Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Transmission
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
iiibdsiil
I have, I believe a 914/901 side shifter. I am pretty sure that's what I was told.

Anyways, we pulled the gears and all out of the transmission, to figure out what was the problem was with why it wasn't going into third, and other problems I have been having.

Basically, what I gathered, is this: I need new synchros on all the gears, I need the shifter, or slider, or whatever the dog teeth synchros are, and I believe I need one other one.

The mechanic quoted me $650 out the door. He said it is about 500 for the parts, and 150 for labor.

Does this sound fair?

Thanks in advanced.

- Brett
Part Pricer
If this guy is a good mechanic, I would get a written quote and hold him to the price.

I would bet that in preparing the quote you'll find that his price on the parts goes up.
Mark Henry
agree.gif

Done right I bet it's a couple of grand, is your mechanic a VW bug guy? Sounds like bug prices to me.
propricer
Synchros are about $95 each and sliders are about $125 each ... roughly.
brant
That price is way too cheap if he is actually using new parts...

the gasket kit is 50 and the bearings 250.. Add a 1st gear slider and one or two dogs and you will have 600 in parts easy....

b
tat2dphreak
yea, that price seems damn low... he may plan on using used parts from spare trannys, but that's only a temp solution... IMHO.

tranny work is NEVER cheap... sad.gif

if it were that price, we'd ALL have every part in the tranny replaced on GPs... biggrin.gif
sgomes
That price should set off major alarms headbang.gif

Purchase price: $1800
Cost to make it work at all: $2500

Cha-Ching.

If you get away with just the syncros you are way lucky. My bet is that there will be AT LEAST one bearing to be replaced and it just goes up from there.

Good luck and you're right to be cautious.

Shannon
iiibdsiil
Well, the thing is this. He works at Black Forest Racing, but has his own shop for the after hours. I know he knows what he is doing, he used to build race cars and what not.

I'm not sure if his name means anything or not, but his name is John Aitkens, and he is from Kentucky, and I think he was in one of the Carolina's for a while too.

Because I used to work at Black Forest, John Forbes still gives me cost on all parts. So, we order from a company named WorldPac, and don't pay retail.

He gave me a new quote today, because he ordered the parts today, and it was 558 for parts, and another 150 for labor to install everything. BTW, I already bought the basket set because I needed it since I was having him pull the transmission apart either way to check it.

- Brett
lmcchesney
Do you trust him and feel comfortable with him? If you did, you would probably not be here asking the question. Red Beard has a site detailing transmission work. http://www.syer.net/gearbox_rebuild.htm
Synchros for 1st can be bought new for $49. Engagement teeth $89-97. http://www.pap-parts.com/store/products.asp?dept=1565
I believe, most find it cheaper to purchase another 901 and replace the 1st synchro instead of completely rebuilding a malfunctioning unit.
Despite all this, if you think is stright up with you and will do a good job, the price is very reasonable for trust.
L. McC
IronHillRestorations
Sounds way to cheap to me, but if the guy has the parts in stock (and hasn't checked prices lately), AND he's got a excellent reputation, then jump on it. If you have one doubt about the quality of work he does, then run.

The last gear box that I had done cost something like $1200 for all new bearings, syncros, and seal/gasket kit.

PK cool.gif
iiibdsiil
I don't know that he is doing the bearings or not.

I trust the guy, but thought maybe someone else would have some other input. Everyone has different ways of fixing things, and thought maybe someone would come up with either a cheaper source for parts, or something that may have directed me away from this deal.

I will get the complete run down when I get the car back.

This is the same guy that just charged me $100 plus the gasket set to do the valve adjustment on the 3.2 in the 914. We both pulled the valve covers off together, each with one side, and then I turned the motor over while he found the top dead for the cylinder we were working on. It was well worth $100 and the time I spent learning, and helping it get done.

He even bought me lunch. Lol.

I don't know the guy that well, have known him for about 6 months now, and whenever I go by Black Forest, we always sit there and chit chat and what not. Just one of those people that you can tell are good people and whatever.

Thanks for expressing concern. If it was anyone else, I would definitely check the integrity behind it. But, being who he is, seeing how he works, and knowing him on at least a semi- personal level, you can just tell how people operate. Even though I am young, I generally have a pretty good gut feeling about people, although I have been screwed pretty bad before.

- Brett
Red-Beard
The price does not sound right. I would be careful.

James
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.