Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What carrier do you use to ship an engine?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Andyrew
Im going to be getting an engine shipped to me, and its 375lbs. The guy thats shipped it told me that its $265 to ship it to a station, and 90 more to ship it to my door.

Who do you use to ship an engine? Is this about normal for a heavy engine?

Its from Northcoast, Ohio (gussing 43440 zip) to Modesto, California (95350 zip).

Thanks a ton

Andrew
Britain Smith
Brad and I use ForwardAir.

It cost around $150 to ship a 912 engine from Cali to Michigan.

-Britain
Andyrew
Thanks. I phoned Brad.

Andrew
grantsfo
If you can get Forward Air to do it for $150 door to door thats a bargin.

If you cant get competitive rates from Forward Air high quality LTL providers such as ABF, Watkins or Conway will move a crated engine for under $150. You will get cheaper rates if you pick up at their local terminal.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jun 2 2004, 04:11 PM)
Who do you use to ship an engine?

Malmz

smile.gif Andy
Mueller
Andy....sounds like you are getting that type IV from Zois??

sucker....., I mean congrats, LOL
seanery
Forward Air is a terminal to terminal service, but $100- $150 should do it.
machina
My motor arrived today from Jake FedEx Freight. Took 2 business days from GA to FL for $200.

They showed up at my house with a semi trialer that had no lift. We had to use my ramps and my gardner who happened to be here to slide her down. Luckily I also had a big cart to move it up the drive.

dr
Joe Bob
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jun 2 2004, 04:04 PM)
Andy....sounds like you are getting that type IV from Zois??

sucker....., I mean congrats, LOL

Thanks Mueller..... finger.gif
Scott Carlberg
Ok, I'll ask....

Hey Andrew, what Motor are you having shipped to you?

Zois: that's SirAndy! ph34r.gif
Andyrew
Even after the informative conversation that I had with Brad, I still think that I am going to get the 2.8 v6 engine in the classifieds. I have some good reasons not to go with the engine, but my main reason is the fact that, if (and when) my engine does go kerput, I dont want to be forking out 2k or more to rebuild my engine, and for only 100hp. I'll be getting a solid, reliable engine with more hp (claimed 210, I'll test that on a dyno when I get it). Yes it weights more, and Yes I have to plumb a radiator setup, But I'll be putting some fiberglass parts on my car, and I will be needing a radiator setup if I went with a EJ20TT or SBC anyways (besides, daddy says I cant drive it if I put a SBC in it.. I dont blame him).

The secrets out of the bag.

biggrin.gif

Andrew
Mueller
Andrew, I "might" have a V6 performance book for you, it's been a while since I've seen it.....I was looking at those small 60° V6's a few years back to put into my 510.

should be a fun setup
Andyrew
Thanks for the positive words, and not "DOnt do this, BLA bla bla bla..." Mike.

I would be very interested in that book if you have it.

Thanks

Andrew
klink
I used Central Transport. Motor and trans cost about$250 from Dallas/Fortworth to Colton, Ca. That was Depot to Depot. If you want residential pick up and delivery add about $200 for a truck with a lift gate etc. I was very satisfied with their service.
Mueller

no problem....I've always thought a nice little V6 is perfect for the 914's if you are going to go and do a motor swap.....V8 cars are a blast, but the V6 seems better suited, besides, you don't need as much of the specialized conversion parts............I'm waiting for a Cayanne V6 to come on the market at a reasonable price smile.gif
machina
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jun 3 2004, 01:21 AM)

no problem....I've always thought a nice little V6 is perfect for the 914's if you are going to go and do a motor swap.....V8 cars are a blast, but the V6 seems better suited, besides, you don't need as much of the specialized conversion parts............I'm waiting for a Cayanne V6 to come on the market at a reasonable price smile.gif

think the cayenne V6 is same as in Audi TT, touraeg? and other VW's.

dr
seanery
I read an article on the golf R32. They say that it is the same 3.2 liter V6 used in the Toureg and the V6 Cayenne.
Tom Perso
I used FedEx frieght to ship a motor to Texas - reasonably priced and the Fed Ex frieght places are open all hours of the night. Good people too!

Later,
Tom
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.