Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Valve Adjustment Lock Nuts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914four
I have found most of my questions using the search function but not all of them.

1.) Can you use larger thickness lock nuts for the valve adjustment screws? From numerous valve adjustments from awkward positions under the car I noticed that I have started slightly rounding the nuts, especially the one on the #2 exhaust valve. With the engine out I thought it might be a good time to replace them.

2.) From a quote in another thread:

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jun 22 2009, 07:54 PM) *

Like I said, the 10mm units have a 14mm hex, thats nothing new.. Always been that way..

Everything on the engine has a torque...

Sorry to bring up such an old thread quote but I never new there was a torque setting for the lock nuts.

Can someone help me with the torque for the lock nuts? I thought it might be listed in the Haynes manual at the beginning of chapter one but I am unable to find it there. What is the torque setting for the lock nuts?
type47
Jake is the Master but I've never seen a torque spec for valve adjust screw jam nuts. And how the heck would you get a torque wrench in there to tighten it?!? If you are rounding off the jam nuts, are you using a box end wrench and not an open end? There is a stubby 14mm box end-open end wrench that would fit in the tight space for the job. I think the valve adjust screws are "very fine" pitch, certainly not 1.0-1.5, but if you could find nuts of the correct pitch, I don't see why you couldn't use them. However, I bet it's easier to find the correct factory nuts than thicker ones.
DBCooper
Use the factory nuts. They're cheap, buy a few extras. From VW will be cheaper than from Porsche.

No mechanic I know uses a torque wrench, and it's not a particularly critical value as long as they're snug enough. If you don't know how tight they should be by feel then torque one or two to get the feel for it and you'll be good.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.