Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Copper Tubing For Gas Line
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bruce Allert
Is there any reason that I should not use copper tube for splicing gas line? I'm not sure if gas does magical things to copper so I figured someone in here should know idea.gif

I layed my fuel line around the front of the engine thinking "it has a perfect little shelf to rest on." (dumbshitmove) confused24.gif

Well... too much slack and it vibrated down on to the fan pully & scored a nice little leak. headbang.gif The 1.7 I had in there didn't have as much exposed pully area but this 2.0 sure does. I'm moving it away from that place of residence real fast cool.gif

.........b
JFJ914
NO! ohmy.gif

If you use it you will die! Seriously, copper should never be used as a fuel or brake line. It WILL work harden and break with the predictable results. Use some steel brake line or Nylon 11 in the appropriate size.
Bruce Allert
Thanks John, beer.gif I knew from somewhere in the recesses of my mind that it was a voodoo move.

.......b
Kerrys914
I have some aluminum tubing from my fuel line conversion..Do you want it smile.gif

Cheers
Kerry
Mueller
depends on your definition of short and how you do the splice....if using rubber hose, the hose will or should flex enough to not cause any problems with the copper tubing......you'd have to have the copper tubing mounted solid and many, many feet long or if you have lots of twists and turns for it to be a problem.........
Bruce Allert
Thanks for the offer Kerry but I have a 1" "T" piece along with a complete set of stock fuel rails. Just didn't want to cut them up or try to plug the "T".

The piece of copper I wanted to use is but 1" long. Just enough to get rid of the hole & shorten the hose line a wee bit. Been thinking of using the T and move my Pressure guage to the fire wall. That would make more room around the MPS where it is now...
Hmmmm...... idea.gif if I can find that lil' screw that goes back in the original "T" I'd be set! I may even have an extra. Thanks for the tips guys beer.gif

.......b
sechszylinder
Hi Bruce,

there is absolutely no problem using copper tubing as a replacement for the old platic tubing. I',m still using it since 10 years in my 2.0l. No cracks, no nothing ... smilie_pokal.gif

bye ...

Benno smilie_flagge6.gif
lmcchesney
Bruce, did you plumb your fuel pressure gauge permantly in the engine compartment? How long has it been there and have you had any problems? Others on the board have said they would worry about a leak and subsequent fire.
L. McC
Bruce Allert
L. McC ... I've had the gauge in there for a little over 2 years with no probs. I treated it like any other gas line connection. The line is short from the fuel rail to the gauge ( 3"). Used the FI hose clamps & never any leaks.

sechszylinder....

Wow! 10 years, That would put it to a good test.
thanks smilie_flagge24.gif

.......b
Mark Henry
Hmmmm.... idea.gif

I have about a 3-foot loop of 3/4" soft copper pipe connecting the head of my compressor to the tank. I put it there 15yrs ago, the thing vibrates like a dild.., err, a lot. Also there are 2 finned copper lines connecting the low-pressure side to the high-pressure side of the head. They would be almost 60yrs old.

WW2 surplus compressor, 160-gallon tank running at 160 PSI.

I think I'd know real quick if it failed.
lapuwali
I've seen copper plated steel lines used in brake systems on many British cars. This confuses a number of people into thinking they have all-copper brake lines on their cars.
JFJ914
Just because a bunch of you have done boneheaded things and have gotten away with it doesn't make the practice right. If someone asks for advice, it means they don't know what the correct answer is. To advise someone to do something that is WRONG just because it hasn't bit you in the ass yet is just plain irresponsible! The FAA will not let you use copper in an airplane because it can kill you. If you feel the need to answer someone, please make sure your advice will not hurt them or an innocent bystander.

Just my $.02.
r_towle
I had to chime in here.

I got reamed for doing my car with flexible copper tubing.

This is the same type of tubing that is used in most oil fired funace installations, some of which are well over 50 years old with no breaks, no leaks and little worries.

The type of bends and twists make it usable provided you do not kink it or create a weakness in the tubing structure.

I am sure that alot of the technology that is used in todays most expensive automobiles would not be acceptable to use in todays modern airlines...but these are cars, not planes...

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.