Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The tail of the "see-through" trunk
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MadeRight
Okay, I get my 914 finally yesterday which had had been rear-ended over a year ago, perhaps even two years ago. I finally get the trunk open (which had not/could not be opened since the accident) and I find that the side of the trunk that had been rear-ended is rusted through and that rust is forming throughout the trunck.

So, the question is, can good body shops repair the big holes, and can anything be done to stop future rust?

This car had a very thorough paint job several years ago and is otherwise in very nice shape.

Here's a pic:
IPB Image
SirAndy
replace the whole crappola!

here's what i did:

1) cut out the rear portion by drilling out the spotwelds around the cross beam that supports the tranny mounts.
then drill out the spotwelds on the back along the seam between the rear clip and the fenders.
voila!
IPB Image

2) get a donor rear clip that is rust free.
IPB Image

3) weld it back in using the original spot weld holes.
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

4) put seam-sealer over the seams, smooth it out and get it painted!
IPB Image
IPB Image

piece of cake.
smash.gif Andy
MadeRight
Uhhh........ that looks a little harder than I have the funds and tools to get into. Is there any other way? Can I weld in just the areas with the holes? Then maybe reinforce the whole kit and kaboodle?

Thanks
Eric_Shea
Or... the piece you need (rear trunk 1/2) is readily available from Restoration Design. I installed one in a day.

Cut out the old one.
Get busy with the grinder.
Put in the new one.
Get busy with the welder.

Nice clear pics Andy! beer.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(MadeRight @ Jun 6 2004, 07:58 PM)
that looks a little harder than I have the funds and tools to get into.

the only thing that cost me anything was the paint that went on later.
you have to do some welding anyways welder.gif so why not get a complete clip that is NOT rusted and NOT bent ???

confused24.gif Andy
Jenny
I recognize that shop floor. Oooh Palo Alto shop, how we miss you.... sad.gif

Jen
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.