Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's in the trunk?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MadeRight
Friends,
I just got my 914 and cannot get the trunk open because it was rear ended. It does not seem that the wreck was severe enough to make the trunk stick, but I still cannot open it. I have stuck the key in and can turn to the left and back to center, but nothing else.

What can I do? Is there another way to get it open? Once I get it open, I will begin to bang ou the dents.

Thanks headbang.gif
Joe.D
The trunk release is a push-button. You have to pull it out, then turn the key to unlock it, and then push in to trigger the release. The unlocked setting pushes against a lever that releases the latch, and you can feel resistance as you push the button.

If that doesn't work, and there isn't too much stuff in the trunk, you can try using a very long extension on a 3/8 socket wrench to unbolt the latch. You'll have to do this by fishing the extension into the trunk from the engine compartment. The latch is held on with 2 bolts - they're 10 mm, if I recall correctly. It'll take some trial-and-error, but it can be done.

Good luck!
Joe
MadeRight
Can I detach the trunk hinges from within the engine compartment? I do not have the tools for unscrewing the latch from the engine compartment.

I push like hell on the button, even use a rubber mallet - all to no avail. Not sure what's wrong. Wish I had fiber optic scope to check it out!

headbang.gif
Joe.D
So the button is protruding from the trim ring that surrounds it?

I had one that was stuck part way in, so it never engaged the release. Try spraying a penetrating oil around the edge of the lock shaft.

I don't think you can get to the hinge bolts when the trunk is closed, plus if the torsion bars are connected, the hinges will be under a fair amount of tension.

Only other way I can think of is to break one tail light, and reach in from that hole, or drill a hole in the floor of the trunk, but you'll need to remove the muffler of you go that route.

I think it would be cheaper in the long run to buy a couple 3 ft socket extensions at Sears, or someplace similar...

Joe
SirAndy
i just did that 2 days ago smash.gif Andy
ein 6er
have you had the trunk open before? or was it wrecked when you got it? do you know if it was in fact locked? are you using the right key? black? just a thought.

good luck!
MattR
If its like most 914s that havent been restored, the trunk floor might be rusted through. Take a look underneath to see if maybe you can make a small hole in the sheet metal underneath the latch in a panel you might already have to replace and open the trunk that way.
MadeRight
Well, here's what I did. I tried SirAndy's trick with the coat hanger and it did not work. Not sure what I was suppossed to be hooking.

So, because the passenger tail light was crumpled and cracked here and there, I removed it from the outside with every imaginable tool.

Once I got it out, I reached in the trunk and still could not open it, so I stuck in a ratchet with a 10mm and unscrewed both bolts on the latch bracket and viola', open she did.

And there was very much rust - especially considering the very thorough paint job this car had several years ago (PO).

Here's a few pictures of the trunk when I opened it, how I began to straighten it out, and what it looks like now. I will start a new thread for advice on how to continue the trunk project.
First look (cannot tell that the passenger rear light is moved forward about 2-3 inches.)
IPB Image
How I moved the rear back out (there's still more to do)
IPB Image
Days end progress:
IPB Image

Any insights, please let me know.
SirAndy
QUOTE(MadeRight @ Jun 6 2004, 05:42 PM)
I tried SirAndy's trick with the coat hanger and it did not work. Not sure what I was suppossed to be hooking.

inside the part you unbolted, there's a little springloaded *hook* ...
you use the coathanger to catch it and move it. that will pop the hood open. wink.gif

glad you got in!
smilie_pokal.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.