Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How Many of you Americans
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Toast
How many of you Americans saluted the American flag, or said the Pledge of Allegiance, or sang an Amerian patriotic song on Memorial Day?
Or, better yet, when was the last time you did one of those things?

There is a flag in front of my work (finally!) that I salute every day and occasionaly say the National Anthem.
Joe Bob
I SANG along with the National anthem......on the TeeVee when watching the game(s)..... biggrin.gif

I say the Pledge when I stay with the kids for awhile at school before work....
airsix
We had a flag-raising ceremony and playing of the national anthem at the start of our Memorial Day autocross.

-Ben M.
eresener
Toast,
We fly the American and the POW-MIA flags everyday...at my home...weather permitting. Since we home school our children...we say the pledge every morning...and we teach them to be proud of each and every soldier that protects our country....and that it is an honor and duty of every American to do so.

Ed

Pleiku, RVN "69"
indydad
Anyone that has been to INDY has felt that patrotic feeling during the pre-race festivities. It is awesome! Enough to make a grown man(and verteran) cry.
Old Dad in INDY
Toast
Ed,
flag.gif , clap56.gif . Good for you and thank you.

I would have to say that my favorite opening American ceramony would have to be at the Supercross events. I cry everytime!
AlexO
I just wanted to post a quick thank you to you all. The patriotism here never ceases to amaze me. When sending care packages to our brothers in Iraq came up, you all answered faster than a $10 group buy for coilovers. I'm on my way to Iraq sometime in June, and I appriciate the support. I'll keep reading all the posts here (yes, I've been a lurker) as I'm buying another teener when I get home. And I do pass along all the support to my fellow Marines. It doesn't go unnoticed, and we do appriciate it. Thanks again.
--Alex, U.S.M.C.
ninefourteener
You know.... I must admit, I do have a few problems with some of the actions the US government has recently made happen....... but....

As a 10 year AF veteran, I'm still in the AF because I want to be, and because I know that America is the greatest country in the world.

Your patriotism is greatly appreciated by all Active military members, especially this one.

Matt (SSgt, USAF)
spare time toys
I am a proud member of A.M.F.A. local 11. We say the pledge at the start of every union mtg. flag.gif This is something that was unheard of in our old union IBT local 19 finger.gif
fiid
Hey - help me understand how the union works better - do you have to be part of the union to take part in your chosen profession? What is the AMFA?
spare time toys
QUOTE(fiid @ Jun 1 2004, 01:59 PM)
Hey - help me understand how the union works better - do you have to be part of the union to take part in your chosen profession?  What is the AMFA?

Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association ... There are some Airlines that are non union like Delta. But I am at Southwest Airlines and we are one of the most unionized Airlines so they say. I think it is a necessary evil to have in this industry. We voted out the IBT after we had problems with what they were taking out for dues. It was not the amount called for in their constitution but much more. I was going to be giving them over $100 a month finger.gif and we had no representation from our local so we voted them out. pissoff.gif It was like1100 to 50 to get rid of them. But union problems are for another forum...this is for stuff I like beerchug.gif
fiid
Wow. $100/mo is serious cash.

Interesting stuff. You had to vote another union out in order to join the AMFA?
I don't have much of a background on how this stuff works here. (Being from the UK originally.)
spare time toys
QUOTE(fiid @ Jun 1 2004, 03:17 PM)
Wow. $100/mo is serious cash.

Interesting stuff. You had to vote another union out in order to join the AMFA?
I don't have much of a background on how this stuff works here. (Being from the UK originally.)

Yea we fall under the Railway Labor laws and have to mess with the National Mediation Board. Its a real pain in the butt.
TheCabinetmaker
"we fall under the Railway Labor laws". Well blow me down and bite my butt! What happened to the days when A&P and A&E belonged to the transport workers union? Did I sleep too long? blink.gif
spare time toys
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Jun 1 2004, 03:28 PM)
"we fall under the Railway Labor laws". Well blow me down and bite my butt! What happened to the days when A&P and A&E belonged to the transport workers union? Did I sleep too long? blink.gif

Airlines fall under the Railway Labor Act because they are considered a critical national industry. Because if you shut down an airline you theoretically could disrupt the economy also the mail and comerce in general. The TWU is just another industrial union that represants some airline workers. American Airlines mechanics come to mind because they are voting to drop them and go to AMFA. They also have our Flight Atendants and have been trying to get a new contract for over two years. Unions just do not have the power or respect they once enjoyed. Any way lets get back to cars beer.gif
Sparky
Not only did I salute I sang the anthem and drove over to see the carrier I was stationed on that had since been decommissioned. Sadest thing I've ever seen, a carrier tied to a pier and being able to hear the water slapping the hull. Around an "active" carrier you can barely hear yourself think standing on the same pier.

My best to all!!

Mike D.
lmcchesney
The American Flag has adorned the front door of our homes since our first one. My sons are Eagle and two Life Scouts and yes we do say the pledge and anthemium frequently. Yes, I still get a lump and tear when I see and hear the nation homaged. America is very much like our 914's. It and they are not perfect, and always in need of attention, but would you have another.
I remember being in Task Force Delta with the Marines and isolated, no mail, no communications with the outside. Thus, my family sends care packages and just letters of hello to our heros now. God bless us durning this time of war. We must hold each other together an do what is right.
L. McC
scotty
Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Veteran's Day. It goes up at 0800 and comes down at sunset.

When the mood hits me, I have done this to appropriate (recorded) Navy bugle calls (in memory of my uncle, a Marine).

I also have been know to play "The Star Spangled Banner" on the 4th and "Solidarity Forever" on labor day.
Rusty
We are not permitted to display our colors here, by order of the CG. That includes hoisted in public or displayed in the work/living areas. Allegedly, only an "occupying force" raises it's colors in another nation. That "rule" came down in February, in fear of offending Iraqis. It ruffled a lot of feathers.

Of course... I didn't say that the flag wasn't displayed privately on Memorial Day. flag.gif

-Lawrence
tod914
Lawrence, out of curiosity, what's your MOS? I was in for 12 years. Got as far as doing the 30 days at the NTC for desert warefare training, but then things settled down. Got out in 94. Most of my time was spent in the Infantry. 11C 11H and 19D as a platoon leader. Guess that's a real fine line you guys have to walk over there. Hope things settle down soon. Thanks again for your dedication and commitment.
Dr Evil
I like the sentiment someone said about not particularly agreeing with the administrations use of the military, but not waivering in support for our troops.

I see it like this: A hammer is a beautiful thing, a tool from which all tools arguably decended. If you let someone use your hammer and they take it and smash the shit out of your car, is it the hammers fault? No way! The hammer did its job as it has always done, faithfully and unquestioningly. It is the ass that wielded that hammer that is too blame. Our military is that hammer and will always do its job when required against any "surface". If we don't like the way the person in charge is wielding that ever faithful tool then it is our duty to those whom risk their asses for us to make sure that they never be abused, or blamed for the transgressions of those in power. I may not agree with the current political leaders, but I know what it is like to shut the fuck up, do what you are told, and jump in with both feet. I encourage everyone to educate themselves as much as possible so that there is the least amount of doubt possible in what America does and the least amount of likelyhood that we will ask ours to lay their lives on the line for us for the wrong reasons.

The hammer will do what hammers do, if you hit your hand it is your fault.

Hearing all of you talk kinda makes me all warm inside...folks like you al that believe in the ability and the greatness of our country make me feel proud. I thank all of you for your sentimates and I add my own. It is our military and its institutions like the GI bill that have allowed me to persue a carrer in medicine and I swear that I will continue to give back what I can, every time that I can.

flag.gif wub.gif 0139 time for lights out..I got two tests tomarrow <_<
Qarl
Memorial day isn't about our flag, it's about our fallen soldiers. I hope you all thought about our fallen soldiers and our soldiers currently sacrificing their lives for our freedom.

http://www.usmemorialday.org/backgrnd.html

So many people forget the meaning of Memorial day, other than a day off in which we all get together and have a cook out.

Our family dedicated our dinner blessing to our fallen heroes.

... and our flag symbolizes what they fought for.

flag.gif
dmenche914
The hammer is directed by a good commander, the hammer hit the surface, and that surface was a vile dictator and his sons who had killed millions, and kept an entire nation in bondage. That hammer also hit a dispicable totalitarian islamic government that treated women worse than dogs, and killed all that did not conform. Both of these "surfaces" harbored, and spread terrorism bey ond their borders.
Yes that hammer hit some surfaces all right, and cleaned up a bunch of scum that had evil intent to us Americans. Our commander in chief has directed the blows very well, and that hammer has done a magnificent job thanks to the men and women that serve. These men and women hardly serve at the direction of an ass. The transgressions here are of those dictators and islamists that are the surface we hit, their transgressions aginst all civility are what put them in the position of surface, to be pounded by our hammer until total victory is achieved.
Dr Evil
Hey dmenche914,
Just to clarify: My statement about the "ass weilding the hammer" was a supposition, not an observation or a statement of opinion. The only reason that I wish to make this clarification is that I feel that making a political stand on Memorial day by forwarding my own political adjenda is disrespectful. Thus, I wasnt trying to make any observation about the current political climate. My point was only that we have the duty of educating ourselves so that we may protect our protectors. If you feel that the current state of affairs is satisfactory and you have done your research then I applaude that. The cool thing is that I dont have to agree, but I am glad that you have an opinion.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.