Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Electronic Points
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ematulac
Hi,

I want to adjust the dwell on my 2.0 and instead of points I found the black electronic module in the picture below. The dwell angle is reading about 55 degrees, which I think is a bit too high. It's a 2.0 with carbs / carb cam, and I'm not sure what dizzy is in there.

Does this module look familiar to anyone?
ematulac
Let me try that picture again ...
dmenche914
Looks like a Pertronix unit. Very good thing to have. do not worry about dwell, it does not apply to electronic points, they do not have a "dwell" adjustment. Just set the timing as per the Haynes manual for your engine, and you are good to go.

One very important thing about the electronic points, never crank the engine with the spark plug wires off, unless you remove the power to the coil (plus 12 wire to coil) else you will likely fry the Pertronix unit. This may happen if for instance you do a compression test, with all the plugs out. (Gee whiz, wounder how I found this out????) As long as you remove the power to the coil (and hence the "points") you will be ok.

Pertronix like most other electronic points are great, the timing does not drift as it does when old mechanical points wear. set it and forget it is how them work

good luck.

dave
TheCabinetmaker
Don't leave the key on with the engine off either. It will fry the pertronics. Carry a set of points and a condenser with you at all times. The pertronics either work or they don't
ematulac
Thanks for the info. That's the best news I've had all day! laugh.gif
KitCarlson
I see a wear area in the top center edge of the module, the rotor base is contacting the module. This may lead to timing errors, it adds friction to the mechanical advance. The OD of the rotor needs to be reduced. This is often the case, depending on the rotor design.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.