Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Won't Start!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jgiroux67
I have a 73 2.0L and a while ago I was driving aroud and my car suddenly died. What had happened was the fuse that opperates the fuel pump blew out. So i put a new fuse in and as soon as i turned on the car the fuse blew out and all the wires for the fuel pump were hot. Now when i turn on the ignition the fuel pump wont even turn on. What could be the problem and whats the solution?
smg914
There is a black, round relay in the circuit board/relay box on the left side of the engine compartment. One of those relays is for the fuel pump. I believe it's the second relay closest to the rear trunk. Swap it with the relay closest to the rear trunk. If this doesn't correct the problem then it could be the following......

If your fuel pump is still in it's orginal location at the bottom of the engine below the battery, pull the rubber boot off the electrical connector and make sure the two wires are making good connection and are not shorted.
ArtechnikA
the fuel pump fuse also operates the Aux Air Regulator - and its wire bundle is notorious for shorting out to the engine tin.

find your AAR, trace the wires back, find the bare spot where it's shorting against the tin, tape it, and then think about making more proper and permanent repairs to that wire run.

common problem.
brp914
Had the same problem in my '76 2.0. It was the Aux air regulator(itself, not the wiring to). Its in front of, and a little to the left of the throttle. I believe it has a single wire going to it. It has 2 air hoses - one to the air cleaner, the other to plenum. Try unplugging the wire and put a new fuse in the reg. panel and start the car. If the car starts, check the wiring as mentioned in previous message.

If your wiring is OK, you'll be thrilled to find these gizmos are NLA. But the 1.8 had a similar thing. I got one of those and voila. Well, not quite that easy - it looks and mounts different. You'll need to get a 2 prong connector (just like for the injectors) to hook it up. You can get those connectors from autoatlanta.com. Or maybe you would rather take your chances with a used one.
jgiroux67
I fixed it today. All i did was rewire some stuff and now its runnin
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.