Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: fuel pump problems
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
johnnyfast
I have 3 problems that i need help with plz i have a 74 Porsche 914 1.8

1. the fuel pump will turn on as soon as i turn the key and it wont stop. is that normal? if not then how long is it suppose to stay on ? and how can fix it

2. My turn signals stay on after i turn the car off unless i return the lever to the middle position. is that normal?

3. the rpms are low to the point that sometimes it will turn off. how can i adjust?

thanks
johnny
SirAndy
QUOTE(johnnyfast @ May 30 2011, 01:00 AM) *

1. the fuel pump will turn on as soon as i turn the key and it wont stop. is that normal? if not then how long is it suppose to stay on ? and how can fix it

2. My turn signals stay on after i turn the car off unless i return the lever to the middle position. is that normal?

3. the rpms are low to the point that sometimes it will turn off. how can i adjust?

welcome.png

1. Depends on what you're running. Stock L-Jet FI? Carbs? Any modification we should know about?

2. Yes. It's a feature, not a bug. Most all European cars behave the same way, it's a "parking light" that you control with your turn signal lever.

3. Too many possibilities to list here. We need more info. When was the last time the valves were adjusted? Stock engine? Carbs? FI?

driving.gif
johnnyfast
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 30 2011, 03:44 AM) *

QUOTE(johnnyfast @ May 30 2011, 01:00 AM) *

:wttc:

1. Depends on what you're running. Stock L-Jet FI? Carbs? Any modification we should know about?

2. Yes. It's a feature, not a bug. Most all European cars behave the same way, it's a "parking light" that you control with your turn signal lever.

3. Too many possibilities to list here. We need more info. When was the last time the valves were adjusted? Stock engine? Carbs? FI?

:driving:

the engine is stock and the fuel system is fuel Injection. I just started working on the car it was sitting in my brothers backyard for a year and that the previous owner had it in the garage for 6 years or more not sure how many. so I'm kind of learning as i go.
as far as I know nobody that has done any-kind of modifications on it.
I replaced the plugs, distributor cap, and most of fuel system hoses, i took the gas tank off and cleaned it lots of rust inside, the fuel pump is under the tank and it just keeps pumping. i printed the hose diagram for the fuel system and reconnected all the hoses the right way.

SirAndy
QUOTE(johnnyfast @ May 31 2011, 09:28 PM) *
74 Porsche 914 1.8. The engine is stock and the fuel system is fuel Injection.

That would make it a L-Jet injection. The one system i know almost nothing about.

Hopefully somebody else can help you out here.
idea.gif
Mike Bellis
Try this...

L Jet manual

and this...

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/
mrgjones
I have a 74 1.8 and the fuel pump stays on all the time. Not sure if this is supposed to be but it hasn't caused me a problem yet as the fuel just recirculates into the tank. One big issue with the l jet is the vacuum. Make sure there aren't any leaks. The head temp sensor is also a usual suspect for abnormal idle. If I remember correctly there is an idle adjustment on the throttle body.? I'd say you probably need to adjust your timing tho. Also flush out the engine oil a couple times. Some people on here even use a small amount of ATF with cheap oil (run for a few minutes, do not drive this way) to clean out all the gunk on a car that's been sitting. Can't vouch personally for that one tho.

Good luck
johnnyfast
thanks for all your info guys it helps. im learning about this car as I go along. i hope the pump doesn't burnt out on me. its very noise and it gets annoying after a while i guess i just have to turn up the radio lol
KaptKaos
Your steering wheel isn't stock, so it doesn't have the canceling ring on it to turn off the directional.

welcome.png

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

BTW - your car is a '75. I'll show you next time.

OT: Rough game tonight. barf.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.