Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ingress and egress
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Elliot_Cannon
Hi,
My old body don't bend like it used to. Anybody have an easy or trick way of getting in and out of these little cars? Once in I'm fine but gettin there gets harder every year.
Cheers, Elliot
machina
the racecar with full cage is tough but I learned a little when I saw one racer going in thru the roof.

you might find it easier if you can leave the roof off and slide it without having to stoop down.

also, a smaller diameter steering wheel will give you more room for your legs. If the small wheel blocks your gauges, you can rotate them until you see the important numbers.

dr
Mark Henry
I'm 6'-1" with the roof off it's easy, just step in and slide down the seat. With the roof on I put one leg in, sit on the long, stick my head in, shimmy back a bit and swing my other leg in. The only problem is I kick the fuse box sometimes. Exit is the reverse of above.
A smaller wheel would help but I hate blocking the gauges.

Even at 42yrs old I find it a bit of a PITA, but it's worth it. beerchug.gif
Porsche Rescue
I'm 62 and 5'11". My method is to go in butt first, sit on the seat, bring in one leg, then the other. Exit by getting both feet on the ground before bringing the ass off the seat. Did it differently when I had a new one in 1970, but it was so long ago I can't remember how!
Trekkor
agree.gif

Same as above, except after I sit, I pivot both legs in at once.
Andyrew
My method is to go in butt first, sit on the seat, bring in one leg, then the other

Thats my method for all my cars.

Especially racing seats. Slide the butt down, then move the legs in.

Getting is all about where you put your hands.
SirAndy
belive it or not, the roll-cage actually helped!
i don't have full X door braces, more like a skewed Y, but getting in and out is easy as you can use the top hoop bar as a handle and lift yourself up or hold yourself getting in and you can grab the y-brace too

works like a charm!
Andy

IPB Image
lmcchesney
Yes we are getting older. Yes, it is difficult. Yes, the more you do it the easier it is.
Yes, what else do you have to do? Just remeber, it keeps you limber.
STL914
Even though I just turned 54 on Sunday, I have no problem just stepping into my 914. It's actually easier getting into than the AH Sprite I had when I was 20.

Back then, I remember offering a ride to a hitch hiker on his way to Whitewater University in WI. I
took him to the center of the campus and he had trouble exiting the Sprite. He finally just opened the door, fell out sideways onto the grass and crawled away. Funnier that Hell. laugh.gif laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.