Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Welcome!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Events Forum > Past Event Planning Threads
seanery
Thanks for coming.

Doug, Mark & I had some discussions this weekend on the upcoming Fall Folliage Classic 2004.
Some ideas tossed around were:

1. need food
2. need organized time to check out the cars
3. we want a lot of cars to show
4. drive was about right length

We also discussed some ideas to get folks to show, we thought it would be awesome if we could get both Brads (Mayeur & Roberts) as well as Jake there. Mayeur said he intended to go and wanted to supply a door prize item. Brad mentioned to Mark earlier that he wanted to attend. I briefly mentioned to Jake in a previous thread about the FFC04.

I would like to see if we can get some sponsors who can possibly cover the costs associated with these 3 folks coming to the run.

Other stuff was discussed, but I'm getting sleepy (too much sun today-my feet are medium rare)

thanks again guys,
-sean
seanery
ok more random thoughts

Mark mentioned maybe starting early 8 or 9 am possibly

There is a Holiday Inn in Columbus right across the street (it appears) from where we met last year. If we start that early some of the long-travelled folks will probably want/need to spend the night Friday night. This hotel could be a decent place to meet.

I'm going to check to see if there are any Hampton Inn/Homewood Suites nearby. They're a client and I like their properties, and probably cheaper than a Holiday Inn, too.
seanery
There is a Hampton Inn at the Edinburgh at the Outlet Mall.
GaroldShaffer
First let me say thank you for the invite to join the planning of the FFC04.

About food, is your thought to drive for a bit, stop for food then carry on with the drive? Would doing a shine & show in the am with break for lunch then drive work? Too much for one day?

As for sponsors, we should talk with the SMOG guys and see who they contacted at Stoddards. There is also McDaniels in FT Wayne. I know over members of the club have offered to contribute door prizes and such.

If you guys would like to do a conference call I am sure I could set up one of our 800 conf bridges numbers, it helps when you work for a tele com company. wink.gif

- Garold
seanery
after a good night's sleep I've remembered more.

What about an entry fee? Doug & I were trying to figure out what was a good way to disperse the products that have been and will be donated. I would like to do some good for a local/regional charity. Another thought was an entry fee that includes 1 raffle ticket then you could buy more raffle tickets for $5 each.

As far as vendors go, I think it would be good for all of us (the other "Classic" events) if we don't tap out the same vendors every time. I'd hate for them to get burned out on sponsoring out stuff. Maybe I'm wrong on this one though.

I think MidAmerica (Tweeks) could be a good sponsor. The 914s had a great turnout this weekend and dominated the swap area.
GaroldShaffer
I like the idea of a entry fee. Pay the fee, get a raffle ticket, win a door prize. You could buy extra tickets for $1 each or 6 for $5? The money raised would go to a local charity.

As far as vendors go, I think it would be good for all of us (the other "Classic" events) if we don't tap out the same vendors every time. I'd hate for them to get burned out on sponsoring out stuff. Maybe I'm wrong on this one though.

I think MidAmerica (Tweeks) could be a good sponsor. The 914s had a great turnout this weekend and dominated the swap area.

agree.gif with you. MidAmerica would be a great sponsor, nice way to get the word out about their plans for their Fun Fest next year plus the new road course they plan to build.

Do we have a start & stop point yet for the drive? Are you thinking of meeting at the same place as before? As this event grows, we wouldn't need some sort of permit or something to use that lot would we?
seanery
That building may be occupied.

A hotel may be the best bet, especially if we start earlier in the am.
Doug Leggins
The more I think about it the more I like supporting some charity of choice.

I agree with potentially tapping the vendors too much to support several events. We do need to keep this in mind.

I'll check into a couple of potential meeting places that are easy access from I-65.

This is going to be fun!
Engman
We ned to think about the duration andd timing of the events. Will this be a one, two or three day event? Personally I am thinking two day. I also gotta check my schedules - there is a BIG (for me ) mower show sometime in that period. Hopefully thi is not that date!

Alzheimers - I agree with Sean.

What about an overall fee? Say $50 and it includes lunch, raffle ticket, fun run, t-shirt, donations etc. This needs to be reasonable as I do not see an autocross possibility yet.

We also need to tap D. Darling for a quiz.

We need trophies and to decide what to award for.

anyways those are my thoughs....

M
GaroldShaffer
We also need to tap D. Darling for a quiz.

agree.gif

Do we want to have awards? Sean is this the direction you want to go? I think awards are nice but for me I would rather have a nice shirt (tee shirt) and a goodie bag.

Is the plan to keep this to a one day event this year?
If we are going to do awards then I think this will be a long day. By the time everyone gets there, we all gab about our cars, vote, drive, eat, pass out awards and whatever else people might get a little tired of it, for one day. Just thinking out loud.

- Garold
seanery
personally, I'm not an award guy. I'd rather give everyone "goodies" than awards. That way everyone gets stuff, encouraging driver cars rather than high dollar rotisserie cars to show. Just kidding Doug.

I talked to one of our PCA board members last night who lives in Columbus I asked him about hotels. He said there is a new Sleep Inn there that he thought was nice. I am also considering the Hampton Inn in Edinburgh. It is 7 miles north of the SR46 exit we used last year. There is also a Holiday Inn off the same exit we used last year, but can't remember if it's nice. I may go down and scope out hotels.
GaroldShaffer
Maybe see if they have a meeting room we could use for a meet in great? We would have something setup to pass out shirts, goodie bags, name tags maybe even do the door prizes?
Engman
I think you have to have some awards - not that I am ever goingto win one - but to draw some of the people there. Some will not go unless they have something to show for it. Me - I dont really care about them - I want to see the cars.

A meeting room sounds great for the kick off. We need to put together a schedule of events to decide the duration and what when where.

Here is a possiblity

Fri
7:00 meet for dinner at xxx

Sat.

8:00 Breakfast meeting at x

9:30 check in at X (reive goodie bags etc

10:15 fun run

11:45 Lunch at xx.xx

12:45 show and shine / swap meet at dougs house (just kidding doug)

3:00 award presenatation

Just an example.

M
GaroldShaffer
Just seen that Mid America is a sponsor for the MWC (Midwest classic, SMOG guys) as well as HPH & Pelican. I know we don't want to tap the same vendors all the time, but I think we need to contact them and let them know about the FFC and our plans for a charity donation and such. Also maybe a rep for Mid America would like to attend and talk about their event(s) and new road course they are building.

Your thoughts?
seanery
I was hoping Mid America would sponsor at a level where other large sponsors weren't necessary.
I hate to hit them up right after they were announced for the MWC.
GaroldShaffer
So what kind of money for sponsoring are we looking at? or better yet, what kind of $$ would we need?
seanery
I dunno for sure....
-T-shirts are gonna run close to $600 if we do screen printed like the ones I put together for the WCC. Last year's were heat transfers and were only $200. Each donating vendor (for the giveaway) will get their logo on the shirt back.
The rest is just extra $ for whatever costs we might have.
GaroldShaffer
At the 9:14 breakfast today I asked what people would like to see at the FFC. There were only 7 of us there, but overall they all said that they like the idea of the fun run with a dinner and maybe a show & shine. One other thing was to see if we could doa couple of Parade Laps at IRP (Indianapolis Raceway Park). Do the fun run and end at IRP?

Anyway a cool idea I think, just don't know if it would be doable?
seanery
not doable for the parade laps at IRP.

IRP is not very busy with roadracing, they are owned by the NHRA and emphasize the drag strip more than the road course.

there may be an event at Putnam Park, but it's about an hour to an hour and a half from Nashville. Not worth it IMHO for parade laps. Also, typically clubs only have parade laps at lunchtime, we wouldn't be able to do it.

I'm not trying to sound negative, but I've gone over this in my head several times since last October.
GaroldShaffer
your not negative at all. Just thought I would ask. wavey.gif
Pnambic
For me, its reward enough to meet all the other 914 nuts out there and see what they've done to their rides. But maybe that's b/c I know I won't be winning any awards.... wink.gif

Ya think Doc n' Cy's might be interested in sponsoring? I like supporting local shops.
Are they still around? Their website doesn't seem to be working...
unsure.gif

I vote goodie bags with Rennshifters in 'em...haha, or maybe Mark's chassis stiffening kit! biggrin.gif

Hey Garold, how many of those radios do you think you can requisistion?
GaroldShaffer
Hey Garold, how many of those radios do you think you can requisistion?

I think I can get one more set. I will check tomorrow.
Pnambic
Warning....possibly stupid question:

The only time I've ever used one of these radios was at last year's Fall Foliage Run. Do different companies have the rights on using particular frequencies, or can you pick up a different set and tune in to the same frequency as yours? huh.gif
seanery
all the FRS radios can talk together and all the GMRS radios can talk to each other. The GMRS radios have all the FRS frequencies + more.
GaroldShaffer
Sean is correct!
GaroldShaffer
So whats our drop dead date to have everything done by?
seanery
Oct 22 biggrin.gif
GaroldShaffer
Just checking in. Any new news? What can I be working on?
seanery
For some reason I'm starting to get worried that the weekend of the 23rd may be too late (for the foliage)
Am I wrong?
Should we change the date to the previous week?
GaroldShaffer
What was the date last year? For me I really don't care about the "foliage", its nice and all, but to me this is more about the people and our cars. I vote for leaving the date as the 22nd.
seanery
it was the 18th last year.
GaroldShaffer
OK after attending the MWC we have some work to do.
Sponsors?

do we plan on goodie bags?

when do we need to get our event shirt order in so we have them in time? are we doing shirts?

drive route maped out?

hotel info / rooms blocked?

FFC info nailed on the BBS?

do we need a brief meeting some place where we can all get together work out details?
Doug Leggins
The timing should be good for the area color. the 3rd and 4th weeks in Oct are typically the peak color of the season. For the long distance views (area overlooks) the 4th week is usually better. Area color on the 23rd should be prime.

I'll try to be helpful with event planning next week. Maybe during the flight down to FL tomorrow and the looooong drive back Sat and Sun I can come up with some useful ideas for the event.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.