Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where to place lift pads when jacking a 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
type47
I'm having my car teched for a driving event this Sat and the car will be placed on a dealer style lift-one with 4 arms/center post/pads at the ends of the arms. Last time the pads were placed on the "donuts" but I was told or thought they were too weak to use to lift the car. Someone said they dent the floor. True or not? Where should I have the pads placed to lift the car?
silver74insocal
here you go ...
Click to view attachment
beerchug.gif
Dave
type47
QUOTE(silver74insocal @ May 19 2011, 08:01 PM) *

here you go ...
Click to view attachment
beerchug.gif
Dave

Thanks. Jacking donuts we used before are circled so I'll chalk it up to overthinking on my part...
Chris Pincetich
My front floorpan has a hump inside from repeated lifting on the donut. McMark is helping me rustore it, and said "don't do that anymore." The rear donut is apparently more solid. In your situation, tough call.
jsayre914
sad.gif I also have a lump on the front passenger floor from jacking on the donut. Mine happened not on a lift though, it was a basic floor jack and the other side of the car was on the ground. I have never lifted the car on a donut again

mabey it was just my car, no rust anywhere near the donut, confused24.gif
mskala
It's true, the front floor pan, where the donuts are, is not stiff.
When I stripped the paint from the interior to do the POR-15 on
it, there were obvious bends. Just hit it with a rubber mallet
and then don't jack from there any more.

If you jack from the rear donut, the front tire comes up
anyway.

QUOTE(jsayre914 @ May 20 2011, 04:40 PM) *

sad.gif I also have a lump on the front passenger floor from jacking on the donut. Mine happened not on a lift though, it was a basic floor jack and the other side of the car was on the ground. I have never lifted the car on a donut again

mabey it was just my car, no rust anywhere near the donut, confused24.gif

type47
So the question returns... Where do you put the pads? The tech is at a Porsche dealer so I doubt the shop mechanics will know biggrin.gif This car need to get up in the air tomorrow... popcorn[1].gif

andys
Since the lift will be distributing the weight on all four donuts silutaneously, I think that would be entirely acceptable. I suspect the floor pan hump/lump is caused when trying to lift on just that one pad alone with a floor jack.

Andys
KELTY360
QUOTE(andys @ May 20 2011, 03:24 PM) *

Since the lift will be distributing the weight on all four donuts silutaneously, I think that would be entirely acceptable. I suspect the floor pan hump/lump is caused when trying to lift on just that one pad alone with a floor jack.

Andys

agree.gif
oldschool
QUOTE(silver74insocal @ May 19 2011, 09:01 PM) *

So Dave can we lift from the sides?
here you go ...
Click to view attachment
beerchug.gif
Dave

McMark

That's probably true. But, the better place to put the front pads is on the long itself.
silver74insocal
sorry i should have mentioned im no expert, and that picture is off of another thread or website on the subject.
that being said, old school, i believe you can jack the car up on the side as long as you are directly on the long..but again, no expert popcorn[1].gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.