Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Radiator install
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
skline
Got the radiator set in today and enclosed it totally with sheet aluminum. How tight of a seal is required on these, there are very minimum gaps around it if at all. Let me know what you think.
skline
Second pic
skline
Intake
SirAndy
looks good!

where will you have the air exit? fender wells? going to use fans? can you make the intake bigger (higher)?

seal it up as best as you can, air will go with the least resistance, you want to force it through the cooler ...
aktion035.gif Andy
skline
There are 3 fans, one pusher and 2 pullers. I thought about making the intake hole larger but heard that 4X20 was large enough. The fenderwells are cut open on each side to equal about twice that size. I got this screen also to put over the holes so things dont come flying in while I am driving. The front is going to have ducting to channel the air directly into the radiator opening also. It will have screen on it as well. The screen I think can been seen in one of the pictures. Its not cut and shaped yet but when its done, I was going to tack weld it in place and paint it black to match the wheel wells. Its made from galvanized steel so it shouldnt rust. I am using rivets to hold the front screen onto the front spoiler.
fiid
Where are you planning on running your water lines?

I am torn between putting them under the car (ick) and the bubble problems I will have if I run them through the heater tubes and over the top of the gas tank.

What's the best solution?

Radiator looks great to me!

Fiid.
BIGKAT_83
Radiator looks real nice. How will the fans be installed?
I noticed the theaded inlet and outlets are these AN or pipe threads?
I think Rod Simpson recommends using way smaller hoses for the setup than anyone else. If you go with what he recommends you could run them almost anywhere.

Bob
Jeff Bonanno
Scott - that looks f-in awesome!
jridder
>I got this screen also to put over the holes so things dont come flying in while I am driving.

I don't have screens and nothing goes in while driving (the airflow makes it go out, not in). Not having screens makes it easy to adjust the anti-roll bar. I do have a screen on the air dam to keep rocks from denting the radiator.

Jonathan
Steve
Scott,

I was cleaning out the garage and found the fuel pump that I used with the webers on my previous motor.
Its mounted to the 75 fuel pump cover.
Its designed for V8's.
If you want it you can have it.
I don't think I will be going back to carbs soon.
skline
Well, to answer some questions, I am running the hoses down the center as everyone suggested, I am however changing one of the hoses right now and I may change them again down the road. The hoses I got with the kit are 1" ID and 3/4" ID and they were not the green stripe as recommended by Rengeade and others. They were the white stripe hoses. Well, I got lucky and Orange County Hose is right across the street from me here in Costa Mesa and the owner is by chance a major car guy. The hose normally sells for around 2 to 3 dollars a foot, he sells it to me for .90 cents a foot. But I didnt buy that kind after all. He suggested I run a stronger hose with a spring in it to keep it from collapsing when it gets warm. I had never thought of that. He said it will for sure when it gets warm and restrict the flow. So, I stepped up and bought the Lawrence smooth flex marine/wet exhaust hose thich he assures me will never collapse and will withstand the toture underneath the car on speedbumps and stuff. It was 40 bucks for the one 12.5 foot hose. If I really wasnt to do it right he said, use the silicone sprung hose, he said it will outlast the car no matter how much I abuse it. At 15.00 a foot, I think maybe later. I got one pice of it to do an adapter and he just gave it to me. It is easy to see how it would hold up. The fans will be mounted to the radiator 2 puller, one pusher. I believe the fittings are just pipe threads. He gave me the fittings to fit in there but I went and picked up the 1" to replace the 3/4" fitting so the hoses will be the same size. The system will only flow the amount of the smallest hose. I hope this answered all the questions. I am going to get started putting some of this together now.
skline
QUOTE(Steve @ Jun 1 2004, 12:13 PM)
Scott,

I was cleaning out the garage and found the fuel pump that I used with the webers on my previous motor.
Its mounted to the 75 fuel pump cover.
Its designed for V8's.
If you want it you can have it.
I don't think I will be going back to carbs soon.

Thanks Steve, I will take it, I still have not found another one for it so that will do just fine. Are you going to be up in this area or should I come down there? You will have to give me your address again and some quick directions as it has been awhile since I was down there.
John2kx
I would double the inlet size to radiator similar to what Renegade uses. The 4"x20" hole they recommend is for the front bumper. You will see advantage to increasing size in hole aft of bumper.

Why not use the hose size recommended by Simpson? If you have cooling problems, you'll be on your own if not installed per his instructions/design/recommendations. Renegade also uses different hoses sizes at inlet/outlet for a reason. If the same size hose works better to/from radiator they would not have gone to the trouble to have radiator fitted with two different hose sizes.

The seal around shroud looks good from the pics shown but I see no method of attaching the top piece to radiator. Do you have something that will hold it down? The top and bottom is pretty easy to seal. I use flexable foam and wedge between sides of shround and chassis to get the most air flowing through radiator.

Screens are not needed at fender openings as mentioned by Jonathan. The access can also be used when bleeding front brakes.

John
Andyrew
They are needed to keep stuff from going out of the fender if you put stuff in it. But bolting the screen on with simple screws sould make bleeding the brakes easyer.
jridder
>They are needed to keep stuff from going out of the fender if you put stuff in it.

I don't think anyone with a radiator and a couple of electric fans would have something in the front trunk that wasn't bolted down.

Jonathan
Andyrew
I would... but with a screen in front of then fans.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.