Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Torsion bars
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
si2t3m
Ok you can laught...

Can't figure out Left from Right!!!

They should change this for Passenger and Driver.

So is left the drivers side (like when sitting in the car) or is left the passengers side (like when looking at the car from the front).

MDB2.gif

Marc-André
Zeke
Left is driver's side on all applications.
si2t3m
Thanks!

I'll try to remember it from now.

I'll stop writing P & D on my winter tires!

Marc-André
jonwatts
Dummer question. Why does it matter? Are the torsion bars pre-stressed in a certain direction? Does this apply to new T-bars as well as used ones?

Function #48 of this BBS: Brings people who think they know it all back down to earth.
airsix
QUOTE(si2t3m @ Apr 18 2003, 11:20 AM)
Thanks!

I'll try to remember it from now.

Marc-André

Just remember that it's always "The car's left" or "The car's right". When someone writes instructions they don't know where YOU are going to be standing when you read them. But the car's right and the car's left will be the same regardless of whether you are in back, in front, on top, or bass ackwards underneath. wink.gif

-Ben M.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(airsix @ Apr 18 2003, 11:57 AM)
QUOTE(si2t3m @ Apr 18 2003, 11:20 AM)

Marc-André

Just remember that it's always "The car's left" or "The car's right". When someone writes instructions they don't know where YOU are going to be standing
-Ben M.

besides which, remembering by 'driver' and 'passenger' is just a recipe for disaster if you get into a right-hand drive car ...
brant
The torsion bars aren't pre-stressed. (at least as far as I know)...

but they become stressed-set from twisting one way in use. I don't think for a brand new pair, it matters which is where... but if you ever take them out you are supposed to install them only in the same position as they were "broke in"

brant
Zeke
A few months ago on Pelican 911, it was decided that the left hand was slightly higher rated for the driver's weight being a constant while the P side varied. I don't know. But I have read that new aftermarket bars are equal. I haven't heard about reinstalling aftermarket bars in the same location.

BTW, IIRC, it was not decided which direction was correct for the stamping, forward or aft. This will have to be noted if you are to keep the rotation of stress the same as with the new bars.
brant
Its always been my understanding that you could install an aftermarket (new) bar with the stamping either way... as long as you made sure you replace it in the same orientation if its ever pulled....

When I've bought used bars in the past, I always asked the owner to indicate the direction they had been installed.

I don't think it matters if the stamping is forward/back, as long as you follow the same direction it was broke in.

I've always just installed new bars R/L with the stamping forward.

brant
anthony
I don't think it matters if the stamping is forward/back, as long as you follow the same direction it was broke in.

It seems that if you respect the L/R designation, it shouldn't matter whether the stamp is installed in the front or the rear because either way the bar is still twisting in the same direction. Am I visualizing that correctly?
airsix
QUOTE(anthony @ Apr 18 2003, 02:37 PM)

It seems that if you respect the L/R designation, it shouldn't matter whether the stamp is installed in the front or the rear because either way the bar is still twisting in the same direction. Am I visualizing that correctly?

Yes, you are visualizing correctly.

-Ben M.

ps - I put them in with the stamping at the rear...so you can SEE it.
mskala
QUOTE(Zeke @ Apr 18 2003, 04:25 PM)
A few months ago on Pelican 911, it was decided that the left hand was slightly higher rated for the driver's weight being a constant while the P side varied.

lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif
I bet that debate has as much serious information as the classic 'cold glass flows
cause old windows are thicker at the bottom' argument.
Mark S.
'70 914-6
Zeke
QUOTE(airsix @ Apr 18 2003, 02:54 PM)
QUOTE(anthony @ Apr 18 2003, 02:37 PM)

Yes, you are visualizing correctly.

-Ben M.

ps - I put them in with the stamping at the rear...so you can SEE it.

Thank you for that. I realize now that the rotation is the same as long as the side is remembered. My mistake.
When I've bought used bars in the past, I always asked the owner to indicate the direction they had been installed.

So left is left and right is right, stick 'em in. Takes a little of the fear out of buying used bars as long as you know the side it came out of.
I bet that debate has as much serious information as the classic 'cold glass flows

There are some pretty knowledgeable hombres over there. If you think its a hollow (pun intended) argument, bring it up over there and then try your statement. I'll watch from here. finger.gif
mskala
QUOTE(Zeke @ Apr 18 2003, 08:43 PM)

There are some pretty knowledgeable hombres over there. If you think its a hollow (pun intended) argument, bring it up over there and then try your statement. I'll watch from here.

Would like to see that, but can't find the thread.
Mark S.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.