Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spent some quality time with the six
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
djm914-6
I've been going back and forth on the best plan for this car so much I feel like a woman. I just can't make up my mind. So, I ask here again, but with a more open question: What should be done with this car?

First off, the car runs really well and feels great to drive. These cars aren't easy to come by in the upper north east. And lastly, I hate to see another 914 chassis thrown away.

My plans is to build a GT look-a-like for use whenever I can but set up for DE events ultimately. When I bought the car, I had planned on glassing in some flares and add as much fiberglass as offered from the normal sources. Then I thought that with the reliece of the AA flares, and liking to drive the car so much on the roads, I should keep as much steel as possable. Now that my DACO Mickey Mouse repairs are aging, I wonder if I shouldn't just POR15 over the rough stuff and use their epoxy filler to cover up as much as possable. Then bolt on some 'glass fender flares and have fun while the car holds itself together. But, I really like quality work and I am a bit anal retentive.

So, I'll post pics of all of the bad rust I know about and let the Club offer their opinions. If I don't get too much feedback here, I'll post the car on ebay with one hell of a buy-it-now. Then I bet I'll here some opinions. biggrin.gif
djm914-6
driver's rear fender...
djm914-6
same...
djm914-6
drivers front fender...
djm914-6
typical door seal channel...
djm914-6
inside trunk for drivers side fender...
djm914-6
passanger fender issues...
djm914-6
I assume both doors have this problem...
djm914-6
outside...
djm914-6
lastly, the front seal channel above the headlights...
Bullet
I think you should sell it to me biggrin.gif
Andyrew
Im thinking a full repaint, after bead blasting and rust repair.

Ie full resto.

But thats just me if I had the money.

But if you dont want to do that. I would definately get all the rust down to the metal and see what you have to work with from there. If the metal is thin.. maybe replacing it..

I think that fiberglass flares that are bolted (or however) on.. ie obvious fiberglass, is a very nice look. When done cleanly.

Someone else did that on here, and I love the look.

Your car..
Andrew
415PB
Good luck with all the rust.
MattR
lexan doesnt rust biggrin.gif
seanery
Dave,

my 2 cents on a car like that (my 356 was like that) is to sell it or restore it. I sold mine.
dakotaewing
If this is not an original six, have one of the guys on the west coast find you a clean,rust free tub, buy it, have it shipped to you and swap out all the good parts.... This is assuming of course that you are not a master welder, fabricator, and autobody guy, and that your best frend in the world is not one either... but,
that being said, if you are looking for inspiration, find the posts on Lawrence's bubblebee... What he started with makes your car look like a museum piece...
Good luck with what ever you decide to do -

Thom
Eric Taylor
you could sell it to me smile.gif. But I would fix it if I were you. That's not reallyy so bad. As long as the suspension consol and battery tray are in decent condition(at least fixable) I would save it. This is all assuming it's a factory six. There just arn't to many left anymore! It could be a sweet car. It looks like it's a color change though, do you think yellow or red? That could help you make the decision. A proper change would take a lot more dough.
Eric
Andyrew
Look at his sig.. He says its a 70 6 conversion.

So im guessing its not a real 6.
ChrisFoley
None of the rust you showed us is structural.
If the tub is solid it is worthwhile to repair the areas shown. The doors can be replaced. I have 4 complete fenders, in much better condition, which could be used to replace yours.
The car would be a good candidate for a body kit.
If the tub is similarly rusty, then drive it into the ground while prepping a fresh tub for a swap.
banderson
My car is in simmilar conditioin, though not quite as bad. I would love to get it on a rotissary, but I have no time for such projects.

How much would it cost to have a car like this properly prepaired and repainted to good drivable condition (not concourse)? And AA flairs? And who in MA area does this kind of work? Chris?
r_towle
Dave,
If its a real six, fix it.
If its a conversion (which I think it is)
We could locate a tub locally that would do for a resto while you DRIVE that one into the ground...

I know of three tubs that would be really nice after a week of two with Chris and would end up solid and still less money than a six.

Let me know if you want to look at some tubs.

If the hell hole is fine etc....have Chris put some new fenders and flares on it and you will be back on the road in no time.

If you want to sell it, or trade it I will buy it.
If you want a six for sale I know of one locally.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.