Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914... what to look for?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
exc911ence
OK, I'm heading out to look at a 75 914 for sale soon and I need a heads-up on what to really look out for. I know that rust is a major concern under the battery, in the rockers, in the trunks, etc but what else should I be looking for besides that? Thanks!!!

cool_shades.gif
TROJANMAN
make sure it starts lol2.gif

here's a good link
Jenny
Bring a screw driver. When the owner's distracted, poke freely. w00t.gif

Check behind the seats for rust as well.

Jen
TROJANMAN
somebody also suggested a magnet. if it doesn't stick to body panels, well..............
r_towle
I think it really depends on how much the car is....

If its cheap and the motor will turn by hand, you will get it started..

If its to rusty, pay more for another car...

Rich
SirAndy
QUOTE(exc911ence @ Jun 2 2004, 04:20 PM)
but what else should I be looking for besides rust?

3 words:

RUST, RUST & RUST

smash.gif Andy
pman
I just picked up my "new" 74'. Evidently it had sat for some time, as the turnsignals, hazard lights, horn and windshield wipers did not operate. After removing the relays, and replacing, all is well. Driving in the rain with only Rainex, was no fun. Good luck, I'm having a blast with mine.

Paul
Mueller
Welcome Paul,

where in LA are you? My wife and I go down to Covington, LA at least twice a year for business, our next trip should be in a few months. I've seen 4 914's down there. (2 in Mandiville, used to be owned by the same guy, 1 in Sidell and 1 in New Oreleans)
Trekkor
I ALWAYS ask the owner to let me start the car cold.
I tell him not to start the car that day. You want to hear the motor warm up. Hard starting?
Run it in 1st gear up to 3500 rpms and let it decel back down still in gear a few times. See if it pops out of gear or not.
Look for for violent oil leaks. Any funky tire wear or pulling from side to side brakes on and off.

Sniff for burning oil or clutch/brake whiff. icon8.gif

Any rouge mods? 914 butchery is to be avoided! biggrin.gif

If it has a six, tell me! <_<
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.