Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: fuel pumps
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
timofly
So, my fuel pump (74 2.0 F.I.) is starting to spit some fuel on startup. It doesn't leak after the start, but I recall that this is the first sign of impending failure.

My pump has three ports: supply, pressure and return from the engine. I'm having trouble finding a replacement. One member here has an inline pump with two ports, one on each end, that he says worked on his D-jet 2.0. I thought the inline pumps were too low pressure to work with the D-jet, and what do you do with the return line, "T' it into the pressure line? Plumb it back into the tank?

Help?
tod914
There are some plumbing issues due to the different sizes. Should be easy to resolve with the right parts though. I'll make up a diagram for you Tim so you can see the fitting issues. If not posted tonight, it will be tomorrow. Then you can decide if you want to mount it on the firewall or up front.
timofly
QUOTE(tod914 @ May 19 2011, 09:10 PM) *

There are some plumbing issues due to the different sizes. Should be easy to resolve with the right parts though. I'll make up a diagram for you Tim so you can see the fitting issues. If not posted tonight, it will be tomorrow. Then you can decide if you want to mount it on the firewall or up front.

Thanks Tod, my fuel pump is already up front, so I'd put it there.

Tim

tod914
Good deal Tim. I'm working on it now for you. Just need to get all the fitting sizes right.
914Mike
QUOTE(timofly @ May 19 2011, 05:02 PM) *

So, my fuel pump (74 2.0 F.I.) is starting to spit some fuel on startup. It doesn't leak after the start, but I recall that this is the first sign of impending failure.

My pump has three ports: supply, pressure and return from the engine. I'm having trouble finding a replacement. One member here has an inline pump with two ports, one on each end, that he says worked on his D-jet 2.0. I thought the inline pumps were too low pressure to work with the D-jet, and what do you do with the return line, "T' it into the pressure line? Plumb it back into the tank?

Help?

The inline pump is OEM for '75-'76 D-Jet. Been running ne on my '74 for ears...
tod914
Pretty sure I have the correct sizes on this.. Correct me if I'm wrong and I'll make the changes.

Click to view attachment
914Mike
QUOTE(tod914 @ May 19 2011, 06:44 PM) *

Pretty sure I have the correct sizes on this.. Correct me if I'm wrong and I'll make the changes.

Looks right to me. Though I'm not sure I would run the original plastic fuel filter on the pressure side of the pump. I's been so long since I ran a three port pump, I can't remember, does the filter really go after the pump? Or is it in the supply line?

What I did to eliminate all the "adapter required" spots is to cut off the 9mm spigot on the tank and gas weld in a piece of 7mm tube. (Remove from tank! And label the bottom of the tank so you remember which is the feed and return! I figure that the only reason that 9mm was used is so it's impossible to mix these up.) Replacing all the plastic lines with 7mm tubing does away with the rest.
tod914
Mike question for you, will the 7mm feed spigot from a late style tank, fit in place of the 9mm feed spigot on an early tank? I tossed the filter in there as a connector. I suppose one of Chris' step adapters would be better, or a metal filter. The filter goes before the pump on the early cars..
timofly
QUOTE(914Mike @ May 20 2011, 12:53 AM) *

QUOTE(tod914 @ May 19 2011, 06:44 PM) *

Looks right to me. Though I'm not sure I would run the original plastic fuel filter on the pressure side of the pump. I's been so long since I ran a three port pump, I can't remember, does the filter really go after the pump? Or is it in the supply line?

What I did to eliminate all the "adapter required" spots is to cut off the 9mm spigot on the tank and gas weld in a piece of 7mm tube. (Remove from tank! And label the bottom of the tank so you remember which is the feed and return! I figure that the only reason that 9mm was used is so it's impossible to mix these up.) Replacing all the plastic lines with 7mm tubing does away with the rest.

Mike,

What am I missing? Why would you go to a 7mm feed line when the pump supply line is 12mm according to Tod's diagram? No problem with feed line size? Oh wait, I get it. The 75/76 filter "in" side is 7mm?

Never mind!
timofly
QUOTE(tod914 @ May 19 2011, 10:44 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Tod,

Thanks a lot. I get it. Do you have a suggested source for the 9mm-7mm adapter? Why wouldn't the step hose work?

Tim
914Mike
QUOTE(timofly @ May 20 2011, 07:42 PM) *

QUOTE(tod914 @ May 19 2011, 10:44 PM) *

Tod,

Thanks a lot. I get it. Do you have a suggested source for the 9mm-7mm adapter? Why wouldn't the step hose work?

Tim

I made my adapter from pipe barbs threaded into a coupling. The step hose would work, but I thought the were made from the old braided cloth hose back in the day. As in made a long time ago, and I did not want to risk "NOS" hose failing after a few months, not under the tank... Maybe this is wrong, I've never used nor even seen one. (Well, I might have taken one out and tossed it without noticing it was a step hose.) If it's not the acid resistant rubber looking hose, I don't use it anymore.

I did buy some NOS injector elbows once upon a time (AA) and they looked great, but leaked in less than 3 months.

Sorry, I don't know if the late tank fitting will fit an early tank, but I don't see why it wouldn't, even old VW tanks have the same thread IIRC. And the sock is the same too, aside from some early reserve valve types.
tod914
Tim, the problem with the step hose by the tank would be, the hose is only about 3" long. That means you'd have the filter hanging off the gas tank. I'd be real curious to see if the late style feed nozzle would be able to replace the early one in the gas tank. That would be a huge help. Mike's idea with the 7mm tunnel feed seems like a perfect solution. Regarding sources, Chris at Tangerine Racing has the step adapters on his fuel line webpage. Might be worth giving him a shout.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.