Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My new Avatar says it all....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joseph Mills
Well, after a little prodding from some supportive board members, I decided that I needed to experience the joy of dropping the engine in my 914. wacko.gif

Thanks Pnambic for the link to the pelican site engine-drop document. It has been extremely helpful. And thanks Toast, Sean, Curt & Craig for the push. clap56.gif

Here is what I accomplished today:

After getting the car to, ahem, assume the position, I either removed or disconnected the carbs & linkage, battery cable, fuel line, all electrical lines, muffler, speedo cable, clutch cable, shifting rod, grounding strap, starter wires, CV bolts.

Nothing left to remove now except the tranny & engine bolts. Piece-O-Cake!

Curt (vsg914), who has already dropped a few engines this year, has been kind enough to offer to help me with the actual drop and head removal.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed as to the condition of the head. ph34r.gif

A few pics:
Joseph Mills
carbs removed, etc.
Joseph Mills
another
TheCabinetmaker
Way to go Joseph. I got the car packed and ready to head out in the morning. Man ya got all the hard work done. That sucker will be outa there in 20 minutes smilie_pokal.gif
Joseph Mills
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Jun 6 2004, 06:14 PM)
Way to go Joseph. I got the car packed and ready to head out in the morning. Man ya got all the hard work done. That sucker will be outa there in 20 minutes smilie_pokal.gif

Sounds good Curt! Can you call me, I seem to not have your phone#. Mine is 405-615-9000.

Oh, just wanted to mention about todays activities - It Was Actually Fun! w00t.gif
seanery
great job joseph!

kinda fun, huh?

I hope I can just get mine back together without too many problems. wacko.gif
SirAndy
aehem ...
you need to move the jackstands!

you jacked it up on the engine cross bar which you have to unbolt to drop the motor.
move the jack stands to the round part of the rear control arm, that way the engine (including cross-bar) will be free to move down ...

smash.gif Andy
TheCabinetmaker
Andy, we're using the 4 wheel dolly method, so it's just fine. wink.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Jun 6 2004, 06:07 PM)
Andy, we're using the 4 wheel dolly method, so it's just fine. wink.gif

oh! unsure.gif

sorry, i have never done it the hard way ...
laugh.gif Andy
Joseph Mills
QUOTE(seanery @ Jun 6 2004, 06:49 PM)
great job joseph!

kinda fun, huh?

I hope I can just get mine back together without too many problems.  :wacko:

You got it Sean, it was kinda fun. I learned a few things about the car, and a few things about myself. And now, as the sun goes down, sipping a glass of merlot (I used to own a 911), it seems like it was a "lotta" fun....

Best of luck with your re-assembly, but I'm not sweating getting mine back together. I just put all the individual parts in baggies with a six digit numerical parts number. That way, any parts left over, have a six digit numerical parts number. wacko.gif
seanery
I'm not a big merlot fan, more of a cab man myself, but I found a good, cheap wine. I know, I know, but I hate breaking open $30 or higher bottles for no occasion. Black Opel Merlot/Cab. It's from Austrailia $6.50 bottle at Costco or $9 at the grocery store. It's very yummy! smile.gif
Joe Ricard
Mine finally went back in today. 1.7L early motor. CV's done. made new engine mount plates all new hardware. just have to hook up FI and vaccum and exhaust. Will relocate battery to rear trunk, and a few odds and ends.

It's amazing how much room is in a garage when thigs start going BACK IN THE CAR. rolleyes.gif
hi ho silber
VSG914,
Can you please explain your 4 wheel dolly method for removing an engine?

I gather from your response to SirAndy you leave the cross bar in and remove the motor mounts.

I use a 4 wheel funiture dolly and long threaded rods to lower the motor on to it but in my case the threaded rod is bolted through the cross bar

Hi, Craig how's the 6?
Joseph Mills
QUOTE(seanery @ Jun 6 2004, 09:17 PM)
I'm not a big merlot fan, more of a cab man myself, but I found a good, cheap wine. I know, I know, but I hate breaking open $30 or higher bottles for no occasion. Black Opel Merlot/Cab. It's from Austrailia $6.50 bottle at Costco or $9 at the grocery store. It's very yummy!  :)

Thanks for the black opel tip. I'll try it... several times. smile.gif

Our house wine is a french red table wine... L'Epayrie`. It's 11.59 for a 1.5 liter bottle. It's a nice modest wine. I'm cheap too. laugh.gif

Anything over 15 bucks a bottle is wasted on me... unless I can drink at least two of them. laugh.gif

Hey, this could be a good thread. What kind of wine do all you cheapo 914 owners drink? Wait, do we drink wine?
Rusty
Take this crap over to the 911 board, or I'll have to close this thread. wink.gif

-Rusty smoke.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Dave, go here. It explains it all better than I could. It's really pretty easy.

engine drop
hi ho silber
Thanks,
May try that next time!
TheCabinetmaker
It's a lot safer for first timers, but I may just try to drop it with a floor jack this time. Got several r&r's under my belt, and plenty of hands this time. Next time, I'm gonna spend 75 bucks on an ATV/mortorcycle jack
Joe Ricard
Furniture dolly, 2 jacks, takes 10 minutes to lower. Little longer to raise because of lining everything up.
Wine???? rolleyes.gif Uh 12oz. blue can with pretty mountain pictures. beer.gif

I love this one slap.gif
Joseph Mills
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Jun 7 2004, 05:26 AM)
Take this crap over to the 911 board, or I'll have to close this thread.  ;)

-Rusty  :toke:

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
maf914
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Jun 7 2004, 03:26 AM)
Take this crap over to the 911 board, or I'll have to close this thread. wink.gif

-Rusty smoke.gif

Hey Rusty, I picked up some killer Rocquefort (blue cheese) recently. This stuff is so smooth and rich. Man, its addictive. It should be for $20 a pound! Plus it goes great with a nice glass of vino!

Yeah, I said it. Wine and cheese! laugh.gif

Mike
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.