Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: clutch cable
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
partwerks
What's the easiest way to remove and replace the clutch cable?
Cap'n Krusty
Remove the clevis and pin from the clutch shaft under the pedal board, pull it through the back. Installation is the reverse, with the caution not to intertwine the clutch and throttle cables inside the front foot of the center tunnel.

The Cap'n
partwerks
I was thinking also that someone told me to tie the new one to the end of the old one and pull it in as the old one is exiting?
markb
QUOTE(partwerks @ May 23 2011, 10:38 AM) *

I was thinking also that someone told me to tie the new one to the end of the old one and pull it in as the old one is exiting?

Only if you want to spend a couple of hours getting it unstuck again. There's not enough room to get anything but the cable thru that tube. BTDT sad.gif
HarveyH
Another thing to think about: I seem to remember some people talking about the swaging of the threaded ferrule to the cable itself may need a little work to clear the inside of the guide tube. Some have had the problem and some have not. Just a few strokes with a hand file on the corners should do it. Don't get carried away or you might weaken the swage.

Harvey
Cap'n Krusty

Look at a new cable. Think about it. How ya gonna get that bowden tube (flexible housing) through the steel tube in the body? Sometimes you have to pick and choose who you listen to ...................

The Cap'n
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(HarveyH @ May 23 2011, 02:36 PM) *

Another thing to think about: I seem to remember some people talking about the swaging of the threaded ferrule to the cable itself may need a little work to clear the inside of the guide tube. Some have had the problem and some have not. Just a few strokes with a hand file on the corners should do it. Don't get carried away or you might weaken the swage.

Harvey

That's for the throttle cable. If your clutch cable wont fit through the relatively huge tube, you have other problems.

The Cap'n, dispeller of myths
Chris Pincetich
The Cap'n, o ye great dispeller of myths,

Any advice when doing this with the Terry Cable version of the 914 clutch cable? Same tips?
THANKS beerchug.gif

Chris, who heeds advice from men with big hats
HarveyH
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 23 2011, 05:56 PM) *

QUOTE(HarveyH @ May 23 2011, 02:36 PM) *

Harvey

That's for the throttle cable. If your clutch cable wont fit through the relatively huge tube, you have other problems.

The Cap'n, dispeller of myths

Mea Maxima Culpa

Harvey
partwerks
Now that the new clutch cable is in, I'm guessing at some point it will need to be adjusted as it stretches out a bit??

Exactly how far off the floor board b4 it releases?

How do I know when I have it adjusted to the correct distance?
914 shifter
QUOTE(partwerks @ May 26 2011, 07:33 PM) *

Now that the new clutch cable is in, I'm guessing at some point it will need to be adjusted as it stretches out a bit??

Exactly how far off the floor board b4 it releases?

How do I know when I have it adjusted to the correct distance?

1/2 -3/4 inches of freeplay when pedal is out. when fully depressed look under car and make sure the pivot arm is not hitting the trans case. if it is adjust pedal board stop.
TheCabinetmaker
Hey Cap'n, you should put that as part of your permanent signature.
Drums66

......My friday morning....Amusement laugh.gif
poke.gif (couldn't resist, no need to do that) stop laughing Cap'n
bye1.gif
StrayHorse
QUOTE(Drums66 @ May 27 2011, 11:59 AM) *

bye1.gif

Hi everyone,
I'm new here.
I just bought my first Porsche on Friday and this is my first post. I just replaced my clutch cable this afternoon and took some pictures along the way. Is this something I should post or has it been done so many times that it would be redundant?
Thanks, happy to be here!
markb
QUOTE(StrayHorse @ Aug 4 2011, 09:45 PM) *

bye1.gif

Hi everyone,
I'm new here.
I just bought my first Porsche on Friday and this is my first post. I just replaced my clutch cable this afternoon and took some pictures along the way. Is this something I should post or has it been done so many times that it would be redundant?

welcome.png
We encourage pics.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(markb @ Aug 4 2011, 09:52 PM) *

bye1.gif

Hi everyone,
I'm new here.

welcome.png
We encourage pics.

And bad behavior, too. And donations to my personal retirement fund.

The Cap'n
StrayHorse
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 4 2011, 11:02 PM) *

QUOTE(markb @ Aug 4 2011, 09:52 PM) *

bye1.gif

Hi everyone,
I'm new here.

welcome.png
We encourage pics.

And bad behavior, too. And donations to my personal retirement fund.

The Cap'n

I might be a newby, but I'm not green...
Should I add the photos and instructions within this thread or start a new one?
SirAndy
QUOTE(StrayHorse @ Aug 4 2011, 10:11 PM) *

A new thread would probably be better ...

welcome.png
StrayHorse
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 4 2011, 11:42 PM) *

QUOTE(StrayHorse @ Aug 4 2011, 10:11 PM) *

A new thread would probably be better ...

welcome.png

Thanks. It will probably take me longer to show/explain the process than it did to actually replace it, but here goes: Replace clutch cable.
VOX
pictures would be appreciated, i've gotta replace my clutch and throttle cable soon, but first i have to buy them, any recommended places to get them? throttle cable i might need a special one due to my Subaru conversion.
StrayHorse
QUOTE(VOX @ Aug 5 2011, 01:09 AM) *

pictures would be appreciated, i've gotta replace my clutch and throttle cable soon, but first i have to buy them, any recommended places to get them? throttle cable i might need a special one due to my Subaru conversion.

I bought my parts from AutoAtlanta.com, very nice people and good service. Ask for a catalog, they have everything. I am trying to post my instructions: this damn computer-thing is more difficult than working on the car!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.