Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: V8 Conversion Alternator
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mike T
I just installed the alternator on my conversion and was forced to space out the mounting bracket 1/2" to get the pulleys to line up. I'm using the Desert Hybrids balancer and mount which look similar to old RSH design. I've looked at plenty of pics and can't tell if anyone else used spacers. If the pulley on the alternator stuck out 1/2" more it would work. The alternator I'm using is from a 1984 Chevy truck w/V8 engine.

Is there a specific unit that I should be using?

Mike T
skline
I am using the one wire alternator but any should work. When you installed the harmonic balancer, did you use the spacer that does behind it? There is a spacer to put behind the balancer because the HB is from a Chevy 6 cylinder engine. If you put the motor together, you would remember it.
Mike T
Yes, the spacer is in place and balancer fully seated. The surface the mount bolts to is clean and true and the mount itself looks correctly made. The pullys are now aligned as close as I can measure. Not sure why I need to use shims but if the design had any chance of working at all the spacers/shims shouldn't have any effect on it.

I still haven't heard from Desert Hyrids on the matter but he always answers my emails.

Thank you for the assist.

Mike T
dakotaewing
Is it possible to move the alternator to bolt on the other side of the bracket?
This is just a guess based on looking at your photo...
Thom
Mike T
I got a response from Desert Hybrids who I got the parts from. He confirmed that shimming would be neccesary to align the pulleys. I suspected as much but wanted to confirm with anyone who had experience with this particular design.

Thank you for your replies and help.

Mike T
smrz914
looks like you need a shorter belt on that too. not to mych adjustment left it seems.
Mike T
Actually that pic is from Desert Hybrids websight. I have about 1" of slot left using DH's balancer, mount and belt.

I'm still nervous about the pivot bolt only being supported at the mount end though. I fully expect to sling the belt the 1st time I hit 6K...

Mike T
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.