Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need help removing caliper piston
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thomasotten
I am trying to rebuild a couple of 911 "M" front calipers to go with my 5-lug conversion. I was able to get the pistons from one to pop right out with compressed air. On the other one, I got one free, but I just can't get the other one to budge. I am holding the free piston in with a clamp, while forcing air into the caliper, but it just won't go. Been soaking it in WD-40. Any suggestions, or advice? Thanks.
TimT
try and work the offending piston... use a vise grip, or c-clamp and squeeze it back into the caliper.. then use the air to move it out further....
Aaron Cox
agree.gif , i had the same problem, just work it back and forth, break the corrosion from behind it. it'll happen

WARNING! : KEEP ALL FINGERS AND OBJECTS OF VALUE OUT OF THE CALIPER WHEN DOING THIS!!!!!
thomasotten
Aaron:

How are your painted ones holding up, and did you use Krylon to paint them like that guy on the Bird forum? Also, did you buy all new anodized pad retainers?
Aaron Cox
well... i used "ford-red" engine block paint from FLAPS. duplicolor high heat 500+ degree paint. used a whole can on 2 calipers! nice and thick. resists alcohol, brake fluid and all evil stuff like that... they seem to be holding up fine. and i bought the caliper hardware kit from pelican, looks cool, works great wink.gif
thomasotten
So, is there a stigma attached to painted calipers? I have seen the word "Ricer" used? What does this refer to?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(thomasotten @ Jun 5 2004, 08:23 PM)
So, is there a stigma attached to painted calipers? I have seen the word "Ricer" used? What does this refer to?

LOL.... laugh.gif

ricer meaning the honda "rice rocket" crowd. lol.

they are pseudo big reds like a 'PORSCHE', no rice here!

lemme know if you need any more details on my install/rebuild of the mighty M caliper
thomasotten
Well, I may end up painting these, because they are so old and dirty. I have been steel bruching them, and it comes off in like a rusty dust. But I sure as heck don't want to be called a "ricer" by any porsche guys. What can I expect when these are installed? Is it a big improvement over the stock 914 brakes? Did you have to replace your master cylinder as well? I just tried clamping down on that frozen piston, I guess I need some better c-clamps that I can really drive down, because it isn't budging, evengoing down.
Aaron Cox
yarg....too many questions mate, i should just have you call me wink.gif

another ricer comment and theres gonna be a mutiny! who cares what people say about your car! c'mon. look at some of the cars in the WCC threads, some have painted calipers.... oh no- theyre ricers now laugh.gif

i had a fellow member put my calipers in his solvent tank. that got them pretty clean. then i spent time scrubbing them shiny! then i sanded them to make them a good service for the paint. then i painted them.

master cylinder- mine had a 19mm...
decent but not huge improvement compared to the little'r 914 calipers. but! they are vented matey!

to get piston unstuck... put them all the way in. hold non stuck piston in with c clamp. hook up to car nad have someone on the brake pedal. should come out like a mofo! worst case scenario.... send them to me, and 80 bucks and ill rebuild and paint em for you!

captain cox
Aaron Cox
oh, and WHEN you do get them out, get some REALLY REALLLY fine sandpaper, and clean up the bores, i bet they are rusted on yours, if your pistons are pitted buy new ones ($$$). clean up the bores!!! very important, i believe pelican has a good article on rebuilding the calipers. very simple to use rebuild kit- very easy to do, took an hour to do both (im slow!)
thomasotten
Did you paint your rear calipers as well?
Aaron Cox
nope....
sleepdoc
Hi,

Why don't you hook it up to the brakeline, bleed a bit, then
use the force of the peddal to push the piston out while holding the moving side fixed with a clamp or piece of wood.

best Mark
thomasotten
Too "ricer" to paint the rear, Acox? By the way, I got it out by hooking it up to the car and pressing real hard on the brakes.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.