Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Head rebuilds
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SUNAB914
Long story short, still great running motor, but getting white smoke blowing out sometimes at high speed over 3k rpm. Was advised most likely its a losse valve guide. Just noticed this since I've been driving to work on I-95 in northern Va. Must have happened sometime last year when I had a cheap throttle cable stick a few times. Anyway, not sure if I will do a complete rebuild or just repair heads? I have euro mahle P/C's brand new I've had for awhile and 40mm dells on hand, but not surehow far I want to go with it right now.
Who does head work and how much would it cost to have them done right. And is there other cost or parts that will need to be done?
I will pull and replace myself.
Wife said sell it so she could get her car in garage, I've already said NO!
Thanks
Chris
Cupomeat
Hmmm, you will probably see MANY opinions on this and I think I'll quickly sum it into 2 camps;

Camp 1. Some well known engine builders will probably say that you should replace the head with a new casting head as these heads are old and it is the only way to go to do it right. This way is big money but seems to be the best route.

Camp 2. others might say, so have it done and run it until it breaks again. Less money, and you need to find someone who actually know what they are doing on 914 heads.

When I had my heads redone in 2003, it was $800 for new guides, valves and some opening of the port for the 2.0l spec valves. I would think this could easily be 2x this now.

I hope that helps.
DRPHIL914
Chris,

when i thought i was going to do mine, i did a lot of looking and put out a similar thread.

HAM, INC - he (Len Hoffman) is in Athens, GA and does remanufacturing which is as he can explain better, different that rebuilt. but it will be better than new.
When i do mine, i will send them to him to do it. he has developed a system and done much testing with Jake Raby . I believe Jake has him do all of his head stuff.

you can find him here or club- he may post you or PM you directly. i will get you his number , i have it somewhere.

Phil
type47
I had heads done by Allied Machine shop in Falls Church (Northern VA). scotty b recently posted in reply to jsayre's recent head troubles that he has a connection to a machine shop in Richmond; either way, you're half way between NOVA and Richmond. You might contact scotty b about his shop or at least read jsayre's recent thread about his dropped valve seat.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.