Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WOT: Crazy City
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
fiid
I just don't get it. Last week they resurfaced our street. It looks very nice, and is smoother than it was before (it wasn't bad in relation to any of the other streets around).

This week the signs went up again - they are doing work on the sewer!!!

Would it not be smarter to do the sewage work first and then resurface the street???

Is there something to this that I just don't understand????

Can I have my tax money back????
Bruce Allert
I know exactly what yer talkin 'bout rolleyes.gif Did over 20 years in the Public sector. They had some real DA attacks. did just what is happening to you. I think they tear a nice new street up to have pemanent located services... (water lines, sewer, gas etc...) cool_shades.gif

......b
SirAndy
OR

when they were making all this hype about a really shitty & bumpy backroad in mill valley about 3 years ago.
then, they finally began to resurface the road. cool!

soo, after a few weeks of work, they opened the new road.
it looked perfect! so i take the jeep (read: off-road vehicle) for a ride
and guess what ...

those idiots didn't level out ANY of the bumps, they just put a new layer of tar over the old road.
so now we have a brand new shitty & bumpy road! WTF?

confused24.gif Andy
fiid
QUOTE(Bruce Allert @ Jun 3 2004, 05:14 AM)
I know exactly what yer talkin 'bout rolleyes.gif Did over 20 years in the Public sector. They had some real DA attacks. did just what is happening to you. I think they tear a nice new street up to have pemanent located services... (water lines, sewer, gas etc...) cool_shades.gif

......b

So you think it's just a lack of coordination... it's not that it makes the job easier in some magic way that I hadn't thought of....

buh.
Bruce Allert
Part of my job was to do inspections during road, water, sewer & sidewalk const. They'd put in this nice black top street then have the const. crew come back, cut sections out & install the water services to the lots where the houses were to be built. So then you'd have speed bumps where the ditch lines were. I told them (city engineers) to coordinate & schedule but that's all left up to the contractors. Has to do with a liability thing if the city starts telling them what to do. I think it was a bs.gif excuse to cover their DA attack. Also... the city engineers approved the laying of sewers behind houses (in peoples yards) along with manholes. There was no way in hell that a machine could have gotten in there to unplug the line if 'n when it became plugged.

That's why I went into the private sector of Maintenance. No one to blame but myself beer.gif

.......b
TROJANMAN
and you wonder why california is having budget problems.......... wacko.gif
Toast
QUOTE(fiid @ Jun 2 2004, 09:48 PM)
I just don't get it.  Last week they resurfaced our street.  It looks very nice, and is smoother than it was before (it wasn't bad in relation to any of the other streets around).

This week the signs went up again - they are doing work on the sewer!!!

Would it not be smarter to do the sewage work first and then resurface the street???

The main road I live off of has been re-paved 7 times in the last 5 years because they keep doing landscaping or running lines or hiring the lowest bidder for the roadwork and having to have it redone. Who knows what the real reason is.

Yet, the residetial streets that are on the other side of this road are so torn up that they throw my 4x4 truck out of alignment and have not been paved in the 7 years I have lived here.

I think its a Califronia thing.

And no, you cannot have your tax $ back. BUT, they will increase your taxes to pay other silly sh*t like paying for spanish speaking teachers so the students can get an education in their own language. fighting19.gif

Ok, rant over.
vortrex
QUOTE(fiid @ Jun 2 2004, 09:48 PM)
Can I have my tax money back????

good thing you don't live in philadelphia, you'd go nuts with all the city corruption here. the district I live in is about 5 x 3 blocks in size, no garbage cans at all, so it all goes on the ground. our neighborhood org has asked the city for garbage cans and finally they agreed to supply some, but we the residents have to empty them! keep in mind, we pay 4% CITY TAX here. with the income levels of people in our small neighborhood I would not be surprised if our combined tax dollars equate to square miles of residents in other parts of the city. this run down abandoned area was completely revitalized without any city help and this is the thanks we get.
fiid
QUOTE(Toast @ Jun 3 2004, 12:26 PM)

And no, you cannot have your tax $ back. BUT, they will increase your taxes to pay other silly sh*t like paying for spanish speaking teachers so the students can get an education in their own language. fighting19.gif

Ok, rant over.

I actually think it's a good thing to have teachers that can speak in different languages - I have more objection to the idea that seriously fucking with middle eastern countries is going to bring a better life for our posterity.

My fiancee (soon to be wife) and I have a young one one on the way; my research to date indicates we have 3 options for education:

1) Home schooling. Not ideal because of the lack of social interaction and also reduces the earning potential of the family greatly.

2) Private education - seems to run $10k or more a year, which cannot be recouped from the other education system we are paying for since there are no voucher schemes.

3) Leave the country.

This coupled with the cost of healthcare (not the copay - the bill you get 6 months later) makes it very difficult for one to consider this "the greatest country on earth". I'm tryin' to have pride , but sometimes it's hard.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.