Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT NPC: My procrastination thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KELTY360
Hi, I'm Marc and I'm a procrastiholic.

They say the first step in addressing your problems is admitting you have a problem. So in an effort to be accountable to myself I'm coming out of the closet garage. I'm real good at buying stuff and starting projects.....not so good at finishing. I can take stuff apart pretty good, but getting them back together is not a strong point. I can back that statement up with a collection of engines and transmissions on the ground in my shop from the '40s, '50s, '70s & '90s.

This spring I've become determined to break the cycle, get off my ass and get some jewels back on the road. Because many of you share my affliction I thought I'd share my demons with you to help fortify my resolve.

This is Loocy (pronounced Lucy), a 1954 Mercury convertible, last driven 2001. Currently the front suspension is being rebuilt so that she can get wheels on the ground in preparation for transport to a friend's shop where a rebuilt engine and transmission can be installed along with many other details required to get her driving by late July.
Click to view attachment

This is Cloud, a 1947 Lincoln Club Coupe, last driven July 2004. Has original flathead V-12 and was previously owned by Merle Haggard. Currently being readied for the road with the help of Troy (messix) so it can be sold.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Meet Tintipi, a 1987 Syncro Westy, last driven November 2009. Getting a Subie conversion to a 3.3L six, regeared transmission with differential lock and drive shaft decoupler. The ultimate wilderness camping rig.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Finally there's Ike, a 1950 Willys Jeepster. No idea when last driven...I pulled him out of a boneyard in Colorado in 2004 where he had sat since 1972. A serious case of lost puppy syndrome..."it followed me home, can I keep it?" I'd like to turn Ike into an old school rat rod, but as you can see, there's a long waiting list.
Click to view attachment

That's it. Stay tuned as I attempt to clear the logjams and get some of this old iron on road trips and off guilt trips. I feel so much better now.
Tom_T
Very nice set of vintage wheels Marc! drooley.gif

I can't show my wife Tintipi or else she'll want that engine in her 88 non-synchro before I get to finish my 914! dry.gif

My good buddy in San Diego had an early 60's Jeepster like that which he refurbed in the late 80's, & eventually sold in the late 90's - Red & White & beautiful! wub.gif

From a fellow sidetracked by too many other house, car & honey-do projects procatinatiholic -
Damn the torpedoes & full speed ahead Cap'n Kelty! biggrin.gif
914werke
This is Cloud, a 1947 Lincoln Club Coupe, last driven July 2004. Has original flathead V-12 and was previously owned by Merle Haggard. Currently being readied for the road with the help of Troy (messix) so it can be sold.

blink.gif Ahem...so let me understand this, Youve enlisted the help of another known Procrastiholic (and confirmed Asshat) to help you out of this automotive hole youve dug yourself...

Good luck biggrin.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ May 23 2011, 12:51 PM) *

blink.gif Ahem...so let me understand this, Youve enlisted the help of another known Procrastiholic (and confirmed Asshat) to help you out of this automotive hole youve dug yourself...

Good luck biggrin.gif

You have a firm grasp of the problem Rich. headbang.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(Tom_T @ May 23 2011, 12:42 PM) *

Very nice set of vintage wheels Marc! drooley.gif

I can't show my wife Tintipi or else she'll want that engine in her 88 non-synchro before I get to finish my 914! dry.gif

My good buddy in San Diego had an early 60's Jeepster like that which he refurbed in the late 80's, & eventually sold in the late 90's - Red & White & beautiful! wub.gif

From a fellow sidetracked by too many other house, car & honey-do projects procatinatiholic -
Damn the torpedoes & full speed ahead Cap'n Kelty! biggrin.gif

Thanks Tom. Just put a 2.2 Subie in that Westy and she'll let you do anything you want with the 914.
trojanhorsepower
I'm rooting for you. You can count on my worthless advice and encouragement. I am far better at organizing other peoples projects than I am at finishing my own.
dry.gif

-Peter
saigon71
You officially have the support of a man who has had a teener on jackstands for two years now! beerchug.gif

Good luck with all your projects...on the bright side, my list looks shorter now! biggrin.gif
dw914er
I really like the Lincoln smile.gif
r_towle
if you really are a procrastinator you would have just thought about posting this thread and put if off for another day.
PeeGreen 914
You can always count on my support beerchug.gif I don't really know what that means but your can always count on it happy11.gif
7TPorsh
I ...nevermind
Drums66
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 23 2011, 02:10 PM) *

if you really are a procrastinator you would have just thought about posting this thread and put if off for another day.

Don't talk to him today.......talk tomorrow poke.gif idea.gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
bye1.gif
KELTY360

Actually, I've been thinking about it for a long time and I put off putting it off. wacko.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ May 23 2011, 07:43 PM) *

Actually, I've been thinking about it for a long time and I put off putting it off. wacko.gif

you are already healing.
JRust
Are any of those projects for sale jester.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(JRust @ May 23 2011, 08:39 PM) *

Are any of those projects for sale jester.gif

Sure, as a matter of fact I've been thinking about a Creamsicle theme on the Lincoln.
KELTY360
Baby steps today. The fuel was drained from the Lincoln's tank last week and today new fuel was added with some seafoam. New battery installed and after a little coaxing she fired over and ran. The idle smoothed out after a time and Troy and I took it out for a drive...first time on the road in 7 years. Stumbled a little on acceleration which got worse to the point that it wouldn't accelerate under load. Had to pull it up the hill to my house. Carb rebuild is in it's future and a boil out of the tank. But it's all good.

Troy wrenching on the V12.
Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
What the hell Troy, Youre putting youreself into his shoes,
What about your demons ( white 914 )

although I would love a ride in a 12cyl Lincoln.

Son your gonna drive me to drinkin If you dont stop drivin that hotrod Lincoln. (Camander Cody.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9QpDvhshOQ
messix
so smooth
messix
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ May 24 2011, 10:08 PM) *

What the hell Troy, Youre putting youreself into his shoes,
What about your demons ( white 914 )

although I would love a ride in a 12cyl Lincoln.

Son your gonna drive me to drinkin If you dont stop drivin that hotrod Lincoln. (Camander Cody.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9QpDvhshOQ

see.... there this guy that has a really sweet lift that might come in handy pretty soon....
Root_Werks
Good job guys and keep at it.

Love the toys!

driving.gif
KELTY360
I've been told many times that it's real important to do some task every day but it's never really sunk in headbang.gif . I'm now using the chalkboard, which I've had up for years, to remind me of the next step needed for each car. Now i just need to keep updating it.

Click to view attachment

This may not look exciting but to me is means the front suspension is back together with disc brake spindles. Major step finished on the way to wheels on the ground.
Click to view attachment

Busy weekend coming up. Around the car projects I plan to put on my old Stetson Cav hat from the 'Nam and visit a memorial service. Everyone enjoy.........and thank a vet.
Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
Marc , John Walker wants some info and pics of the Lincoln.
206-789-6800
jwworkshop@aol.com
KELTY360
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jun 2 2011, 09:41 AM) *

206-789-6800
jwworkshop@aol.com

Thanks Jeff, I'll get a hold of him. That car might be just his size.
r_towle
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jun 2 2011, 01:53 PM) *

206-789-6800
jwworkshop@aol.com

put that todo on the blackboard or you will never get around to it.

smile.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 2 2011, 12:20 PM) *

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jun 2 2011, 01:53 PM) *

206-789-6800
jwworkshop@aol.com

put that todo on the blackboard or you will never get around to it.

smile.gif

Now why didn't I think of that? headbang.gif

Done
Click to view attachment
KELTY360
Lots of tasks have been added and crossed off the board and today Loocy came off jackstands for the first time in way too many years!

The front suspension has newly powdercoated control arms with new ball joints and bushings. A rebuilt factory power steering rack has also been retro-fitted.
Click to view attachment

With the steering and handling enhancements comes a disc brake conversion.
Click to view attachment

I put new air in the tires and tried to mount them to the new hubs, only to discover that the center hole on the '54 wheels was too small for the '75 Granada hubs. headbang.gif Made a call to the neighborhood boneyard for some later model wheels and they set me up. When they asked what condition the tires needed to be I said, "hold air." Ultimately a set of wide white radials will be ordered.

It felt great to slide those jackstands out and lower the car to the ground. Tomorrow she leaves the garage for the shop where the rebuilt engine and tranny will be installed.
Click to view attachment

Now I can spend some time getting the 914 prepped for WCR. boldblue.gif
messix
i worked on mine tonight.....

good news - bad news.....

bad news - i can't find my damn feeler gauges headbang.gif

good news - i do not have hydraulic lifters, and the lifters look good and the cam looks good. so valve adjustment and get the valve covers back on and then the ssi's and exhaust and then i running! smilie_pokal.gif
KELTY360
Well, I thought I had posted Loocy being pushed out of the garage and onto the trailer but I guess I must have put it off. dry.gif

Backtrack to mid-June and off she goes to a friends shop for installation of the engine and tranny plus a myriad of other tasks: rebuild power window regulators & motors, replace vent window frame with restored stainless unit, run new brake lines, restore gas tank, build brake booster bracket, run power steering lines, new carpet, on and on and on.

Here she leaves her resting place for the last ten years.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Fast forward 4 months - ready to go to the exhaust shop for a set of duals!
Click to view attachment

Drove her for the first time in ten years! Granted, it was only onto the trailer, but it was better than hand winching.
Click to view attachment

The project has held to the Twice Rule - twice as long, twice as much $$, but we've made great progress and can now start on dialing in the details; which will lead to catching up on some of those other projects I've been putting off....and so, on.
jcambo7
drunk.gif
Tom
Marc,
That is looking so nice. Sure wish I had my 55 Monclair back. I'll Pm some some info on it.
Tom
KELTY360
Can you find the 914 in this picture?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

These pics were taken a couple of weeks ago after a quick test drive around the block.
KELTY360
Luucy has returned home with a new lease on life! Complete mechanical restoration including power windows, power seat, fuel tank cleaned and sealed, new shocks, later model steel wheels (for disc brakes), restored and retrofitted factory power steering, engine rebuilt (2003), tranny rebuilt (2004), disc brake conversion. instrument panel replaced with upgraded parts, plus a myraid of other details. I've been collecting parts for almost 20 years and they've now been placed where they belong.

Drove her home yesterday and she is smooth and powerful. So nice to have her back in the garage.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Now I can get on with the Lincoln's issues; the fuel tank is at the radiator shop for cleaning and sealing, Troy rebuilt the carb, I just need to get an oversize drain plug for the oil pan and it will be back on the road...and the sale block.
messix
she's a beauty!

drooley.gif
r_towle
Glad to see you are taking your time.....wouldn't want to rush things you might be able to do tomorrow.

rich
JRust
Beautiful Marc drooley.gif
Scott S
fantastic!
KELTY360
QUOTE(r_towle @ Feb 22 2012, 06:40 AM) *

Glad to see you are taking your time.....wouldn't want to rush things you might be able to do tomorrow.

rich

Yeah, it's important not to run out of projects. shades.gif
KELTY360
After running out of excuses not to get the Lincoln ready for sale; I got the tank cleaned and installed, charged up the battery, put a couple hundred miles on in various test runs it was ready to go on the sales process. I was prepared for it to possibly take months to find the right person. So this morning I headed out for an old car swap meet at 6:00am. The car cruised the freeway effortlessly, making me wonder why I wanted to let it go. An hour later I was pulling into a spot in the car corral, unloaded my chair, pulled out the morning paper and settled in for what I thought would be a long day. 10 minutes later a guy comes by and gives it a careful once over and makes a low offer; I counter and he says he'll think about it and heads off to check out a few more cars. Half an hour later he's back, talking about the logistics of a deal and the next thing I know we've got an agreement. All told it took about an hour from when I parked!

I owe this all to my procrastination skills. I could have had it ready for sale a year ago but I would have probably gone through looky loos and tire kickers wasting my time for a myriad of reasons. Instead I timed the market to just the time when a motivated buyer would see the car...piece 'o cake.

I'm excited to send it to a good home but I'll miss that car.

Click to view attachment
r_towle
Both cars are gorgeous...
Now.....what to do with the money....hmmm
KELTY360
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 19 2012, 05:17 PM) *

Both cars are gorgeous...
Now.....what to do with the money....hmmm

Yeah, nature and vacuums don't coexist well. idea.gif I think it's time to get that SVX Westy project moving.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.