Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Lid Hing Brackets
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jeffs9146
As some of you know I am moving and I have been trying to get the car back together so I can drive it to the new place! I am getting ready to put the engine back in but I wanted to fix the engine lid hinge brackets before I do! I saw a thread about someone doing this not to long ago but I couldn't find it with a search. Where can I find the brackets and any tips on doing it right the first time would be greatly appreciated! Here is a photo of what I am replacing! If anyone has two brackets or knows where to find them please let me know!

Thanks

Jeff
RustyWa
I just replaced one on my car. It wasn't to bad at all.

I removed the rear window so I could get a 2", long armed, c-clamp on it to hold it VERY tight against the back. Since you have to replace both...I would do one at a time. Take measurements off an existing one where you can. When ready, just tack weld it in place, put engine lid back on so you can check for fitment and how the lid sits against the seal. Adjust the bracket if necessary. When you are happy, weld it up. I used 4 plug welds per each bracket.

Paint to match.
bongo monkey
They sell brackets?

I fabriciated a replacement bracket and welded it to the body. It wasn't an exact replacement, and there's still a bit of a gap, since the steel I had was too thick. But hey, at least I don't need a crowbar to open the engine lid now.
RustyWa
Oh...forgot to mention. I got the bracket from Pelican, it's on there website. It's a Restoration Design product.
Jeffs9146
I ended up purchasing a couple of brackets from PartsHeaven and rented a welder! I went to remove the old one on the passenger side and it was just hanging on with bondo. I had to cut out the old fire wall and replace a 4x5" section. I think it went well! I am not a pro at welding! welder.gif

Jeff
neo914-6
I am getting one from a members sawsall remains. Can't you just drill out the spot welds to remove it? I plan to take it to TC Design for the welding...
Felix
Jeffs9146
Can't you just drill out the spot welds to remove it?

Yep, thats what I did on one of mine but not the passenger side! The PO had done a crappy job repairing it :finger2: before and there wasn't enough metal to weld it back on!

The spot welds come off easily with just a drill.

Jeff
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.