asdasd
Brett W
gfsbbtbrg
maf914
Interesting!

What cars are they for?

Mike
ChrisFoley
Looks like you're getting plenty of welding practice.
Good job. clap56.gif
Brett W
The first header is for a Formula SAE open wheel car running a GSXR 600 engine. Engine is mounted transversely with very little ground clearence so the header has to exit from the side. The engine is running a 20mm restrictor so header design is very important. This was my first header so it took a little while to finish.

The second is a turbo header for my H#$%a. Hope to get that finished shortly. Built out of .125 wall weld els. Very heavy but it will work well.

Yes I have done a buch of welding in the last 6 months. I have done a bunch of aluminum, steel, and some stainless. I wanted to mess with some Titanium but didn't have the budget. Some of my welds are kinda ugly but they are stout. You can kinda look at my headers and see the quality of the welds get better towards the end of the header.

Chris, do these look right in steel. I am using a 70S3 rod at 100amps. They did not come out nice and shiny, kinda dull.
MattR
What school do you compete with?
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Brett W @ Jun 1 2004, 12:55 PM)

Chris, do these look right in steel. I am using a 70S3 rod at 100amps. They did not come out nice and shiny, kinda dull.

They look ok from here.
I would probably use less amps and travel a little slower. Depends on how you beveled the edges.
Brett W
University of Alabama in Huntsville.

They were beveled 1/8 in at a 45. Pretty large gap. My machine was set at 100 but I wasn't using all the pedal.
ChrisFoley
Making multiple (smaller) passes might have been better in this case.
To get nice 100% penetration in 1/8" steel tube I would bevel 1/16"+ at a 60 degree angle. That leaves some base material at the root, and the narrower angle means less filler is required.
With a big root opening the filler wire has to be added faster, and used to control the puddle temperature more.
If the fitup isn't so good then I use a first pass to join the root, and one or two cap passes to get the right crown shape.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.