Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Windshield trim removal/installation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lmcchesney
We are preping the car for painting. Thus, we are removing everything possible to allow for the painting. What is involved in removal of the windshield crome trim? Does it just pop in and out? What holds the trim? Do you alter the windshield seal when removing the trim?
Thanks,
L. McC
william harris
Removal of the windshield trim is very easy, but you must be careful because the trim is very soft and pliable. I suggest starting with the removal of the small pieces in each corner. I used a small pick with a hook. The trim is held in place by small plastic clips around the windshield frame. A gentle pull is all that is needed to remove the trim. Try not to deform it too much as getting it back into shape can be a challenge. With the trim removed, watch out. I discovered that the trim was the only thing holding my windshield in place. The sealer had completely dried out and when I pushed on the windshield in literally fell out towards the hood. By the way, depending on how far you wish to go, I removed the windshield, scraped out the dried up sealer and then removed the plastic clips. They have a small circle in the middle, like the shaft of a rivet and when you push the shaft down it falls into the car and the clip is removed. Good luck with the removal and painting project.
lmcchesney
Thanks William. By the way, are you planning to paint your 914 while on the rotessorie? I guess you could hold the sprayer still and give the car a spin blowtorch.gif
aircooledboy
There is a tool for pulling back the trim clip enough that it releases the moulding. It's a pretty simple deal, and it can dramatically increase your chances of getting the trim off without damage. I was gonna go take a picture of it for you, but my wife tells me my digital camera is at her mother's headbang.gif mad.gif headbang.gif

Anyway, if you want it, I could probably just ship it to you, you could use it, and send it back.

Removing the trim should not have any impact on the seal itself, unless of course your car is like William's, in which case the trim IS the seal blink.gif

Chris
John2kx
This is what holds the chrome trim in place. The left side is what mates to windshield frame. Note the notch in upper portion of plastic.........this is what you need to pry back to release trim.

There are 19 of these.

John
lmcchesney
Thanks all.
Aircooledboy, I appreciate the offer. I'll take you up on that. We are not ready for the paint right now but hopefully soon.
Thanks again.
L. McC
william harris
Yeah, the plan is to have the car media blasted and then painted on the rotissere. Will post pictures of this stage when done.
ChrisFoley
This is the tool I made. The hook on the end pulls the tab back before prying up on the trim with the lever. In most cases both the trim and the clip are undamaged.
ChrisFoley
I used a piece of chrome moly sheet so it is stiff enough for repeated use, and thin enough to fit easily under the trim.
aircooledboy
Hey Chris, your home made version is not too far from the glass shop tool. The major difference is that the glass shop tool has a broad "arrow head" at the end. Rather than get up over the top of the clip to pull it back as with yours, you hook the side point of the arrow on the side of the clip, rotate it slightly towards the tip and that pulls the clip back.

Yours probably would work just as well as my manufactured tool on a 914. The only advantage my tool has is on other broader mouldings with metal clips that would not have the flex in them to allow your tool to get over the top of them.

I'll post a picture if I get my freakin' camera back today.

Chris
aircooledboy
Hey doods, posted pics of the legendary tool in the new thread "windshield trim tool" or somethin like that.

L McC, you are still welcome to use it if you like. Just let me know whenever.
lmcchesney
Will do Aircooledboy. We have to complete the body work yet. Converted to the 11" and 9" fiberglass flares and are still molding everything together.
L.McC
jgiroux67
I wish i would of known this before i removed mine. I bent the hell out of my trim. So what is the best way of getting the trim back to the right shape? Also what is the best way of making the trim black(i.e. paint,anodize, powder coat)?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.