Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: early 911 struts/balljoints
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
machina
remember something about an updated balljoint.

what is the difference between early and updated balljoint?

thanks,
dr
ArtechnikA
early ones use a pinch bolt that tries to clamp the ball joint shaft. they always wear eventually and ruin the strut.

later ones use a wedge pin to retain the notched shaft in the strut. much better.

you -can- file a notch into an early ball joint and use it with wedge pin bolt struts - but i can't recommend it. new ball joits are not -that-0 expensive ...

so - sharp notch means a later ball joint; radiused slot means an early ball joint.

all the ball joints fit all the A-arms - the joints must match the strut.
John2kx
Here's a late model wedge pin.

John
TimT
there was a change in the method of fastening the ball joint

but there is also a whole different ball joint/a-arm on really early 911's... I think that they were only used on SWB cars..
Aaron Cox
i remeber hearing the change in ball joints was dur to the maufacturer unable to meet production deman wink.gif
Eric_Shea
All sorts of myths out there... The change was due to older units mounting hole showing a possible wear situation by "ovalizing" at the bottom of the strut. This caused eratic steering behavior.

They changed the method of securing the strut in 72 for the 911 and 73 for the 914. The original method was to have a split in the struts and then secure the ball joint by tightening up a bolt, which would tighten up the slit around the ball joint.

On the new struts the bottom was made solid. A wedge bolt (pictured above) goes into the strut, fitting into a "slot" in the ball joint. Tightening the nut on the bolt pulls the wedge into the slot in the ball joint.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.