Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: testing sparkplug wires????
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
I "think" I might have bad sparkplug wires, they look damn near new (borrowed from a supposedly running engine), BWC brand blue copper-silicon 8mm suppression wires.

anyway to test these?
SLITS
Somewhere in Cyberland the information exists to determine if they are faulty. It has to do with OHMs resistance and I can't remember the figure for a "good" cable.

They are checked with a VOM, DVM, etc.,

They could have an internal break too!
mightyohm
Measure the resistance, you will see a couple kiloohms per wire if they are the resistive type. I think it's around 1 kohm per foot but don't quote me. If you see over 3-5kohms something is probably wrong. If they are not resistive wires you will see very close to 0 ohms.

The probability of all 4 wires being bad is probably pretty low Mike.
SLITS
Try this:

http://www.inct.net/~autotips/plugwire.htm
KitCarlson
Sounds like the wires are copper, you should measure approximately 1K ohm due to the resistor in the sparkplug connector. You should also measure the resistance of the rotor. It has a built in resistor in the tip. Resistance can be good!, and is required, for those thinking of removing!

The wires can still leak spark to ground if there is a void in the insulation.

Other areas for spark problems: if using points the, points and condenser, also the internal breaker plate ground braid. The ground braid is also required, and is very important if using the Pertronix or Compufire point replacements.

Points and coils can easily fail if ignition is left on with a stalled engine.
lmcchesney
So, when you walk into the FLAPS, you see several spark plug wires with associated claims to superiority. What is the bottom line? Is there properties other than resistance to look for? What about silicon vs other?
Kit, how is your FI system comming?
L. McC
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.