Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: wheel adapters on eBay...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jk76.914
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...RK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

I'm doing my 5 lug conversion in a couple of weeks. Right now, I'm running 4-lug-to-5-lug adapters, 1 inch thick, on my stock '76 front end. I have factory steel flares and 15 x 7 Fuchs factory 911 wheels, with 195/65R15 tires.... The fit is about perfect to my taste.

questions- Will 1" thick spacers still be correct after the conversion? Another way to ask if the the 914/4 wheel mounting plane is coincident with the 914/6 wheel mounting plane? Or should I wait and do the conversion first and then measure before I buy the spacers? I'd kind of like to have all the parts on hand and do everything in one sitting.

Also, do these eBay spacers look OK? What could the issues be? The price is pretty good....

Thanks, guys.

Jim

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
Don't waste your money on those ...

Once you have your 5-lug setup, figure out the amount of spacers needed then get longer wheel studs and flat spacers.

popcorn[1].gif
sixnotfour
The front will be fine, the back will be a rubbing nightmare, 15x7 fuchs and no 1inch, barely fit and probably reguire a fender stretch.
Mike Bellis
I have a pair of 1 inch if you want them. I ran them on my 911 for years without any trouble. PM me...
rohar
I'm with SirAndy. Offset spacers are just one more component that can go wrong. Long studs and flat spacers are the way to go.
dlo914
We have a set on our 75', converting from 4x130 to 4x100. And we're running a 16x7 rim w/ +40mm offset. If you get a pair make sure to have the center bore on the fronts to be 79mm IIRC. As for wheel fitment, the fronts are fine w/ 1" space from front of wheel to fender, but the rear is really tight and will require a slight pull.
Here's our setup:
IPB Image
jk76.914
Thanks for the suggestions. I did the genuine 914/6 conversion on the rear several years ago- I'm just finally catching up on the front. I'm running the same wheel and tire setup (15x7 w/ 195/HR15) with 1" spacers, and it's also a perfect fit under the flares- no rubbing.

Thanks again.
Jim
JRust
QUOTE(jk76.914 @ May 19 2011, 03:43 PM) *

I have factory steel flares and 15 x 7 Fuchs factory 911 wheels, with 195/65R15 tires.... The fit is about perfect to my taste.

So maybe they missed that you have flares confused24.gif On the spacers I have used those myself. I think that they are fine but am not sure about track use. I would also second the longer studs would be better. One less possible problem although I think they would work just fine. So while I endorse the longer studs. I don't think you will have a problem with the spacers with normal driving. Not alot of help there but I do know of at least one v8 guy running them in the rear with flares. He hasn't had a problem with them in well over a year of use
rohar
QUOTE(dlo914 @ May 19 2011, 11:58 PM) *

We have a set on our 75', converting from 4x130 to 4x100. And we're running a 16x7 rim w/ +40mm offset. If you get a pair make sure to have the center bore on the fronts to be 79mm IIRC. As for wheel fitment, the fronts are fine w/ 1" space from front of wheel to fender, but the rear is really tight and will require a slight pull.
Here's our setup:

img

Huh, looks like I'm not the only one that converted to smaller 4 bolt spacing on a '75.

I wound up with a set of billet front hubs drilled for 4x100 and 4x114. Instead of using an adapter in the rear, I had them filled, rebossed and redrilled to 4x114. Since there's no adapter in the rear, standard offset (35-40mm) 17/7s fit fairly well without too much massaging of the metal.

I'm diving back into the VAG parts bin this weekend, I think there's a better solution to get to 4x100 in the rear, will let you know what I find.
jk76.914
OK, so what do you think of these guys? And if my 1" adapters are perfect with my /4 front hubs, will 1" still be correct with the /6 hubs? Or should I hold off and measure? This is for 15x7 Fuchs under factory steel flares.
Click to view attachment
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(jk76.914 @ May 21 2011, 05:39 AM) *

OK, so what do you think of these guys? And if my 1" adapters are perfect with my /4 front hubs, will 1" still be correct with the /6 hubs? Or should I hold off? This is for 15x5 Fuchs under factory steel flares.
Click to view attachment

That's the better way to go with longer studs... smile.gif
SirAndy
OK, so what do you think of these guys? And if my 1" adapters are perfect with my /4 front hubs, will 1" still be correct with the /6 hubs? Or should I hold off and measure? This is for 15x7 Fuchs under factory steel flares.

If i recall correctly, the /6 hubs come out further than the /4 hubs. I would wait until you switched over and measure the exact width of spacers needed.

As for the spacers you pictured, i would be worried about getting enough seating surface for the back of the wheel.

I've been using the simple flat spacers in different configurations for years. I have different offsets for the street wheels and the track wheels and change spacers frequently.

shades.gif

jk76.914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 21 2011, 01:51 PM) *

If i recall correctly, the /6 hubs come out further than the /4 hubs. I would wait until you switched over and measure the exact width of spacers needed.

As for the spacers you pictured, i would be worried about getting enough seating surface for the back of the wheel.

I've been using the simple flat spacers in different configurations for years. I have different offsets for the street wheels and the track wheels and change spacers frequently.

shades.gif

That's good advice. I'll wait until it's back together. When I get to that point, I'll also measure the difference between /4 and /6 mounting surfaces and post it. I'm targeting June 4 to do the job. Jim
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.