Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best laid plans!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VaccaRabite
Back at Hershey, I scored big time on a set of 2.0 SSIs and a non-rusty Bursche.

I got home, and had 2 sets of exhaust gaskets, a set of the copper exhaust port rings, and got a 2.0 hanger from Joe. The hanger needed a little love, as one of the ears had come free, but a little welding and paint and it was right as rain.

I cleaned everything up, laid it out, and was excited to start a project with ALL the stuff I need, and not get caught by a critical missing washer or something.

Huh. seems both sets of exhaust gaskets I have are for a 1.7/1.8.
Huh, the hanger does not come close to fitting.

Huh. The lower bolt holding my alternator in has come free and dangling!

So I got the exchangers on, but looks like I need to stop by Translog tomorrow if I can get home from work in time. I need parts!

Before I put the car on the ground again, I also need to get some paint to paint up my warm air guides that I could not put on when I was using headers. Which means I'll also be able to install the thermostat again.

Zach

bugsy0
java script:emoticon(':DRUNK:',%20'smid_6')I year ya. But you bein' a 914 guy know deep down that that Bursch exhaust w/ 2 litre SSI's is gonna satisfy big
bugsy0
and I can never remember how to work those stupid emoticons. Is it click or drag... 50/50
TheCabinetmaker
click
type47
You learn something new every day

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopca...p_pg1.htm#item3

I thought they were one size fits all...
jsayre914
smoke.gif

What a stoner

hide.gif

VaccaRabite
I think all the port gaskets are the same. I think. The ones I have probably came out of a 1.7 kit (given that both sets of my gaskets that go between the exchangers and the muffler are also 1.7). The port gaskets fit fine.

I did not know that the gaskets between the exchangers and muffler were different though. That does not make sense.

Zach

Cevan
I went through the same thing when I swapped out my stockn exhaust (1.8L) for 2.0 SSI HEs. It sucked waiting for the damn gaskets.

Why are you getting rid of the header?
VaccaRabite
pop pop pop pop pop pop pop

And it would be nice to clear the inside of my windshield on the super humid east coast evenings.

I am de-raceing my car since we are building the race car. Want to make it a bit quiter and more comfortable, and still be able to play at the occasional AX. Not wearing ear plugs on longer drives would be nice. Going to pull the GT engine grill and go back to a stocker with a rain tray, etc.

Zach
Dr Evil
What long drives? confused24.gif
VaccaRabite
Baltimore.
Frederick.
Maybe one day Washington PA.

Bitch.

If i don't wear foamies I have a headache if I drive the car for over 20 minutes or so.

Zach
Root_Werks
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 26 2011, 07:26 PM) *

What long drives? confused24.gif

lol-2.gif

smile.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ May 26 2011, 04:24 PM) *

I think all the port gaskets are the same. I think. The ones I have probably came out of a 1.7 kit (given that both sets of my gaskets that go between the exchangers and the muffler are also 1.7). The port gaskets fit fine.

I did not know that the gaskets between the exchangers and muffler were different though. That does not make sense.

Zach

The exhaust port gaskets are NOT the same. ID is smaller on the 1.7/1.8. The muffler gaskets are waaaaaaaay different, too. Larger flange and ports on the 2 liter.

The Cap'n
VaccaRabite
Wow. Did not know that.
My engine is built off a bus case which is probably why the 1.7/1.8 port gaskets work.

Zach
scotty b
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ May 26 2011, 06:22 PM) *

I am de-raceing my car since we are building the race car.
Zach

blink.gif Who dat be ?? huh.gif
jsayre914
Zach, did you get your car sorted??

driving.gif popcorn[1].gif
Dr Evil
Before you drive it or fire it up, make sure you check for things like timing lights, wrenches on the pulleys, rags, tire irons...etc...poke.gif
JmuRiz
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ May 26 2011, 06:22 PM) *

I am de-raceing my car since we are building the race car. Want to make it a bit quiter and more comfortable, and still be able to play at the occasional AX. Not wearing ear plugs on longer drives would be nice. Going to pull the GT engine grill and go back to a stocker with a rain tray, etc.

So, what are you doing with that GT engine grill.... idea.gif
jsayre914
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jun 2 2011, 12:43 PM) *

Before you drive it or fire it up, make sure you check for things like timing lights, wrenches on the pulleys, rags, tire irons...etc...poke.gif

Zach, dont let this guy intimidate you mad.gif
VaccaRabite
The grill will go to the race car if we want it, or I'll sell it.

And I know SOMEONE has shot flaming rags out his exhaust before. smile.gif I'm in good company.
Zach
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ May 27 2011, 04:34 AM) *

Wow. Did not know that.
My engine is built off a bus case which is probably why the 1.7/1.8 port gaskets work.

Zach

IME, which on 914s is considerable, I have yet to see the exhaust ports on the engine case. There's always a chance, I suppose ............................

The Cap'n
Cap'n Krusty
"Before I put the car on the ground again, I also need to get some paint to paint up my warm air guides that I could not put on when I was using headers. Which means I'll also be able to install the thermostat again."

Zach

Why would not having HEs have anything to do with having or not having a thermostat?

The Cap'n
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 2 2011, 06:16 PM) *

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ May 27 2011, 04:34 AM) *

Wow. Did not know that.

Zach

IME, which on 914s is considerable, I have yet to see the exhaust ports on the engine case. There's always a chance, I suppose ............................

The Cap'n

idea.gif Well, the 1.7 heads cut to accept 2.0 jugs probably help...

...what? The heads eventually work back to the case.... Somehow.
first.gif
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 2 2011, 06:40 PM) *

"Before I put the car on the ground again, I also need to get some paint to paint up my warm air guides that I could not put on when I was using headers. Which means I'll also be able to install the thermostat again."

Zach

Why would not having HEs have anything to do with having or not having a thermostat?

The Cap'n

without the warm air guides, it takes the thermostat longer to open up then normal. You can't use the warm air guides with a header, and wityh all the race crap on the car I only ever drove it on perfct warm days, so I left the thermostat off with the flaps to the open position.

Now that I can put the warm air guides back on, I want to put the thermostat back so that the engine warms up faster and stays in prime operating temperature on the long downhills I have here.

Zach
type47
You'd think that a guy with 914 experience, and considerable at that, could read into the situation and not be so literal... rolleyes.gif
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jun 2 2011, 06:54 PM) *

The grill will go to the race car if we want it, or I'll sell it.

And I know SOMEONE has shot flaming rags out his exhaust before. smile.gif I'm in good company.
Zach

Just when I thought no one listened to my stories biggrin.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(type47 @ Jun 3 2011, 05:10 AM) *

You'd think that a guy with 914 experience, and considerable at that, could read into the situation and not be so literal... rolleyes.gif

Me? I don't build motors without all the pieces, so I wouldn't know about thermostat operation without the lower shrouding. However, I doubt the difference would amount to much.

The Cap'n
914Mike
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ May 25 2011, 08:03 PM) *

Huh. seems both sets of exhaust gaskets I have are for a 1.7/1.8.
Huh, the hanger does not come close to fitting.

Huh. The lower bolt holding my alternator in has come free and dangling!

So I got the exchangers on, but looks like I need to stop by Translog tomorrow if I can get home from work in time. I need parts!

Before I put the car on the ground again, I also need to get some paint to paint up my warm air guides that I could not put on when I was using headers. Which means I'll also be able to install the thermostat again.

Zach

Almost all of that happened to me last month, in reverse. My SSHE's are for a 1.8, all I had in inventory was 2.0 gaskets. Had to drive over to the bug shop to get the 1.8 size (fits a 2.0 bus). The alternator bolt was loose too. The odd thing was the thermostat had busted into 3 pieces, so I sent it off to Area 51 to be rebuilt... w00t.gif

There are two different 2.0 looking hangers, maybe you have the one from a '75-'76.

My 1.8 Bursch took forever to find, Bradholio finally gave up looking, so I went to HPH and got one. But my SSHE's are made with the same size pipe as the 2.0 ones, so stock was out...

OOH, I finally have matching numbers!
Derek Seymour
Curious if you are going to sell the header. Not to be a vulture or anything biggrin.gif
VaccaRabite
Plan was to sell at Hershey next April. Not opposed to selling earlier but indie not want to have tO box it up and ship.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.