Exact Replica on Porsche Chassis & Drivetrain (One of a Kind! No Expense Spared). . .

Up for sale is my 1976 Porsche 914 Clean title in Hand . . .Fully converted into a 1974 Ferrari Dino 246 GTS Removable Targa Top. The lines on a Dino 246 are famously beautiful and this vehicle has similar low slung look, scoops, gills, and sits low just as the original. This is not a cheap recreation, but a Porsche chassis and drivetrain and this conversion has many genuine Ferrari parts with no expense spared. This car fools many car enthusiasts as the lines, gills and sits low just as the original.

You could buy one of the VW Beetle based Dino replicas but you won't get nearly as much car. This replica is truly mid-engine just like the real 246 Dino. It has a 5 speed Porsche transmission and original Porsche 914 air-cooled engine, with 77,000 original miles. Full disc brakes and it has a much nicer interior (no fiberglass dashboard or dune buggy seats). Much of the original steel body, including the door skins is under the fiberglass. The doors don't sag like in most kit cars. The Porsche 914 is famous for its handling. This car handles like it is on rails. It is a blast to drive.

The History on this conversion dates back to the early 1980's as a company called Eagle GT (www.EagleGT.com) , made fiberglass components for a Porsche 914 to replicate a Ferrari Dino. The replicas were so precise, Ferrari sued the company and put them out of business, only creating a small number of these recreations. Now, the Eagle GT's are extremely sought after and for a fraction of the price, you can have a Dino recreation on a Porsche drivetrain and chassis.

THE RECREATION PROCESS
I fell in love with this car nearly 4 years ago on ebay and purchased her for $10K+ with shipping from New Mexico. I decided to restore this car to the best of my ability to recreate a Dino inspired 246 GTS car. I first went through the mechanics, making sure the 5-speed transmission, engine, and dual weber carbs were running smooth. Over the last year, I recently replaced the alternator, battery, starter, painted the engine compartment Ferrari red to match exterior (over $5k). The Porsche suspension is amazing and handles as it should. I decided to leave the exhaust, as it had the original Ferrari Monza exhaust, which is now obsolete and looks extremely authentic with the Ferrari emblem and quad pipes.
We needed some new parts and purchased a donor Porsche 914 for new windows, targa top, certain lights from the vehicle, seats, etc. ($2800) and stripped this vehicle to complete the conversion.
Next we stripped the paint, did body work ($3k), Dupont Ferrari Rossa Corsa paint, new targa top and paint etc. (was over $5k and completed the tail end of last year). Then I ordered all the necessary genuine Dino 246 Ferrari parts needed. . .front and rear steel bumpers, side markers (fabricated to fit), rear lenses, all correct emblems, new shifter and knob, side windows, dino floor mats, chassis plate stamping, steering wheel, and the list goes on (well over $5k). Then we did custom electrical work, new wiring harness, etc (over $2k). All work was professionally done from mechanics to body and paint work. I also just replaced the 2 rear tires with the original thick white letters to match, which were on back order for the last few months ($500). Not to mention at least another ($3k+) in miscellaneous tuning, fabricating, etc. making this investment well into the $40K-50K+ range.

WHAT TO WORK ON: In 2nd gear, she sometimes slips a bit, but I've heard this is quite common for the 914, but after a while you get the hang of the shift. There's a small tear (approximately 1-2 inches on the driver seat, thought of having it sewed or fixed, but I figured to leave it as a driver, should be a $100 fix is my guess. There is no working AC on the car. Since the car sits very low and I'm located in the hills of San Francisco, the front bottom has a few scrapes, but you can only see if the car is lifted and does not affect the bumper or vehicle whatsoever, just wanted to simply disclose. The paint is in great condition overall, but there are a couple rock chips, this could be a quick fix by using touch up paint. Lastly, she needs a new left rear wheel spacer or 4th lug nut, but should be a $10 piece.
Overall this is an exceptional car. I've always wanted and loved the Dino 246, but did not want to spend the $150K+ price tag. This car looks the part for a fraction of the price. I hate to see her go, but unfortunately it's time to part with her. just recently smogged for CA buyers (though still needs to be inspected by DMV if registered within California)

Youtube Link shows the exterior, interior and engine compartment as follows: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqawTNwH7x0

BEST OFFER TAKES - I have 4 cars currently and need to unload this beauty. Make me an offer, but no low ballers please. Know that I've invested close to $50K in this project with no expense spared.
Call 415-373-2965 or email me above. If you'd like to personally view the vehicle it's over at "My Mechanic" on Bryant and 4th St. in San Francisco's SOMA. Thanks for the interest! :)

Keywords: FERRARI PORSCHE DINO GTS LAMBORGHINI ANTIQUE VINTAGE

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
View the full article