Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: thought I was close, but no start !!!!!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
so I hooked up the Megasquirt fuel injection to my car, made no real changes to it from when I ran it last year and now I cannot get the car to run at all.

the MS is triggered by the (-) of the coil, similar to how the tach gets its signal, I know the coil is working and that the pertronix is working since when I hook up my timing light to the coil wire, I see the strobe light, yet when I hook up the timing light to any of the 4 spark plug wires, no strobe at all

another strange problem is no fuel from the MS except when cranking (MS will automaticly spray fuel for x amount of time at cold-start), all four injectors spray nice and even while cranking...now this is strange:
when i turn off the ignition key, the MS, the injectors and the fuel pump are turned off, with no power, are at least it supposed to be...for some odd reason, my pump stays on and 1 injecter decides to spray full blast...it only stops when I unplug the db29 connector to the MS (both injectors are in series on that side, so you'd think both would spray full blast)

so it looks slim that my 914 is going to make it, I'm going back out in the garage for few hours, but it does not look good......I'll be calling my insurance company tommorow to see what if anything i need to do if I take Mike Rose up on his offer to borrow his 914 for the auto-x since he will be out of town for the WCC.
(as much as I'd like to take his car to Montery, I'm pretty sure he has a petty bar in it and I will not take my wife out on the street in a car with one of those installed)
Carrera916
Muller,

I'm no expert on the MS thing...but I want to ask about the sparks not getting to the plugs....is the rotor in place? wink.gif
That's the only thing I can think of how the spark would transfer to specific plugs...unless you have a distributorless set up...then I guess I'll shutta up!

As for the MS to screw you around with the ignition on and off, giving you werid results.....I've learn for years that if you do not connect your ground wire correctly, it will seek for another grounding thru anywhere on the cirucuit and gives you fits when you see strange results.....Is the MS sensitive to no grounding on the car circuit?

Hope this helps...

j
Mueller
Yep, rotor is in place smile.gif

....it's one of those rpm limiting rotors that I am not too sure if it's ok or not. There seems to be some sort of device that links the middle of the rotor to the outter edge...not sure if it's a resistor or not, it acts like a diode (reads only one direction with my DVM)

i'm going to take apart the engine wiring harness and double check the connections and wiring.
Andyrew
Get a non rpm limiting rotor, I had one and I went through the problem and found that it was either the rotor or the cap that was bad. Switched it and I got spark.

Worth a try right?
Andyrew
I'm with Andrew on this.

If you're getting spark to the coil wire it has to go somewhere. So it's either grounding some where inside the distributor or the rotor or cap are bad. Any cracks or arcing that you can see?

Ooops I am andrew...

No, really I'm Dan
SirAndy
i'm with andrew & andrew ...

plus, check your tranny ground strap ...
smash.gif Andy
mike_the_man
Not much help with the MegaSquirt stuff, but if you are getting a spark to the dizzy, but not out of the dizzy, then the problem must be somewhere in there. I'll agree that it's probably the rev limiting rotor. Ditch it and try a normal one. As for the other problem, bad grounds sound like a good start. I hate wiring.

BTW, what's a petty bar, and why won't you take you wife on the street with one installed? confused24.gif
SLITS
The rpm limiting rotor sends the pulse to ground. If it is stuck in any position other than closed, you will get everything you need except to the plugs.

IPB ImageIPB Image

Mueller
for the spark issue, I bought a brand new cap and rotor, it seems that the plug wires might be the problem, I substituted a stranded copper wire for one of the spark plug wires and I got a reading on my timing light.....later tonight I'll buy new wires and give it another shot.

BTW, what's a petty bar, and why won't you take you wife on the street with one installed?

a petty bar starts up near the drivers head and goes down torwads the passanger footwell.....I don't think anyone as a passanger wants this bar in front of them on the street without a full face helmet smile.gif

IPB Image
maf914
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jun 1 2004, 09:27 AM)
a petty bar starts up near the drivers head and goes down torwads the passanger footwell.....I don't think anyone as a passanger wants this bar in front of them on the street without a full face helmet smile.gif

You might want to alter that to say "even with a full face helmet on"!
fiid
Do you have the laptop hooked up? Have you tried putting the MS on the stim to make sure it works okay?

I have an FI harness for MS you can borrow, as well as a spare MS at my place if that is any help....

l8r,

Fiid.
TimT
a petty bar starts up near the drivers head and goes down torwads the passanger footwell.....I don't think anyone as a passanger wants this bar in front of them on the street without a full face helmet

not to hi-jack but I have a petty bar in my car... Lots of people want to ride in my lil go cart, many change there minds when they see the bar running across the passenger seat.. wacko.gif

Fomr what you described it seems like a wiring problem, a bad ground, splice gone bad etc....try a non limiting rotor
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.