Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Weber Vs Dellorto?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Levi
I'm trying to decide which carbs to use on my 74 2.0L.
It now has duel Dellorto DRLA36's and my 73 1.7 parts car has duel Weber 40 IDF-19's
Does anyone have experience with these carbs?
which ones would give me the best drivability, performance,and fuel economy

Will the weber's bolt to the 2.0L Dellorto intake runners??
I needs to know.. biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif
seanery
I would pick the webers for a couple reasons:

1. Webers are everywhere, so parts should be easy
2. Dellortos are 36s? Webers are 40s.

BUT, if you have a stock cam, the smaller Dellortos may work better.

I dunno, now I'm cornfused confused24.gif
shoguneagle
Over the years I have developed a love for both of these carbs since they were the best for their era (back in the stone ages fuel injection was the pits; mechanical and not very adaptive for the cost).. I have run delordos and webers on alfa romeos, lotus, and porsche. Of the two I favor the Delortos since they have a three stage progression state per carb whereas the webers appear to have a two stage.

Tuning is about the same with the same difficulties; parts are available from Europe usually from the same sourcing. Parts can also be sourced from other type cars such as Lotus without any problems.

Performance if tuned right and maintained are about the same although I give preference to the Delortos. I have not had any problems with either carbs. When I run carbs I like to set the carb to the cams and porting thus matching everything top end.

Pricing could play an important part in your decision---thus what is available in the best possible condition and what it is tuned specifically for. Linkage, intakes etc usually match and can be used with whatever one you choose.

You asked for favorites: I place originality prime when I am redoing a car; thus, if the car came with webers originally, I would use webers. Not because they are any better or worse that Delortos, but because they were original equipment. Other than that I would consider either one depending configuration, price, condition, source, etc. Considering these elements, I would use the one I get the best value.

Another way to look at it is this way: the weber was developed first; the delorto came next making improvements such as the three stage; next came pmo making more improvements. It boils down at this stage to value and cost; webers and delortos cost about the same; this depends on what configuration you are using.

Hope this helps you out

Steve Hurt
Shoguneagle
tat2dphreak
I'd would go with the dells IF you can find the rebuid kit... buy 3-4 of them if you find it, they are hard to come by anymore...

if you have trouble finding it, use the webers!

sean, a dell 36 is actually about the same size as the weber 40, from what I've heard anyway...
Levi
Thats part of my problem, I don't know anything about the 2.0L so I don't know if the cam has ever been changed
I haven't got to the point that I'm ready to try to start the engine, I still have to empty the old stinky gas from the tank, change oil...bla..bla..bla.. I hoping it will run good enough to allow me to drive it through the summer.
Then MAYBE rebuild it this winter if it needs it.

I have been hearing that the Dellorto's are getting hard to get parts for so that go me wondering
Chris Julian
Hi,

For the first time in 10 years, 48IDA's are available new from Weber. This may influence your decision? Here's a link.

http://www.carbs.net/Weber/weberpartscarb.asp

How about a set of 4?

Chris
lapuwali
It's getting harder and harder to find parts for the Dells. Even Brad was complaining about it recently. Weber parts are still produced, and you're much more likely to find a rebuild kit in 10 years for them. btw, the IDF-19s are the "old" IDFs, so get the "old" rebuild kit. I have a pair of these, as well.

IDAs, so I'm told, aren't very good street carbs. A 48 on a street Type IV would be hard to tune and produce pretty poor drivability. You spend 90% of your time on the idle circuits on the street, so you're spending 90% of your time with the throttles mostly closed, anyway.
exc911ence
I agree. I had 48IDAs on my 2.4L T4 and the driveability was terrible. At full throttle though, woopee! I swapped a set of 44IDFs onto the engine and now it's a dream to drive even though top end charge is a little bit less.
Levi
Driveability is very important to me, I have no intention of racing or ax this car, I just need it to be driver friendly, reliable, FUN....bla bla bla...

Which carbs are the easyist to work on??
beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.