Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Autocross tracks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lmcchesney
i'm trying to find out how to make my own autocross tracks in empty parking lots for practice. First of all how do i make something to dispense the lime or chalk to make the lines in the road. or is there somewhere i could buy them as well?

Also, are there any popular patterns for a course, or are they usually just made to fit the shape of the lot?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(lmcchesney @ Jun 6 2004, 09:53 AM)
i'm trying to find out how to make my own autocross tracks in empty parking lots for practice.

Also, are there any popular patterns for a course, or are they usually just made to fit the shape of the lot?

presumably, these would be empty parking lots that you own ?

i believe Reno Region SCCA used a dispenser made for chalking the yard lines of football fields. as a result of its intended use, it was a sturdy unit, looked like it was priced commensurately.

they used flour rather than lime -- cheap, easy to get, safe to store, nonhazardous.

there are no patterns, they're different every time; learning an AX course is part of the skillset required to do well. there are, of course, standard elements (slalom, sweeper, Chicago box, chicane) that are used to provide different challenges. typically - lots of turning, with a few straights and braking zones.

we once did an AX in the middle of June that was *loosely* based on the shape of the Circuit Sarthe (24 Hrs of Le Mans) - so there are occasionally thematic influences.
Randal
FYI there are some good books available over the internet (gratus) on designing autox's. I have to dig through my files and post the location later today.

The caulker are also available on the net.

But the best way to practice is to attend events and use instructors, like what LRP, GGR or other groups offer. Check out the PCA website and see what they are offering in your State.
lapuwali
Those lines aren't used everywhere. In most of the AX clubs I ran with in the Midwest a decade ago, we didn't use them. Only the cones, with chalked boxes around the cones so they could be replaced in their correct positions (also used for scoring if the cone landed right-side up after a hit). If all you're doing is practice, no need for chalk at all, just the cones. You can use a pretty minimal amount of cones, too. Setting up a whole course by yourself takes awhile, and the fewer cones you use, the better. An easy way to do this is just mark out a series of gates, like a flat ski slalom, with very few, if any, cones in between.

Course design is something of an art, and finding new, interesting courses to fit the same lot is a fun challenge. There are oft-repeated elements, but using them is entirely up to the designer.
GaroldShaffer
Only the cones, with chalked boxes around the cones so they could be replaced in their correct positions (also used for scoring if the cone landed right-side up after a hit).

agree.gif yep that is all we use in our SCCA region. I always help setup the course, never done a layout before.

Shameless plug for the SCCA here - You do not need to be a member of the SCCA to run a AX with them. You will be charged like $5 more than members to run but that should be about it. I can only speak for my region but they are a great bunch of people that just want to go out a run their cars and have fun. If I wanted to (and IF the wife would let me) I could run every weekend with my region or others close by me. Check them out and have some fun. Shameless plug over.

- Garold #70 CSP
STL914
Regarding the SCCA, I checked into this several years ago here in St. Louis, and they offered a weekend training class, including classroom instruction and course time. They also offer a program for kids, not sure about age restrictions thou. Might be worth looking into. Do a web search for SCCA and see what they have.

Gerald, is this training class done in your region?
GaroldShaffer
We had a Evolution Driving school here last month. I couldn't attend, but those that did said it was great. I'm already on the list for next year. I know there are lots of Driving schools and such offered year round, just depends on the regions. Check out
http://scca.com for more info.

I'm a newbie to AXing. I have 8 runs under my belt, I have work the first national race at Gingerman back in April. The wealth knowledge of the SCCA members I have talked with is amazing. I don't know about other regions but mine is top notch. I still have a lot to learn but between them and you all here I will only get better with my AXing skills.

- Garold #70 CSP
Randal
You can find an excellant design document at this site:

http://home.houston.rr.com/rogerthereal/
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.