie. It has been stripped and is now ready for top paint. . the under body, pan and fenderwells are finished and painted. . the engine ran fine, shifted properly, everything worked . . . . rarely driven. Speedo now at 22 k miles- It was un-driven and stored from 1995 to 2008. . . . It had $12K in shop work 3 years ago [ less than 300 miles since] to bring all maintenance up to date[receipt avail] and return to service.
This is a numbers matching, original 1970 043 factory silver metallic car. Located in San Diego, always a So Cal car.
$28000
IPB Image
IPB Image
carr914
Why don't you rent a storage space or small garage - that way you can finish it, keep it or allow you to more easily get your price

T.C.
Gustl
would you mind telling us the complete VIN ?
do you have a COA to proove it's matching numbers ?
JmuRiz
Don't let the HOA scare you, they typically have little-to-no actual power.
Dirty Evo
GL with sale. free bump. And you just made me SO GLAD that my wife and i did not settle for a house or land in a community with CCnRs.
mrgjones
No house is worth it. Just move.
pete000
Wow that has got to hurt to get this close. Have you considered having a restoration shop just finish it up? Might be worth it.
avidfanjpl
PM Sent

John
Cairo94507
There is no way that I would let a HOA force me to stop working on a car. Move the job into the garage and keep the door shut until it is back on its wheels and it is none of their business.

On the flip side, someone will get a nice six that has had all of the hard work done. Some assembly require, no battery included.

Good luck and I hope it stays in sunny CA but moves northerly.
Mike Fitton
Is price for car as it is? In unfinished state.
sean_v8_914
wow, that is horrible news. I know you were all jazzed up about getting back into it.
Let me know if I can help in any way. I do have storage space available inside
pm sent
Tom_T
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ May 17 2011, 10:25 AM) *

Don't let the HOA scare you, they typically have little-to-no actual power.

Not true Nathan, if it's written into the CC&Rs (Codes, Covenants & Restrictions) then it's a restriction on the property just as would be an easement & they can take him to court for enforcement.

Toolguy - you've got some options to consider, esp. with Sean offering space to you. I say keep it & work on her away from home! smilie_pokal.gif
sixnotfour
WOW !!
rick 918-S
This isn't the first time I've read this about HOA. I don't get why someone would give up control of their personal space to a bunch of busy body nazi commie's. Who's paying the mortgage? Let them try to sue you. By the time they get the thing to court the car will be finished. icon_bump.gif
Cairo94507
I understand and appreciate HOA's that keep people from parking RV's and ski boats in their driveway year 'round. Or who want to paint their house red or purple. Or who just store crap in their front yard and drive down property values and make the quality of life decline because of their inconsiderate attitudes.

However, if your car is in your garage I say screw them. So long as you are not in violation of any noise restrictions, typically after 10PM and before 7:30 AM, you should be OK. Especially for short term work on a project. It is not like you are working 40 hours a week 50+ weeks a year on cars, right?

Finally, try to find out who the complaining party is and what specifically they are upset about and try to resolve that issue. If not, shut the garage door so they do not know what you are doing.

Good luck-please do not sell your car because of this kind of BS.
mepstein
Some of them have clauses about non running cars, on or in the property. I don't agree with that but I live non developement anyway. Maybe you could fight it with a lawyer but maybe life is too short to get into that kind of hassle and expence.

I would take lots of pics and inventory the parts to show all that's included and take Sean up on his offer for space if your running out of time at your property.

Personally, I might like a project like yours over a running car because I can see exactly what I'm buying.

Or pay to have it painted and have a 914world assembly party.

Or let me pick up and make monthly payments idea.gif
I'll be in San Diego next week.

Mark
toolguy
BIG UPDATE> > and thanks for all the interest. . . I had a meeting with the HOA. . . the current complaint was for sanding and painting. . . Yeah, I sort of expected that but it took a twist in my favor. . . so when the Board of the HOA made the decision that painting and sanding was not allowed, the didn't think it out. . . after listening to their dribble, I said. . . so I'm painting a little car right. . . and for the past 25 years you have allowed every owner to have their house repainted, that's ok ?? and those painters use sprayers. . . the same with stucco blasting and recoatings. . . asked them to point out the difference and they just looked at each other. . . . so I made a formal notification that any future painting of homes and their trim in the HOA could not be done with a sprayer or I would file a suit.

The property manager ended up by saying that I shouldn't do it again. . . Yeah, right . so for now I'm off the hook and back to work on the car.. .

PS. . . HOA's seem like a good idea for the right reasons, but when run by narrow sighted old ladies, it becomes a political agenda for their own self interest . .
mepstein
biggrin.gif Love it!
RiqueMar
Toolguy: Glad to hear the HOAs are off your back, they can be realy Nazis about the smallest things. Just for your reference, in case they try to come back and say it's the law, it isn't.

In the State of California, you are allowed to paint/sand your car outside IF it is your own car. We went through this recently with one of our cars, a neighbor complained, and it turns out it is legal as long as you are not doing it for profit.

Hope to see this /6 in person sometime soon!
ewdysar
That's great news, Toolguy!

I couldn't believe that a project like yours could be derailed by an HOA to the point of having to get rid of the car. Nice argument and I agree that the goal is to delay any actions long enough to get the car back on her wheels.

It's a beautiful project and can't wait to see the finished result.
QUOTE(toolguy @ May 19 2011, 06:58 AM) *

BIG UPDATE> > and thanks for all the interest. . . I had a meeting with the HOA. . . the current complaint was for sanding and painting. . . Yeah, I sort of expected that but it took a twist in my favor. . . so when the Board of the HOA made the decision that painting and sanding was not allowed, the didn't think it out. . . after listening to their dribble, I said. . . so I'm painting a little car right. . . and for the past 25 years you have allowed every owner to have their house repainted, that's ok ?? and those painters use sprayers. . . the same with stucco blasting and recoatings. . . asked them to point out the difference and they just looked at each other. . . . so I made a formal notification that any future painting of homes and their trim in the HOA could not be done with a sprayer or I would file a suit.

The property manager ended up by saying that I shouldn't do it again. . . Yeah, right . so for now I'm off the hook and back to work on the car.. .

PS. . . HOA's seem like a good idea for the right reasons, but when run by narrow sighted old ladies, it becomes a political agenda for their own self interest . .

Great news... ok .. keep it up smile.gif
Cairo94507
Congratulations. Nice to see it all worked out. Quick thinking on your feet too by drawing the analogy to house painting, etc.

I look forward to seeing the build thread.
avidfanjpl
Yeah, this is a REALLY good one that got away, but now that he can finish it, that is pure excitement!

JEALOUS, but happy for you!

John
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.