Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Neutralizing Paint Stripper
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Lawrence
I talked to my apartment manager, and he's letting me out of my lease early, with no penalties. I at least expected to lose the security deposit. He was very cool.

However, he did mention that I needed to clean up the paint overspray on the concrete floor of my balcony. (My place is on the third floor). I painted some stuff out there for the Mid US Ramble Awards. A mix of red, gold and bronze paint overspray.

Normally, I'd just wash the paint stripper off into the drain/grass/whatever with enough water to dilute it to the point of being harmless. However, I don't think that he'd appreciate the stripper flowing down the painted walls of this building.

So, what can I use to neutralize the stripper after I use it to clean up the paint? I don't want to screw this guy - he's been really cool since I've lived here.

-Rusty
rhodyguy
rusty, this might work for you and it's user/enviro friendly. i dropped a bottle of vinegar on my garage floor. as i stated rubbing it up the floor was grey again. a couple of gallons should do the trick let it work for a while then hose it off. if that doesn't help try muratic acid, wet the floor first, delute it, with that one though and wear a resiprator and good rubber gloves and boots. take the boots off or you'll be buying new carpets.

kevin
jonwatts
I'm not sure what will neutralize the paint stripper and I'd be afraid to mix any chemicals with it, who knows what the reaction might be. I'd probably just use sawdust or kitty litter, or maybe cedar chips (you have gerbils, don't you laugh.gif ) to lift the stuff up.

Just a thought. I love my garage, I never want to go back.
Lawrence
Thanks for the replies, guys.

Oh, Jon? I don't have the gerbils... that's you and Zois. :finger2:

-Rusty cool_shades.gif
fuch toy
Bite me Larry....
Lawrence
I've had anthrax and smallpox shots... but no rabies.

And I don't think there's a shot for cooties. smile.gif
bernbomb914
Why dont you ask the landlord if you can paint the whole deck with a waterproof paint to cover up the overspray? would be less work and should look nice. They make paint for this use.

Bernie MDB2.gif
tod914
i dropped a bottle of vinegar on my garage floor

We use to use white vinegar to clean mortar tubes before an inspection - the problem is it will flash rust soon after. So, hence we oiled them after the cleaning. Excellent cleaner though. Might work well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.