Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Electronic Ignition
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KaptKaos
Looking for recommendations on which product to use and a procedure to follow so I can't screw it up too badly.

Let me know.

Thanks,
Joe

73 1.7 - (stock)
RonnieJ
I put a Pertroix in my 1.7 three months ago and it works great wink.gif. All I've heard so far has been good, but I'm new to the 914 community.
ROn
tat2dphreak
pertronix and compufire are both good...

welcome RonnieJ! beer.gif
Bruce Allert
My Pertronics have been goin strong for over a year. Super simple install too... easier than points smilie_pokal.gif

.......b
pbanders
I installed a Crane X3000 a few years ago. Works fine, no need for timing/dwell adjustments any more. But I detected no improvement over the stock ignition system in terms of drivability or performance.
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(pbanders @ Jun 4 2004, 03:18 PM)
I installed a Crane X3000 a few years ago. Works fine, no need for timing/dwell adjustments any more. But I detected no improvement over the stock ignition system in terms of drivability or performance.

yep, from what I hear, if you want a boost in power, mallory is the only way to fly... not cheap though...
Kerrys914
I have pertronix in my '74.

Has anyone heard that if you leave the ignition on and the car is not running (IE the engine dies) the pertronix will burn up?

Cheers
Kerry
Bruce Allert
I've heard about it but I've gone away with mine running & came back after 5 minutes with it not running and no harm was done. This I've done 3 or 4 times.

Now watch... now that I've said this I'll get marooned rolleyes.gif

.......b beer.gif
seanery
yes i have heard that.
so, i don't leave the key in the ignition anymore.

74 2.7 has a petronix
and the 72 2.0 has a petronix too
lapuwali
The newer "Ignitor II" is supposed to cure this problem. You can apparently burn up your coil even with points if you leave the ignition on too long w/o the car running. I have a Pertronix in my Mini, and it's worked fine for several thousand miles (dunno for sure, the Pertronix works much better than the odometer).

I've also used a Crane in an Alfa, and while it worked great, installation was much more of a hassle.

As for the Mallory, only if you don't have D-Jet, anymore.
STL914
Joe,

I installed a Pertronix Ignitor in my 2.2 liter motor
just after I bought my 74. That was back in 1998.

I've had zero problems with it. In fact, the Ignitor has outlived my 74. The Ignitor and the motor now reside in my "new" 72 914. Not bad for a $60 investment.
wheelo
Fellas - Pertronix works with stock D-jet Dizzy ?
Some say-no, but if you are running with now..
shit... I am gett'n me some... too !
smoke.gif
Mike9142.0
QUOTE(wheelo @ Jun 5 2004, 12:48 AM)
Pertronix works with stock D-jet Dizzy ?

I have a Pertronix in my 70 and 73 914 with stock D-jet, and in my 65 bug that is driven every day.
The bug has 30k with the Pertronix over the last 4 years and never a problem.
Pertronix is the only thing I willl use.
tod914
Question on the pertronix. It has two wires. A black one, and a black with red stripe. I want to verify that mine was installed properly by a shop.
Which wire goes to which lead on the coil?

Does the red and black pertronix wire go on the same side as the red ignition harness wire or on the side with the black ignition wire?

Thanks. If someone could scan the directions or know of a link that would be great.

Thanks
lapuwali
Black goes to the - post on the coil, black/red (or all red on some units), goes to the + side (or any other source of switched +12). If your car is running, it was installed properly.
seanery
I talked to the guy from Petronix today, invited him to come check us out and tell us about his products.

They have an ignitor II which is an improved version that does more stuff, including allows you not to worry as much if you leave the key in the on position.

They also have a multiple spark box that seems quite nice.

The ignitor II is not officially available for the 009 distributor, but can be found at some speed shops. There is a slight clearance issue that needs to be taken care of.

Hopefully, if he shows up, he'll spread the word.
carr914
Been running MSD 6AL ignition box with MSD billit distributer on a 2.0 with webers for over 10 years. It's a great system.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.