Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Newbie needs answers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
frozen-914
Hello! I have been lurking awhile but now have a 74' parts car I am about to start working on.. I once had a 74 911, but now I just want to build a 914. But Need some answers from you guys.

1. Any ideas how to get a rear trunk,engine cover, and front trunk open, when they appear to be frozen. I cant seem to get anything open.

2. The ballpark price of a decent center counsel with the gauges in it.

3. The correct name of the wheels on my car.. (4 spoke mag type star pattern, black with a polished lip.)

thank you all.
SLITS
Need pics of the wheels ... could be ATS, American or ???

Front trunk .... there is a hole in the front sheet metal you can get to after you remove the front bumper. A screwdriver inserted will allow you to trigger the latch mechanism. Bumper bolts are accessed through the front wheel wells .... 2 bolts each side.

Engine lid .... You can see the latch through the mesh. You can possibly get a screwdriver in there as the pull cable is exposed for about 1". Sometimes, you can lever the pull cable enough to pull the latch mechanism. May damage paint though.

Rear trunk .... Don't really remember, but some have pulled the plastic cups (when the targa top latches reside when top in is the trunk) and used a long stiff wire to hook the mechanism and trigger it. You might also try removing the mesh side panels and unbolt the rear lid bolts.

Center console, with harness & gauges ... $125+
Tom_T
QUOTE(SLITS @ May 22 2011, 06:47 AM) *

Need pics of the wheels ... could be ATS, American or ???

Front trunk .... there is a hole in the front sheet metal you can get to after you remove the front bumper. A screwdriver inserted will allow you to trigger the latch mechanism. Bumper bolts are accessed through the front wheel wells .... 2 bolts each side.

Engine lid .... You can see the latch through the mesh. You can possibly get a screwdriver in there as the pull cable is exposed for about 1". Sometimes, you can lever the pull cable enough to pull the latch mechanism. May damage paint though.

Rear trunk .... Don't really remember, but some have pulled the plastic cups (when the targa top latches reside when top in is the trunk) and used a long stiff wire to hook the mechanism and trigger it. You might also try removing the mesh side panels and unbolt the rear lid bolts.

Center console, with harness & gauges ... $125+

agree.gif
If possible & if the technique below for the engine lid doesn't work or the release cable is snapped - then it's easiest to get the rear trunk first, then with it up you can access the engine lid latch easily with a screwdriver to trip it manually.

Also try some Liquid Wrench, PB Blaster or WD40 on the engine lid latch, into the rear lock - let it soak a couple of hours, then see if you can release the engine lid with the pull low at the rear wall next to the driver's seat, &/or rear trunk release (more than likely that the nylon actuator has broken off inside). It worked for my 73 after sitting in my garage for 25 years, just be somewhat gentle & patient with the engine lid pull to work it loose without snapping the cable.

If the engine lid pops, then you can probably reach the rear trunk latch from the gap in the rear lid & trunk wall/floor as Slits described above.

Oh & welcome.png
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.