Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any Factory Trained P-Techs out there?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Brett W
Anyone out there a factory trained Porsche Tech?
Elliot_Cannon
I read the Haynes book a few times.
Cheers, Elliot
Thorshammer
Yes,

Why do you ask. And Reno is in Nevada but it certainly is not Vegas. Thank God!.

Erik
Brett W
A door has opened offering me the possibilty and was trying to get some experienced techs opinions on things. email me off list please at

strt_lgl_fp_914 at mindspring d0t com
davep
You have to get hired as a dealership mechanic first. Then you get sent for training.

Our local PCA region got VW Canada to hold two courses for members, so I got trained on 911 engine and transmission rebuilding. Very hands on. The engine course was several days long. Got official certificates. Through a local VW & Audi dealer that I worked for I was trained in the parts programs also.
type47
there is a company called UTI (no affiliation or endorsement) that gives auto training then you can apply? get picked? to continue training by PCNA who picks up the tab in exchange for working at a dealer for X years.
Bleyseng
My son, Blair, is at UTI in Phoenix. Porsche only takes a few of the top students a year. Blair is hoping he is one of them when he is done with UTI. So far Blair is in the top ten of the students nationally (about 4000 students).

Geoff biggrin.gif
Brett W
Geoff,

No disrespect to your boy, I was told by an instructor at Porsche Cars NA, that I should not waste my time time with UTI. He said just get directly on with a Porsche Dealer and get the training without near the cost of UTI. He also used to teach the PTAP program in conjunction with UTI. I hope your son can become one of those selected.
Bleyseng
Porsche, BMW have sent out letters of intro to him to keep up the good work and they are looking for only the "Best". Yes, he knows its a long shot but hell gotta try!

Geoff
blaize
I am a factory trained Porsche tech (in fact last week I was in atlanta at the training facility and saw two carrera gt's in the same room).

I got on thru a local dealer and it took a year to get them to let me work on Porsche, (vw first) and then another six months to get sent for some training. but it is all falling into place now.

I just walked in and asked the svc. manager what I would need to do to get on. Its all about attitude. I installed auto sound for six years before this but always owned aircooled vw's. I told him all this and admited before he said it that that it all didn't really mean a damn thing. and I was Persistant. frankly I had nothing to lose I didn't expect for a second he would say yes but here I am two years later.

So to all of you saying you wish you knew how thats it, as I said you have nothing to lose. but at all costs talk to the svc. manager in person. do not leave a message w/ a svc. writer as it most likely will never get to him.

And bleyseng good luck to your son. Last week at the atlanta center I saw the p-tap program and beleive me he wants to be in it. I am glad I didn't have to pay for it but I damn sure wish I had gone.
vortrex
not porsche, but my brother is a factory trained mercedes tech. like everyone says, get a job at a dealer and they will send you to free training. my brother went to a school prior to the dealer, but it wasn't even needed. he now goes to training a couple times a year for free.

I have a hard time believing it is difficult to get in and about the recruiting. you would not believe the screwballs that work with my brother or are on as apprentices. this is a huge dealer in south florida that just built a brand new facility, not some rinky dink place. they cannot get decent people to work there. heck, I was offered a job there and I've never met anyone and only have home garage experience with 914's and vw's! again, I know this is mercedes, but the cars are just as expensive/complex as porsche (if not more so).

if you go on as an apprentice you will suffer financially for a while but can make some serious money when you get going.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.