Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Rapture happened!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ptravnic
But before I gave the car up to the man w/the tow truck, I make a dash mod:
Click to view attachment

The new holes will house the tweeters from a set of Boston Acoustics Pro60SE. The 6.5" speakers will go in Morph's enclosures. I wanted the tweeters to be as incognito as possible so I chose a flush mount. I got the inspiration from ConeDodger's Thread.

Once it comes back from the bodyshop and gets put back together I'll post an update on how it turns out. Fingers crossed!

-pt
smontanaro
+1. If you want some assembly help after it returns, let me know.

Skip
ptravnic
QUOTE(smontanaro @ May 22 2011, 08:21 AM) *

+1. If you want some assembly help after it returns, let me know.

Skip

Sounds great! beerchug.gif
jmill
piratenanner.gif

Post plenty of picks when it comes back. What color you going with?
ptravnic
QUOTE(jmill @ May 22 2011, 07:10 PM) *

piratenanner.gif

Post plenty of picks when it comes back. What color you going with?

Will post pics of it going back together. The nice thing is that the engine was running well before I disconnected the battery/removed everything from the front trunk.

I'm on the fence between L20E (signal orange) and L21E (tangerine). It's been signal orange since ~1995 and for some reason, it seems a bit yellowish to me. It'll probably be a gametime decision...

-pt
speed metal army
first.gif Signal!
ptravnic
Shameless pics from the bodyshop:
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
nsr-jamie
whats the original paint code on the car? Thats the color I would re-spray if it were my car. But its your car...I like the original colors
eric9144
Keeping or deleting the front side markers? Nows the time if you're going to do it...
ConeDodger
The combination of Morph's speaker enclosures with Polk 6.5 mid-range and his passenger footwell sub-woofer along with the component tweeters on the dash is all the sound I need in my car. Very satisfying. I am going to install a power antenna that goes up and down with the radio power though...

I surface mounted my tweeters because I wasn't sure how much room there was under that dash surface. You're a braver man than me P!

I would go with Signal Orange. I suspect yours was just 40 year faded...
ptravnic
QUOTE(nsr-jamie @ Jun 1 2011, 10:06 AM) *

whats the original paint code on the car? Thats the color I would re-spray if it were my car. But its your car...I like the original colors

It was originally red. I don't want it to be red. Orange is my fav color and just love the way 914's look in both signal and tangerine. I've had it signal for 15yrs, I think I may change things up a bit and go w/tangerine this time around.

QUOTE(eric9144 @ Jun 1 2011, 10:19 AM) *

Keeping or deleting the front side markers? Nows the time if you're going to do it...

I have the side markers wired as extra blinkers. I may go with the modern side markers (ala vw) betw the door and fender well but haven't made a decision on that just yet...

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 1 2011, 10:25 AM) *

The combination of Morph's speaker enclosures with Polk 6.5 mid-range and his passenger footwell sub-woofer along with the component tweeters on the dash is all the sound I need in my car. Very satisfying. I am going to install a power antenna that goes up and down with the radio power though...

I surface mounted my tweeters because I wasn't sure how much room there was under that dash surface. You're a braver man than me P!

I have a new Hirschman power antenna waiting to go in. Also have a Morph sub enclosure but for now I'm going to hold off on putting in any sub - going to see how the Boston Acoustics components sound. Adding a sub means adding an amp, etc... One thing at a time.

I had so much of the dash apart that I was able to see under and measure to where there there was plenty of clearance so as to not interfere with the dash supports. Tight but plenty doable. Your post gave me the idea in the first place! thumb3d.gif
ptravnic
Back from paint - went with tangerine (L-21E). Time to start putting it back together...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
Purdy! smilie_pokal.gif
Randal

Now that is going to be a beautiful 914.
smontanaro
thumb3d.gif
ptravnic
Thanks for the kudos guys.

The body shop guys did some great work. 2 coats of primer, 3 coats of base, 2 coats of clear. If anyone in/around Chicago is looking to get work done I'd highly recommend them. PM me if interested.

The hitch will be used for a bike rack and hidden by the license plate when not in use. I picked up a light weight (~10lbs) rack that fits 2 bikes: Saris Bike Rack

AZ914
Saweeeet!
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(ptravnic @ Jul 20 2011, 01:23 PM) *

Thanks for the kudos guys.

The body shop guys did some great work. 2 coats of primer, 3 coats of base, 2 coats of clear. If anyone in/around Chicago is looking to get work done I'd highly recommend them. PM me if interested.

The hitch will be used for a bike rack and hidden by the license plate when not in use. I picked up a light weight (~10lbs) rack that fits 2 bikes: Saris Bike Rack

can you share cost ? I'm trying to budget out for next winter, when i start that process, need to have rust repair on longs and jack points done, and while i'm at it media blast and re-paint - since car has had a respray sometime in past.

looks great!!!!
gms
QUOTE(ptravnic @ Jul 20 2011, 11:47 AM) *

Back from paint - went with tangerine (L-21E). Time to start putting it back together...

Looks Great!
ptravnic
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Jul 20 2011, 12:48 PM) *

can you share cost ? I'm trying to budget out for next winter, when i start that process, need to have rust repair on longs and jack points done, and while i'm at it media blast and re-paint - since car has had a respray sometime in past.

I had door jambs replaced, sail panel metal work done, rear hitch installed, chassis stiffening kit installed, and exterior sanded down to bare metal and smoothed out. 2 Coats of primer, 3 coats of base, and 2 coats of clear all for $3,200. I think the work is probably worth twice that and most other shops would probably charge more than $5k. I just got lucky.

I did strip it down prior to pick up though - everything in the front trunk removed, interior bare, etc. The engine bay and wheel wells were not painted since I didn't want to take it down to a shell.

Drums66
....Doing good work! aktion035.gif
Kudo's upon kudo's
flag.gif smoke.gif bye1.gif
eric9144
Damn that seems like a he'll of a good deal and it really looks friggin awesome!

Now get to work putting it all back together! poke.gif
Vysoc
Nice RACK.....................the Saris Bike Rack.

I like the color choice, I painted my 71 Beetle that color of orange in 1978.

Vysoc flag.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.