Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: '74 2.0 L transplant to a '72 1.7
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mgphoto
Hello,
I found a GA code '74 2.0L with low miles to use in my '72 1.7. Are there any issue that need to be dealt with?
Straight swap?
Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike

914itis
QUOTE(mgphoto @ May 27 2011, 11:26 PM) *

Hello,
I found a GA code '74 2.0L with low miles to use in my '72 1.7. Are there any issue that need to be dealt with?
Straight swap?
Thanks,
Mike

are you using carbs or FI?
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(mgphoto @ May 27 2011, 08:26 PM) *

Hello,
Straight swap?
Thanks,
Mike

If you get the whole motor with the MPS and the ECU, it's a bolt in. You may want the heater blower bracket, too.

The Cap'n
KELTY360
Does the 2.0 include heat exchangers?
mgphoto
QUOTE(ppetion @ May 27 2011, 08:40 PM) *

QUOTE(mgphoto @ May 27 2011, 11:26 PM) *

Hello,
Straight swap?
Thanks,
Mike

are you using carbs or FI?

Stock FI
mgphoto
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ May 27 2011, 11:06 PM) *

Does the 2.0 include heat exchangers?

Using a pair of stainless 1.7's with a Monza muffler.
mgphoto
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 27 2011, 09:18 PM) *

QUOTE(mgphoto @ May 27 2011, 08:26 PM) *

Hello,
Straight swap?
Thanks,
Mike

If you get the whole motor with the MPS and the ECU, it's a bolt in. You may want the heater blower bracket, too.

The Cap'n

Yes the entire motor with MPS and ECU, includes heater blower and dual hose setup.
SLITS
with the 1.7 exhaust you will lose some HP.

You will need to change the motor mount brackets on the 2.0 to the 1.7 mount.

That's it.
mgphoto
QUOTE(SLITS @ May 28 2011, 06:15 AM) *

with the 1.7 exhaust you will lose some HP.

You will need to change the motor mount brackets on the 2.0 to the 1.7 mount.

That's it.

Got a spare ready to go!
Thanks
mgphoto
Thanks to those who responded.

I do have other questions, which exhaust manifold gasket do I use 039.256.251 or 021.256.251.A ?
I am assuming the 039 because the gasket fits in the head.
As I stated, I will be using my 1.7 stainless steel heat exchangers.

Also can I use the 1.7 deceleration valve on the 2.0 L ?

Thanks again,
Mike

SLITS
I thought the copper gaskets were the same, but then I didn't pay attention to the part number. Use the 039.

I would tend to believe the DeAccel valve is the same.

As you can tell, it has been many moons since I have owned a 1.7.
mgphoto
OK I have most of it figured out, except for the heater fan connections.
My 72 has the fan connections within the engine wiring harness.
The 74 2.0 harness does not contain the fan wires.
Could someone show me what the correct connections for the heater fan in a 74 model.
Thanks,
Mike
Jeffs9146
Didn't all the SS H/E all come spec sized to the 2.0L? Thats probably why you have the Manza exhaust. confused24.gif

I don't know this but I remember hearing something a few years back! beerchug.gif
mgphoto
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Jun 15 2011, 10:58 AM) *

Didn't all the SS H/E all come spec sized to the 2.0L? Thats probably why you have the Manza exhaust. confused24.gif

I don't know this but I remember hearing something a few years back! beerchug.gif

I am using the stock 1.7 muffler hanger, maybe my third bracket by now.

2.0L bracket is different, but you may be right about the inner diameter of the SS H/E's

I compared the exhaust manifold sealing rings and it looks like to 039 version has about 1 millimeter larger inner diameter than the 021 version.

I will be able to compare the H/E's when I swap the motor.
Dave_Darling
IIRC, the 72 is the odd one for the heater blower wiring. I believe the 74 has the wiring in the main wiring harness. You may wind up needing to add the power and ground wire for it.

--DD
mgphoto
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jun 15 2011, 01:34 PM) *

IIRC, the 72 is the odd one for the heater blower wiring. I believe the 74 has the wiring in the main wiring harness. You may wind up needing to add the power and ground wire for it.

--DD

Thanks Dave, could I just us the '72 harness with the '74 motor and plug in the fan that way?
Dave_Darling
I don't know if the engine harness from the 72 works on the 74. If so, then you're good.

--DD
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(mgphoto @ Jun 15 2011, 03:45 PM) *

--DD

Thanks Dave, could I just us the '72 harness with the '74 motor and plug in the fan that way?

I'd double-check with Bowlsby.
r_towle
QUOTE(mgphoto @ Jun 15 2011, 05:45 PM) *

--DD

The fan will work that way, but the FI has a different layout.

Rich
mgphoto
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 15 2011, 05:32 PM) *

QUOTE(mgphoto @ Jun 15 2011, 05:45 PM) *

--DD

The fan will work that way, but the FI has a different layout.

Rich

Hello Rich,
I intended to use the 2.0L FI wire harness, just need to repair some of the wires.

It is the engine wire harness that I have a question with.

Thanks,
Mike

mgphoto
OK,
I been looking over Bowlsby's wire harness diagrams, I can see the main difference between the '72 engine harness and the '74 engine harness is the heater fan connection.

The '72 harness includes the heater fan activation wires whereas the '74 does not!

Another difference between the two harnesses is the later has a "green" jumper wire between poles 10 and 11 of the harness relay board connector, which I believe is associated with the heater fan connections.

I need to see how the '74 heater fan wire is connected and routed.
Is there another wire harness for the fan? Where is it connected on the relay board?

Thanks again for your help,
Mike

Dave_Darling
The 74 fan is connected to the main wiring harness. If you look, the jumper on the 12-pin connector routes the fan relay output back to one of the pins in the front 14-pin connector. That pin is what powers the fan.

--DD
mgphoto
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jun 17 2011, 11:34 AM) *

The 74 fan is connected to the main wiring harness. If you look, the jumper on the 12-pin connector routes the fan relay output back to one of the pins in the front 14-pin connector. That pin is what powers the fan.

--DD

So if that is the case I would have to use the '72 engine wire harness because my chassis is a '72 and no connection from the main harness to the heater fan.

Is that correct???
mgphoto
OK confirmed with Jeff Bowlsby that the '72 engine ignition harness is the one to use, with my '72 chassis.

mgphoto
OK one more piece of the puzzle.

I am trying to work out the vacuum hose attachment.
I have been looking over the vacuum hose routing on the bowlsby.net 914 tech pages.

Again, my engine is a 2.0L '74 D-Jet and my chassis is a '72, that means the charcoal filter is located in the front trunk, whereas the late '74 and beyond have the filter in the engine compartment.

So at this point the hose routing I will be using is for a '73 and early '74.

With this, I find I need an item I can not locate in the parts book.

On the intake plenum, there are several connections, one of those has a rubber boot that connects to two vacuum lines.
The first vacuum line is to the PCV valve and the second vacuum line is to the de-acceleration valve.

On the 1.7 this item is 022 129 637 B (branch piece - air distributor) which is used in conjunction with 022 133 085 (metal tube, which the parts book indicates the 1.7 has one while others have two)

Does anyone know the part number of this item for the 2.0L D-Jet and is there somewhere I can purchase it?
Thanks again,
Mike

Dave_Darling
I think the guys at 914rubber make the "stacked elbow". (I think that's what you're referring to, at least.)

You can also fake up an equivalent from brass plumbing supplies. It won't be original, and you'll have to zip-tie it to something to keep it out of the way, but it should work.

--DD
mgphoto
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jun 23 2011, 03:38 PM) *

I think the guys at 914rubber make the "stacked elbow". (I think that's what you're referring to, at least.)

You can also fake up an equivalent from brass plumbing supplies. It won't be original, and you'll have to zip-tie it to something to keep it out of the way, but it should work.

--DD

Thanks DD,
I will check with 914rubber for a new one, but for the time being I was able to get one from Bruce Stone along with a few other parts I needed.
Waiting on the flywheel, first one I dropped off had 6 bad teeth, so I brought another over to the machine shop to lighten, balance and resurface.
Wire harnesses should get here soon from Jeff Bowlsby.
Installed the cooling flaps and the engine tin I just got back from having powder coated.

I do have another question, for the intake manifold gaskets, I removed all remnants of the old gasket, do I place the gaskets and just torque the manifold down? Or for the replacements, do I use a sealant?
mgphoto
QUOTE(mgphoto @ Jun 27 2011, 01:20 AM) *

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jun 23 2011, 03:38 PM) *

--DD

Thanks DD,
I will check with 914rubber for a new one, but for the time being I was able to get one from Bruce Stone along with a few other parts I needed.
Waiting on the flywheel, first one I dropped off had 6 bad teeth, so I brought another over to the machine shop to lighten, balance and resurface.
Wire harnesses should get here soon from Jeff Bowlsby.
Installed the cooling flaps and the engine tin I just got back from having powder coated.

I do have another question, for the intake manifold gaskets, I removed all remnants of the old gasket, do I place the gaskets and just torque the manifold down? Or for the replacements, do I use a sealant?

Anyone??
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.