Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sad news: Crash and loss of young 914 driver.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
c12croft

Reprinted from thedailyreview.com
Teen killed in Sullivan County crash
BY ERIC HRIN (Staff Writer)Published: May 29, 2011

Review File Photo Curtis H. Eberlin
The Sullivan County School District is mourning the tragic loss of a senior.

State police at Laporte said Curtis H. Eberlin, 18, of Nordmont Road, Muncy Valley, was killed in a fatal crash at 7:47 p.m. May 27 at 3500 Nordmont Rd., Davidson Township, Sullivan County.

He was an integral part of the high school soccer team for the last four years, Sullivan County High School Principal Craig Skaluba said.

According to police, Eberlin was driving a blue 1972 Porsche 914 and the crash occurred as he was traveling east on Nordmont Road. Police said Eberlin lost control of his vehicle on a curve, causing it to leave the north edge of the road and strike a tree on the driver's side, causing major damage to the vehicle, police said. Police said Eberlin sustained fatal injuries at the scene and was wearing a seatbelt.

Skaluba said the administration and grief counselors were at the school on Saturday to ease the students' grief. He said about seven students showed up.

More counseling will take place Tuesday and the students have a phone number to call for assistance in dealing with the loss, he added.

"We're trying to focus on the health, safety and welfare of all the kids and move forward," he said. "We're trying to go from mourning his loss to celebrating his life."

Eberlin was a senior getting ready to graduate on June 3. In addition, he was captain of the boys varsity soccer team, and was on his fourth year on the soccer team. Throughout his youth, he played with the

American Youth Soccer Organization. Also, he was a member of the High School History Club and participated this year in Yearbook and varsity baseball, Skaluba said.

Recently, Eberlin was recognized in an assembly for his teamwork in helping to successfully complete Volume 48 of The Highlander, the school's yearbook, Skaluba said. Eberlin was also honored recently at the spring sports banquet for earning a varsity letter as a starter on the boys varsity baseball team, he said.

"Basically, he was well liked and respected by the students and the staff," he said. "He always had a smile on his face and was a good kid and a joy to be around." He had a fun, good-spirited nature, Skaluba

said.

The school district is discussing options to honor Eberlin at graduation at 7 p.m. on Friday, June 3 at the high school.

Eric Hrin can be reached at (570) 297-5251; or e-mail: reviewtroy@thedailyreview.com.

jsayre914
sad.gif Wow, that is a terrible story....
speed metal army
sad.gif sad.gif Very sad. sad.gif
Black22
sad.gif
ejm
Very sad news. I remember Curtis as a young boy. His dad is a long time 914 owner and would bring the entire family to events in the Northeast.
jzdu
Sad
rick 918-S
The article doesn't say whether speed, road conditions or mechanical issues may have been the cause. They usually mention if they think speed was a contributing factor.

Sad for a young life and a family with hopes and dreams for a future.
'73-914kid
Wow... I am in absolute shock. This hits absolutely too close to home. Similarly, I am a senior in highschool, and am graduating on June 8th. I must say, that also using my 914 as a daily driver, it kind of makes me question the safety of it all, which is not often something that ever really goes through my mind..

I would be interested to hear the cause. I personally have overcooked a turn on the street, and looking back on it later the same day, you think about how stupid it was to do that.. While I'm sure he was a responsible driver, I fear that it was driver error that allowed the car to lose control.

I cannot imagine the amount of sadness and pain that family and school must now endure because of his death. Now instead of his extended family coming to watch his graduation, they must come to see his funeral. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and his school.
jt914-6
Sorry to hear about the loss of someone so young. It reminds me of a guy not far from where I live. He left a bar, and most likely had been drinking in his converted 914-6, lost control in a curve and hit a telephone pole pass. side and was killed instantly. Every time I go by where it happened I think about him though I didn't know him.
stewteral

To ALL:

This is why it is SO IMPORTANT to take our young drivers through a driving school.

I was lucky to survive my own driving ignorance at that age, but it was dumb luck that saved me from a couple incidents. After taking a couple racing schools and getting 0n-track experience, I realized how ignorant I had been.

We all know that young drivers, especially males, have a sense of immortality but it is vital that they be taught that they CAN PERISH. Since Humans life is experiential, I think a trip to the morgue to view a dead young driver might get their attention.

Then comes driving school to learn the limits of adhesion, the TRACTION CIRCLE and late apex lines to cornering when on the street.

In addition, I would recommend a contract with those eager and aggressive young drivers where they will get time on a REAL race track if they keep their cool on the street.

While my approach may seem extreme to some, we want our young ones to survive and learn skills to keep them alive on public roadways since it IS a life-and-death-survival situation every day.

Terry
pilothyer
This is indeed the saddest news I have heard in a very long time. I feel for you my brother, as I myself have a son who is approaching his early driving years. Know this, any car no matter which or what kind, can and will be a potential risk for young drivers. May The God Of All Creation bring you and yours peace in this time of great loss. May The Spirit Of God assure you that you will see your precious son again and there will be no more sorrow or tears. My prayers go up for you and your's at this time.
76-914
QUOTE('73-914kid @ May 29 2011, 08:37 PM) *

Wow... I am in absolute shock. This hits absolutely too close to home. Similarly, I am a senior in highschool, and am graduating on June 8th. I must say, that also using my 914 as a daily driver, it kind of makes me question the safety of it all, which is not often something that ever really goes through my mind..

I would be interested to hear the cause. I personally have overcooked a turn on the street, and looking back on it later the same day, you think about how stupid it was to do that.. While I'm sure he was a responsible driver, I fear that it was driver error that allowed the car to lose control.

I cannot imagine the amount of sadness and pain that family and school must now endure because of his death. Now instead of his extended family coming to watch his graduation, they must come to see his funeral. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and his school.

I was thinking of you as I read this, Ethan. Be careful.
stewteral
QUOTE('73-914kid @ May 29 2011, 08:37 PM) *

'73-914kid,

I'm impressed with your very mature appraisal of fast street driving. Like you, I also had those "moments-after" when I said "GEEZ, I got lucky" ....that was before I spent many years running on-track events.

As I have just posted, I think it is very important for you to attend a RACING Driving School! First, you'll love it! Second, you will that the opportunity to run your car on the limits in a controlled environment to learn where the limits are, the mistakes that get you in trouble and how to survive them. Third, hopefully, you can "get your fix" on-track and can drive slower and more safely on public streets.

I would suggest participating in some Time Trial events with such groups as SpeedTrialUSA.com or ExtremeSpeedTrackEvents.com that run SoCal tracks.
For SpeedTrialUSA, the driver's school is no extra charge and as good as any SCCA school. They run Willow Springs and Buttonwillow tracks and are low cost/low pressure ways to get on-track and learn.

I run Streets of Willow Springs with my 914V8 and would love to have you come out and play with me and a few other 914s. If I could be of any help in attending an event, please let me know.

Best,
Terry

'73-914kid
I am a huge proponent of driving schools for new drivers. Driver's licesne testing and permit testing have nothing to do with driving scenarios, only if you can stop, turn, and go.

I can honestly say that the knowledge I learned in 3 autocrosses, have saved my butt at least once in a messy situation.
PeeGreen 914
sad.gif
Dirty Evo
terribly sad. Just kind of flashed me back 20+ years to when my parents got me my 914 for high school graduation back in 89. My mom always had sports cars or muscle cars and my dad was into hot rods when he was young... so sporty car is just kind of something natural to me.. but I remember so well my mom sitting down with me and saying "please, please just be careful. I worry about you so much in a little sports car. I want you to enjoy it but I don't want anything bad to happen to you, please be careful"... it REALLY stuck with me. And then I also think about some really stupid driving moments I have had , where only luck (not skill) allowed me to see another day.. really makes me stop and think. feel so terrible for his family and friends... his parents. I just cant even imagine....
carr914
Very Sad, as it seemed he was a Good Kid with a Bright Future

R.I.P.
rfuerst911sc
Just terrible news I hope for the best for his family and friends.
ArtechnikA
nilrebe was a fixture on the 914 Rennlist for a long time. The last post I see was end of 2006 which I think I was about the time I bailed from the list due to persistent petty bickering.

There was a reference in that thread to Sullivan County, PA.

Sounds like the same family, in which case they're one of our own, even if they never signed up to either 914 World Club.

Does someone here have a personal contact? We need to do something...
914 shifter
very sad my condolences. i would like to add that a recent DE track day was a real eye opener for me.
Mr.242
SO very sad.....I can't help but think what this has done to his family. It sounds as if this kid was living the life he was suppose to live. Maybe just some bad choices while driving...... like many of us have made and walked away from.

God rest his soul and please be with those who loved him so much. I am sickened by the news, can only imagine those closest to him.

R.I.P
914.SBC
RIP my friend and prayers to the family.
'73-914kid
Okay, well, since I truly do believe that this hits way too close for comfort for me, I feel that maybe as a community it would wise to make a gesture of somesort towards Curtis' family. Maybe a condolences card from the site or something like that. I am working on getting contact information (address) for the family, so that we may send a card.

I will gladly make a card up to send to the family, if people are willing to add messages to it. If anyone wants to help, send me a PM with a message to the family, and I will incorporate it into a card to send to them. I truly do feel like if there was ever a reason to reach out to a fellow 914 person, now is that time. -Ethan
sixnotfour
Tragedy for sure . RIP.

jcambo7
sad.gif
Amy
Very sad to hear about this, our thoughts and prayers will be with his family.
ArtechnikA
I found an old 914 RennList posting - it's definitely the same guy. Tom was a valuable member of the 914 RennList community.

Tom Eberlin wife Bonnie, children Stevie married now to Jamie McCarty,
son's Matthew and Curtis. A couple of 914's a 911SC a 924 and lots of
projects.

I've already PM'd my message to '73-914kid and encourage you all to take advantage of a group member stepping up to take the lead on this for us.

If there's anything I, personally, can do to help a community member (Tom and his family) let me know.
charliew
So sad for the family. This happens way to often to young people. I know for sure me and both my son's have beeen very lucky in our accidents. Each of us could easily have been killed as easily as we survived. I do know I didn't set a good example of driving with them in the car when they were young, they both saw the maximum speed of the vehicle I was driving, I think about this a lot even though they are both adults now. My mother always told my wife to never ride a motorcycle with me. I hate it that some people never get a second chance because kids surely need more than one chance at mistakes.
dion9146
This is way too close to home for me. last year, our neighbor's 20 year old Son was killed when he was racing a friend on a back country road. Wrapped his Dad's Lexus around a tree after cresting an off-camber curve at high speed. The worse thing was, he was an accomplished kart racer with a bedroom full of trophies. He should have known better, but he was also living his life as an indestructible 20 year old. I know, I used to mountain bike with him!

It's been really hard on all of us because we were all close to him.

My heart goes out to this kid's family. RIP
EdwardBlume
Sad for the family. Sad for everyone. No man and no car is indestructible. The 914 is fast, fun, and quirky, but you have to respect driving one, like a motorcycle.

We've ALL survived dumb driving on the street, and things like this remind us not to be so dumb.

Best wishes to his family and all who know him.
Ductech
QUOTE(RobW @ Jun 2 2011, 06:34 AM) *

Sad for the family. Sad for everyone. No man and no car is indestructible. The 914 is fast, fun, and quirky, but you have to respect driving one, like a motorcycle.

We've ALL survived dumb driving on the street, and things like this remind us not to be so dumb.

Best wishes to his family and all who know him.

It's always awful to lose a fellow gear head, teener or not.. I agree with the respecting of said rusty narp. I bought mine to keep me out of trouble after having a kid and not being able to crash motorcycles every once and awhile anymore. Turns out the damn 914 is so low slung and fast and quirky I end up driving like I'm riding a bike. With a big enough motor these little things start getting up there in the power to weight ratio game.

Any progress on a group card?
914-300Hemi
Very Sad sad.gif
Drums66
......Bummer,bummer.....God Bless!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.