Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Medford
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Randal
So how many 914's are going to be running the AutoX at Medford?

And is Britain going to give us a course diagram before the event?

I think it should be published on the Where2Race website for all of the World to see. flag.gif

PeeGreen 914
Well, I hope to have mine there but it really is one the beginning of the being built. Most of what I have to put on it won't even be at my house yet. So I will be AXing a mostly stock daily driver with a few minor mods done smile.gif

Hoping to get to take a few spins in some of the better preped cars though cheer.gif
Randal
QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ May 26 2011, 08:37 AM) *

Well, I hope to have mine there but it really is one the beginning of the being built. Most of what I have to put on it won't even be at my house yet. So I will be AXing a mostly stock daily driver with a few minor mods done smile.gif

Hoping to get to take a few spins in some of the better preped cars though cheer.gif

Time to break out that passenger seat and see if it fits within the new cage. driving-girl.gif
J P Stein
I imagine they will use the outside loop. That is the most expedient & prolly the most fun. I'm looking forward to it.
jjackson
QUOTE(J P Stein @ May 27 2011, 09:58 AM) *

I imagine they will use the outside loop. That is the most expedient & prolly the most fun. I'm looking forward to it.

Holy crap-I just want to run it every way imaginable.JJackson
Randal
QUOTE(jjackson @ May 27 2011, 08:48 AM) *

QUOTE(J P Stein @ May 27 2011, 09:58 AM) *

Holy crap-I just want to run it every way imaginable.JJackson

You could sure burn up some fuel there.

Can't wait.
grantsfo
Wow! That is cool! Thats just up the road from my Dads place. I need to get up and check that out sometime.
grantsfo
Hey guys when is this event again? Date and time? What best time for spectator to show up?

My dad an original 914 ax guy from early 70s has expressed interest in going to the event to check things out. Any chance he can get a ride in a fast 914? He is a total gear head and has been into hot rods but still loves 914s. He lives in Grants Pass.
J P Stein
All day on 24 June.....figure 9-10 AM to start runs. I'm an early riser. I'll prolly be there by 7:30 to help set up. I'm sure a ride can be arranged.
grantsfo
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jun 19 2011, 05:32 PM) *

All day on 24 June.....figure 9-10 AM to start runs. I'm an early riser. I'll prolly be there by 7:30 to help set up. I'm sure a ride can be arranged.

Cool! Thanks JP! His name is Don. He will probably show up in his new toy, a black Solstice.
Britain Smith
All the Autocross details can be found here: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=129419&hl=
Randal
QUOTE(Britain Smith @ Jun 19 2011, 05:43 PM) *

All the Autocross details can be found here: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=129419&hl=

I'm heading up Wednesday and the car is working good. Got to pound it today at the Marina, wet to start so spent most of the course sideway.
grantsfo
QUOTE(Randal @ Jun 19 2011, 06:29 PM) *

I'm heading up Wednesday and the car is working good. Got to pound it today at the Marina, wet to start so spent most of the course sideway.

Told my dad to look for crazy fast yellow and silver 914 race cars. Have fun guys! I'm kicking myself for not having a 914 to play with right now, but I need to get this Z thing out of my system.
Randal
QUOTE(Randal @ Jun 19 2011, 06:29 PM) *

I'm up in Ashland now and if the weather unfolds like it did today then it will be cool when running the Autox. The PM will be likely be sunny.

DanT
So how did it go?
Who ran what times?
How badly did Brit spank everyone? biggrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(DanT @ Jun 24 2011, 04:38 PM) *

So how did it go?
Who ran what times?
How badly did Brit spank everyone? biggrin.gif

That track was great!

Brit and Randal were close all day, i think Randal might have been faster during the enduro while Brit got ahead during the AX portion.

Gary Chapman was a close 3rd and i was trying to keep up with him.

Unfortunately, i can't get all my power on the pavement. I got wheelspin coming out of pretty much every corner.

I see a LSD in my future ...
biggrin.gif
DanT
Glad to hear all of Randal's hard work and $$$ is finally paying off.
Will be interesting to see the actual results....and nice to hear that Gary is giving them hell in his street car...I am sure his fresh tires and Limited slip help a lot...
You just need a bigger budget Andy....and more track time happy11.gif
grantsfo
Talked to my Dad and he and his wife enjoyed watching 914s today. He said Randal broke tranny mount and didn't run while he was watching but he had a nice talk with him. He said clean red 914 6 was ripping around the corners. that must have been Gary! And what made me laugh is he said the Yellow 914 was really slow in the turns but was really fast in the straights! Lol!

Now he is talking about joining local club and autocrossing his new Solstice. cheer.gif
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Jun 24 2011, 09:33 PM) *

Now he is talking about joining local club and autocrossing his new Solstice. cheer.gif

The Soltice is pretty amazing for what it is. It does well in the class SCCA has it in. When they first came out I only liked them a little but after driving a few I really like them.

So what were the final results confused24.gif
J P Stein
I'm not sure about the results ever being printed & posted.....but...
Brit took the AX section of the event over Randal by a tenth.

Randal took the enduro section by a bunch of seconds....not sure who took 2nd.
DanT
Wow, pretty impressive that Randal got that close to Brit on the AX.
Guess 222 is starting to come together.

SirAndy
Looks like my GPS unit couldn't keep up with me. biggrin.gif

I got 132 acceleration events (Accel, braking and cornering) for the enduro but the GPS module put most of them in the same spot.
This may have been a signal strength problem with the GPS as i have seen this behavior before if you have a very weak signal.

Oh well, i still got some good acceleration data, biggest cornering value was 0.931 G and biggest braking was -1.749 G and biggest acceleration was 1.112 G ...

driving.gif
J P Stein
Randal's car felt damn good to me. I've been out of the game for over a year and it took me a while to get back into what ever groove I had....not much of one. I was about 4 seconds back of Randal....barely enough to push that car. I do love how a light weight NA car with some beans responds. Randal & Brit were in the low 51s....I was at a 55 flat. confused24.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jun 25 2011, 06:26 PM) *
I've been out of the game for over a year and it took me a while to get back into what ever groove I had....not much of one. I was about 4 seconds back of Randal....barely enough to push that car. I do love how a light weight NA car with some beans responds. Randal & Brit were in the low 51s....I was at a 55 flat. confused24.gif

Well, at least i beat the old man who hadn't raced a 914 in a year. Something to brag about, i guess ...
rolleyes.gif
Randal
Woo, just got home.

It was nice meeting Grant's Dad at the event who shared stories about "his" 914's which "disappeared" at some point. I got busy with car issues and didn't get to finish the conversation, but hopefully he'll be back at the Medford track again. He seemed pretty keen to get involved.

Anyway I did brake a engine mount on my last autox run, which was actually going quite well until it broke, then couldn't select the gears I needed. The sport mount rubber was completely ripped out of it's housing!

On an earlier run 222 was within .200 of Britain's winning time, so ended up second in that part of the event.

I got to say that JP did great for driving a new car with a seat that couldn't be adjusted. Also maybe the mount was already partially broken so he had trouble selecting gears as well. He did take over 7 seconds off his starting time in the morning, ending up running a 54 second (and change) run. Very impressive by any standard.

Oh and a big Thanks to Mark for borrowing a Sport Mount and getting it on 222, during the lunch break, so we were able to run the enduro, which is 5 complete laps on the outside of the course.

About as much fun as you can have in under four minutes. Just a great venue.

On the Enduro I started with very cold tires so had to take it easy at first, especially at turn 1 where you're hauling and a (high speed) mistake would be unpleasant. Ended up dropping a second a lap, until I got down to a 45 which everyone said was good.

I'll have to check Dave Kidderman's and Britain's times from last year to see how I did, but the car was working better than "ever" before and as the tires got hotter you could progressively attack the course. Had to use 3rd at three different places on the course and shifting, after the fix was smooth - really perfect.

Yea that was Gary ripping around the course.

They will post the times at some point so we can check the splits.

222 ended up at the front of the enduro, but not sure by how much.

All in all got 10 laps, half on the autox course and half on the enduro (some of which are the same), so learned a bunch. With hot tires you can really do some fast stuff in places where it doesn't look like you can go fast.

Lots of room for improvement IMHO.

DanT
Nice job Randal! Glad to see 222 coming together at last smile.gif

Impressive considering how little seat time you have had in the last couple of years and that 222 is really an all new car again!

Randal
QUOTE(DanT @ Jun 25 2011, 09:17 PM) *

Nice job Randal! Glad to see 222 coming together at last smile.gif

Impressive considering how little seat time you have had in the last couple of years and that 222 is really an all new car again!

Thanks Dan.

What I wish is that we could build a dual purpose track here like the one they have in Medford.

On Friday nights they open it to cars so you can go test whatever you want.

Interesting business model.

Randal
Oh and I forgot to mention that all the 914 World people up in Medford were just great.

What a great event. Well organized and so much fun.
J P Stein
Randal the car really felt good.....that's about the only input I gathered on it. It was good enough that I would have loved to get another few passes in it. I felt like shit after lunch so I was not ready to tackle a 5 lap session. The car was good, your driving was good.....what more can you ask for a day of AX?......well, thanks to Mark and friends the assembly woopsies were mooted.

I tried to keep Mr. Murphy at home but he came along and when he saw that parking lot full of 914s.......HOG HEAVEN. biggrin.gif
Randal
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 25 2011, 05:05 PM) *

Looks like my GPS unit couldn't keep up with me. biggrin.gif

I got 132 acceleration events (Accel, braking and cornering) for the enduro but the GPS module put most of them in the same spot.
This may have been a signal strength problem with the GPS as i have seen this behavior before if you have a very weak signal.

Oh well, i still got some good acceleration data, biggest cornering value was 0.931 G and biggest braking was -1.749 G and biggest acceleration was 1.112 G ...

driving.gif

You need a limit slip to keep those slicks on the ground.

I couldn't believe how much you were lifting your right front tire when entering the straight!
Randal
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jun 26 2011, 07:31 AM) *

Randal the car really felt good.....that's about the only input I gathered on it. It was good enough that I would have loved to get another few passes in it. I felt like shit after lunch so I was not ready to tackle a 5 lap session. The car was good, your driving was good.....what more can you ask for a day of AX?......well, thanks to Mark and friends the assembly woopsies were mooted.

I tried to keep Mr. Murphy at home but he came along and when he saw that parking lot full of 914s.......HOG HEAVEN. biggrin.gif

Yea, I'd say that 5 laps was fairly intense for every driver out there, still I would have liked to see you run it.

Glad to hear your impression of the car. Other than all the stuff we had to fix, everything went OK.

That reminds me I got to swap out all the snor (or however you spell it) washers both inboard and outboard.

We'll have to see when the next enduro is coming up. biggrin.gif
Chris Pincetich
CA and OR even at the shoot-out!? Will this reduce the trash talking??
We'll see confused24.gif
Nice work Randal, way to represent for the GGR region beerchug.gif
DanT
QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Jun 26 2011, 07:46 PM) *

CA and OR even at the shoot-out!? Will this reduce the trash talking??
We'll see confused24.gif
Nice work Randal, way to represent for the GGR region beerchug.gif

Randal did a great job this weekend, but he was representing LPR sad.gif biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
Of the cars with license plates that drove to the event, Dave and Gerry Hunt both beat me by a second. I was at 41 and very small change. Gerry Hunt I think had a 40 flat. 'Course, as long as were shooting the shit, they do have about 80hp on me and you could tell by the grunt they had coming out of corners. Everyone else was back of us but not by much!

That is the most fun I have had on an autocross course in quite some time and you guys in Southern Oregon are very lucky to have that venue...
J P Stein
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 26 2011, 08:54 PM) *

Of the cars with license plates that drove to the event, Dave and Gerry Hunt both beat me by a second.

Of all the guys over 65, with glasses, in a borrowed car, with a skinny ass & bird legs, I was first.gif
McMark
Schnorr, also known as Belleville washer.

I liked the 5 laps. But I wasn't working nearly as fast as most of you. I think I had 48.x on my last lap, so I had a little more time between corners. laugh.gif
Randal
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 26 2011, 09:23 PM) *

Schnorr, also known as Belleville washer.

I liked the 5 laps. But I wasn't working nearly as fast as most of you. I think I had 48.x on my last lap, so I had a little more time between corners. laugh.gif

Hey Mark - do you have a picture of that stock engine mount you were talking about? I'm still thinking that I might just change over to them, but would like to see what they look like first. Thanks.

FYI what bothers me about the sport mounts is that the steel sleeve inside the rubber donut is bigger than the diameter of the stock bolt, i.e., in order to fix this issue you'd need to make sleeves to fit inside the sport mount, so the stock bolt fits tight or drill out the bar, which isn't fun unless you like getting the car way off the ground.

grantsfo
QUOTE(Randal @ Jun 25 2011, 09:13 PM) *

Woo, just got home.

It was nice meeting Grant's Dad at the event who shared stories about "his" 914's which "disappeared" at some point. I got busy with car issues and didn't get to finish the conversation, but hopefully he'll be back at the Medford track again. He seemed pretty keen to get involved.

LOL! He loves razzing me for trading the 1.7 914 in on the newer 76 VW Scirroco. biggrin.gif But dang I drove the 914 for 2 years and it had been rear ended and wasnt quite right ever since. He only had one 914 and it was very well aged 1.7 with 170,000 miles on original motor and tranny when he gave it to me as a HS graduation present - great car but it was showing its miles. I found low mile Scirocco for my commute over highway 17. I thought it would be more reliable than the 914 and not leak as much water in winter commutes. It caught on fire on my way to work due to an electrical fire. LOL!

McMark
QUOTE(Randal @ Jun 27 2011, 09:55 AM) *

Hey Mark - do you have a picture of that stock engine mount you were talking about? I'm still thinking that I might just change over to them, but would like to see what they look like first. Thanks.

The pieces you need are in the center of this picture.

IPB Image
Randal
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 27 2011, 03:14 PM) *

QUOTE(Randal @ Jun 27 2011, 09:55 AM) *

The pieces you need are in the center of this picture.

IPB Image

I can't tell by looking, but I assume that plate has bolts on either end that slips up into the two holes in the frame housing and a center hole for the bolt from the cross member holding the engine. Right?

Save a couple of those for me Mark. That might be just the trick.

Borderline
Yeah Randal, those are shat you want. Get rid of the rubber so it shifts better.
grantsfo
Yeah it helps get rid of this too! Hill climbs do strange things to 914 shifting. After I put in more solid shift linkage it behaved much better.

http://youtu.be/Y34WgBiysrk

...ouch Dont worry Rob I rebuilt the tranny after that nastiness! happy11.gif
strawman
You guys forgot to mention that Brit spun the yellow car on his third (or was it his fourth?) lap in Turn 1 of the Enduro, but still finished very high in the standings. That car is a monster, despite the almost-corded tires...

I waved the green flag all day, and was continually impressed with the crazy, scalded-cat launches of Brits, Randall's, Gary's and Andy's cars. The uber-sticky tires and high-horsepower combination that those guys ran made for impressive action. Thanks for the show! beerchug.gif

I was jealous all day seeing the smiles on everyone's faces, while my car still sits on the skates in the garage awaiting final assembly. sad.gif I will definitely have my car ready for the next WCR!

Geoff
montoya 73 2.0
QUOTE(strawman @ Jun 29 2011, 10:40 PM) *

I was jealous all day seeing the smiles on everyone's faces, while my car still sits on the skates in the garage awaiting final assembly. sad.gif I will definitely have my car ready for the next WCR!

Geoff

Didn't you say this last year in Tahoe? shades.gif

BTW you made some kick ass Porter beer Geoff!
ConeDodger
QUOTE(strawman @ Jun 29 2011, 09:40 PM) *

You guys forgot to mention that Brit spun the yellow car on his third (or was it his fourth?) lap in Turn 1 of the Enduro, but still finished very high in the standings. That car is a monster, despite the almost-corded tires...

I waved the green flag all day, and was continually impressed with the crazy, scalded-cat launches of Brits, Randall's, Gary's and Andy's cars. The uber-sticky tires and high-horsepower combination that those guys ran made for impressive action. Thanks for the show! beerchug.gif

Geoff

No one forgot Geoff. Spins count too! Brit will be back for a rematch...
Randal
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jul 1 2011, 08:11 PM) *

QUOTE(strawman @ Jun 29 2011, 09:40 PM) *

Geoff

No one forgot Geoff. Spins count too! Brit will be back for a rematch...

How about the Fall Enduro?

And we'll get to practice on Friday PM and Saturday AM.

Bring a second set or tires!

Lots of competition from the hill climb folks as well.

I'm saving money for the trip up now.

Sure would be fun to have a few more 914's up there.

That track is an absolute blast.

I understand that you have to register early, as it fills up fast and is limited to 60 cars.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.