Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear glass
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
qa1142
Well, I'm now proud owner of 1974 Olympic Blue 1.8! wub.gif clap56.gif I have just started the "sorting" process an found the rear glass is loose sad.gif . What is the lower seal look like? Is this just glued to glass or is the inside lip missing from the weather seal?
jim912928
it's glued. I just had mine put back in. There are some small spacers that are placed around it for the right position, from the outside there is a window/engine lid seal but this is just wedged between the two. Best thing to do is take the window totally out, clean all the old gunk away, and have it put back in....in my opinion.
Sparky
Best bet is to remove it, take it to your local auto glas shop. Have them polish and clean it and then let them re-install it. Not only will it look like new but it'll be sealed right and the shop ends up with the responsibility of the work. In other words you dont have to mumble "I did it" when someone looks at the glass and asks what the heck happened if it comes out bad.

Just my $.02

Mike D.
aircooledboy
Welcome to the club dood. There is nothing you might need to know about your teener that you can't find out here. aktion035.gif

While re-installing the back glass is pretty simple if you know the drill, if $50 isn't a big deal to ya, I'd take it to a glass shop. $50 is right about what it will cost. On the other hand, if you get out to Rockford, bring it here and I'll do it for you. smash.gif I think I may have the club title of "King of all glass related useless stuff" smilie_pokal.gif
grantsfo
QUOTE(qa1142 @ Jun 6 2004, 04:35 AM)
Well, I'm now proud owner of 1974 Olympic Blue 1.8!  :wub:  :clap: I have just started the "sorting" process an found the rear glass is loose  :( . What is the lower seal look like? Is this just glued to glass or is the inside lip missing from the weather seal?

Must be in the air! Rear glass in my 74 Olympic Blue 1.8 came loose yesterday too.
tod914
This should be of help.

here is some links -

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread....ght=rear+window

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread....ght=rear+window

I used butyl tape. The type with a foam core and sticky outside. Much better choice than the standard butyl. The window will stay seated with the foam core type. I also used this 2 stage prep i borrowed from a glass shop. 1st is a prep for the glass. 2nd is a black prep for the metal where the butyl will stick to. I highly suggest seeing if you can get that. Forget the name of it, sorry.

1. Remove targa top and engine lid(held on by 2 bolts underneath. Remember to mark the underside of the engine lid with tape or something so you can easily align it when reinstalling. To reinstall eng lid its easiest if the lid is in the most open possition. Otherwise there is too much torque and difficult to adjust.Remove outside weather seal along rear window.

2. Remove seats - there is a track rail underneath - push seat foward and then depress the locking pin underneath and pull out.
3. Remove center seat/storage bin
4. Remove coat hangers. Remove seat belts both upper by the targa bar and on the floor by the door.
4a. Remove the interior trim piece that the coat hangers were on.
5. Remove back bolster
a. remove screws on bottom
b. unscrew the engine lid release on the bolster by the drivers door striker
b. pull DOWN and out from the bottom - takes some manipulation because the brake is in the way.
Becarefull because the bolster is cardboard.

Now your ready to remove your glass - Refer to Daves method on that. seems like that would work best. The factory seals have a cord in them for ease of removal - youll see it in the old butyl tape - just pull on that once u get the window out.

Clean Clean Clean - both contact areas must be immaculate. touch up any areas that are bare metal.

Start at the top middle w/the tape and work around
and over lap. Have a friend help you with the window install. Make sure to use the spacers on the bottom - once the window is in place, press firmly along the edges to get a good seal.

Remember to finish off the bottom of the window with black electrical tape. Reinstall is reverse.

Using the towels behind the seats sounds like a great idea too. Let it sit for 24hrs or so.
qa1142
Thanks! You all ROCK! rocking nana.gif

I'll look at the pelican articles and think through it all. $50 sounds easy, but, I bought this to have something to "tinker" with.
SpecialK
QUOTE(qa1142 @ Jun 6 2004, 03:23 PM)
I bought this to have something to "tinker" with.

Well I'm sure everyone will agree, you picked the right car wink.gif
Joe Bob
"I" did it the easy way....wedges to open up the seam, silicon injected via a caulking gun, remove wedges.....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.