Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT - NO PC - Thanks to all who made my life possible
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SLITS
My thanks for all who stood in harm's way and allowed me to be who I am. The gift you bestowed is the greatest gift anyone could ask for ... Freedom to Be.

flag.gif

IronHillRestorations
Amen Brother! Freedom is never free.
KELTY360
QUOTE(SLITS @ May 30 2011, 07:03 AM) *

My thanks for all who stood in harm's way and allowed me to be who I am. The gift you bestowed is the greatest gift anyone could ask for ... Freedom to Be.

flag.gif

Freedom to Be.....thank you Ron, that thought cuts to the heart of the matter.

On Memorial Day I think first of the guys I served with in Nam that didn't come home. Guys that were young, many serving because their country ordered them to; but they performed with courage and honor. They served because it was their turn to protect a way of life that others before them have ensured and others after would take their place in the line of fire.

I'm also mindful that Native Americans were denied their way of life, so ours could be enhanced, by many of these same people. Ironically, Indian people pay great respect and honor to members of the armed forces. Many of them have served with distinction and bravery, often making the ultimate warrior's sacrifice. In their traditions, the job of a warrior is to protect their people; so they understand that vital task.

My service came at a time when there was no hero's welcome, no expressions of gratitude; that's just the way it was. Over the last 40 years the place where my service was honored in the most heartfelt manner was deep inside a Lakota reservation in South Dakota. I was just sitting in an informal circle of vets at a birthday party and we talked about our experiences; both grim and hilarious. I learned that my Vietnam experience allowed me to enter their circle and share as a brother. My subsequent visits to the Rez have just reemphasized that sense of being granted 'the keys to the city' because of the honor they pay to veterans. I just spoke to my Lakota 'sister', Rose, a former Navy nurse who served on a hospital ship offshore of Vietnam. She was heading to a ceremony with some vets and wanted me to stay close to the phone so I could also be part of it.

I tell this story not to make a political statement...but to remember. To remember that we've been granted a gift that comes with a responsibility to insure that others receive the same gift. To remember...that my Freedom to Be comes with a debt that can never be repaid. To remember...that our debt of gratitude belongs not just to those who served but to those whose way of life disappeared so ours could flourish.
rick 918-S
Damn near missed this post. agree.gif flag.gif Thanks to our fallen soldiers. flag.gif
jcambo7
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ May 30 2011, 03:22 PM) *

Damn near missed this post. agree.gif flag.gif Thanks to our fallen soldiers. flag.gif

agree.gif P.O.W and M.I.A. You are not forgotten!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.