Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear brake part needed
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thomasotten
I noticed one of my brake calipers is missing the inner adjuster, and the cap. I checked AutoAtlanta and they want $25 for the adjuster. Seems like a lot of money for a little allen screw. Let me know if any of you guys have some calipers laying around that you can pull parts from. Does anyone have an extra one of these that they can sell?
lapuwali
The inner adjuster is not "a little Allen screw". It's has a gear on one end, and the Allen head on the other. No screw threads at all. It's $25 mostly because it's not a commonly needed part. The cap is not optional, btw. It's the only thing that holds the inner adjuster in place. If that's left off, the adjust falls out. No doubt that's why you don't have either.
thomasotten
The hole has screw threads, so, not knowing what one looks like I presumed it was a threaded barrel with an allen head in the center.
davep
QUOTE(lapuwali @ May 31 2004, 03:29 PM)
It's $25 mostly because it's not a commonly needed part. The cap is not optional, btw.

I disagree. The gear is often missing and although I have lots of calipers, I really don't have any to spare. In fact I have looked at having them machined up.

The cap is most necessary, and installing it correctly must be a lost art. There is supposed to be a copper washer under the cap. It is almost always missing. I have found an almost perfect replacement for the cap, the only difference being a larger Allen key is needed. Keeping these calipers in good condition is tricky. Regular maintenance is a must if only for the venting clearance.

DaveP
lapuwali
It's not a commonly needed part, in terms of not needed except on this one car, in cases where it gets lost. It's not like a regular consumable item, or an item that was used on millions of cars of varying types. That fact that they're available at all means they're coming out of some NOS stockpile and will be NLA eventually, unless someone like Dave has some made up. AA has a history of taking advantage of such situations by pricing accordingly.

The screw threads are for the cap, which is quite a bit larger in diameter than the inner adjuster. The inner adjuster itself is a very small part.
davep
This part was never available separately. AA is most likely scavanging parts from used calipers. I would buy a used caliper just for this part if the caliper was nicely priced. I can't even find one right now to photograph.
aircooledboy
Had the same issue last year. I called Otto's and he sent me 2 adjusters, and one each of the new and old style cover caps. I think shipping and all set me back like 15 bucks.
thomasotten
I just ordered the parts from Otto. $25 plus shipping. I kinda wished I hadn't. While one the pjone, I asked him what his price was on rear wheel bearings. I told him I only wanted the FAG bearings and he started giving me this "Where did you hear that SFK was no good business? The internet?" I said yeah, I read on the 914 forum that some people had problems with the SFK bearings. He then went into this tirade and said: "Do you believe in the bible?" I said, yes.
"Do you believe that Jonah was swallowed by a fish?" I said, yes.
"Do you believe the walls of Jericho came crashing down?", I said, yes.

I suppose I was supposed to say no to one of his questions, but I didn't feel like denying my Catholic faith over some car parts. He then went into this long thing about how he has been doing this for 100 years and that he knows best, because he actually races the cars.

Why can't ordering parts just be easy? Man, I felt like I was on the Phil Hendrie show.
aircooledboy
I'm begining to think I am the only human alive who has never had a wierd or bad experience with Otto.

Sorry dude.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.